AMD vs Intel core i5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone!
My current PC parts are:
* AMD 4100 Quad-Core processor
*Asus m5a78l-m plus Motherboard
*8 Gigs of Corsair ram ddr3 (4x2)
* Strix gtx 970 graphics card
*650w Power supply
* Windows 10 64 Bit OS
I was going to upgrade all my parts besides the gtx 970 graphics card and 650w power supply to:
*Intel core i5 6600k processor
*gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING M5 motherboard
*Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (8x2) sticks of ram

Now my question is, should that make second life run faster / render quicker/ less lag? Also can I run second life between high and ultra settings no problem? If not, what should I add / change in my new pc build so that I can run on highest settings?

Anthony Hollow wrote:

Hello everyone!

My current PC parts are:

* AMD 4100 Quad-Core processor

*Asus m5a78l-m plus Motherboard

*8 Gigs of Corsair ram ddr3 (4x2)

* Strix gtx 970 graphics card

*650w Power supply

* Windows 10 64 Bit OS

I was going to upgrade all my parts besides the gtx 970 graphics card and 650w power supply to:

*Intel core i5 6600k processor

*gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING M5 motherboard

*Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (8x2) sticks of ram

Now my question is, should that make second life run faster / render quicker/ less lag? Also can I run second life between high and ultra settings no problem? If not, what should I add / change in my new pc build so that I can run on highest settings?

Wasted money. You won't have a noteworthy performance gain in SL.

J.

Most of your rig is already pretty good.  Honestly, ~the~ thing to upgrade would be that graphics card.  Your 4100 already has quite good per-core performance (important for SL and games which rarely split threads).  (^_^)

Add RAM, yes.  But look into a 4x kit.  I've heard of bandwidth and overclocking issues with 8x setups.  Really, only get 8 sticks when there's no other option for a very high grand total of capacity. (64GB or higher, currently) (>.>)

M5 is a really good series of ASUS boards.  My last setup was an m5a99 and it could run 1440p Ultra 24/7. (^_^)

That Strix now... GTX970 cards were soft on the wallet, but, tended to be lackluster until the ti came to play.  In comparison, the upcoming 1070 is going to be a beast for a buck.  But, consider looking for a discount 980ti after the 10xx release. (^_^)

Technically, there is no really good way to run SL to a peak without a totally monster system.  Given so much content is created by ameteurs, the lack of optimization can drive even the best hardware into the ground. (._.)

That said...

Run Faster: I'm assuming high FPS in general, quick to instant key response:

• GPU - Maximizes FPS in optimized environments.
  • CPU - Helps with FPS when optimizations go the wayside.
  • RAM - One could never be too rich, too thin, or have too much RAM.
  • Motherboard/Chipset - Very few benefits to justify an upgrade.  Pretty much get what works best with your selected CPU/RAM.

Render Quicker: I'm assuming loading new textures and less grayonaise after teleports:

• NIC - Look into network cards which reduce stack overhead.  Onboard NIC chips on many boards can be somewhat lacking.  Gigabit is nice to have, but, when plugging into a modem 10-100 port, it's little more than a word.
  • Video RAM - Something has to carry those on-screen textures.

Less Lag: I'm assuming lower hit when things get complex:

• CPU - In poorly optimized scenes, many resources get pushed back to the CPU.  Huge FPS dips in SL can be due to throttling and maximizing per-core MHz can fill that void.
  • RAM - Again.  But mostly to avoid HDD swapping.  Once data has to get pushed to paging, all hope is lost.  SL + Browser + maybe an Email app can easily fill 10GB of RAM.  Considering going double that.

As for highest settings.  Speed is money.  How fast do you want to pay?  As I stated, SL is simply poorly optimized.  It'll take a beast of a box to deliver fast + pretty.  My current machine, for example:

• Core i7-5960X (Overclocked to 4.2GHz, water cooled)
  • Asus RVE/U3.1 LGA2011-v3 X99 (water cooled)
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum (8x8)
  • EVGA GTX980 Classified (Overclocked to 1.5GHz, water cooled)
  • 1200W PSU
  • Win10x64

... and there are areas in SL where it will STILL tank.  Much of the time, I can run 2 to 4 SL windows at Ultra.  But, there are places and moments, when 1 window will go slide-show or even trigger a driver timeout. (>_<)

TL/DR: Your current setup is pretty good.  Add some RAM and a nicer GPU for significant gains.  Anything else will gain little for the price. (^_^)y

8 GB of RAM is more than adequate.  You do not need 16GB to make SL run faster.  If you had 4 GB, then yes, increasing that to 8 would have been a good recommendation. 

Given your graphics card, you should not have issues with the High setting.  I would agree with Jean that those upgrades will give only a minimal boost, if any. 

If your system is installed on a mechanical hard drive, upgrading to SSDs (ideally, one for your operating system, and a small capacity, inexpensive one for SL cache and chat logs) will give you more gain in performance than the three upgrades you mention combined.   

In my opinion that 4100 would bottleneck the ever loving crap out of a 1070,  And that's coming from the fact that I had a amd 8320 overclocked to 4.2 and still I couldnt run at 60fps on 1080p 60hz. 

Thats with stuff like Gta or black desert. 

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrading to the skylake z170 platform is a good upgrade path but I doubt you will see much if any difference in SL. SL servers are SL servers and the bottleneck most face is the network it is on. You might see SOME improvement with a gpu upgrade but I doubt you even use 100% of your gtx970 as it is..maybe..but unlikely at 1080p or 1440.

Sl is an odd beast and nothing is optimized as there are so many variables from one sim server to the next and one creator to the next. You would probably still have mostly the same issues running 4x GTX980ti's in SLI using dual xeon 16 core chips with hyperthreading because ..well because it's SL. LOL

• 7 months later...

Yes the old AMD vs Intel fanboys/girls on both sides abound. I know older post, BUT still some are using are AMD FX-4100 processor in SL too (am I the only one lol) You got options:

A- You do know you can overclock an AMD FX-4100 to an easy 4.0GHz/core 24/7 stable on air? In your motherboard BIOS assuming your board had oc options change FSB to 206...CPU multiplier to x19.5...diasble C1E...Cool n Quiet...& AMD CPU Turbo....& Speed Spectrum ....Enable Core Calibration to "auto"...Save your Configuration...pc will auto shutdown & auto reboot. I had mine up to 5.0GHz on liquid cooling recently, but she got a little unstable, so I have it @ stable 24/7 4.7GHz/core

Take that money you were going to spend on Intel i5, etc increase your RAM to 12-16GB (2x8GB or 1x8GB + 1x4GB)...upgrade to a GTX 1060

*B- The new AMD Ryzen CPUs are to be released during 1st week of 3/17 they will support DDR4 RAM, PCI-E 3.0...I am going to wait for some 3rd party benchmark tests before I pull the trigger on a new motherboard...new RAM, but at least any AM3-AM3+  CPU cooler will fit on the upcoming Ryzen processor/motherboards according to AMD. IF the AMD hype is for real I am going to be broke LOL.

C- Spend your money on the Intel i5, but I agree with another poster..most likely you'll  not see a big performance increase **solely ** for SL use.  I do tend to play some pc games; since STEAM supports my Linux distro.

RED team vs Green team       war is *censored*

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2637 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.