avatar limit on homestead and possible problem of not being able to log into my land

Jack Allandale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i want to rent a land about 4096 sqm. and i see many place which r divied into parcels.

total land size is 64000 sqm or something like that.  that makes 64000/4000 = 16 parcels.

so lets say i decided to rent such a place. and that landlord rented all those parcels. which means there r 16 individual avatars who rented that whole sim.

as far as i read, homestead sims have 20 avatar limit.

lets say all of 16 renters r online and r doing something on their lands. thats very possible.. and lets say one of those renters have friends and he invited them to his land. lets say maybe 5 people.. it s also very possible.

or lets say all those 16 renters r couples and they wont invite anybody to their land. due to avatar limits there is a very possible chance that half of the couples wont be able to log into their land if they come online at the same time.

so in such a case, due to the avatar limits on homesteads, i may not be able to log into my parcel which i rented. because total people on that sim will be 20, except me..

is this mathematic right?

or is  avatar limit  per parcel, not per sim? (such as max people can come to my parcel is 20... and the capacity of whole sim is 16 parcels  x 20 people..) i m very confused . and it seems ridicilous to me to pay real money to a place whih i may not be able to use.

the avatar limit for homesteads is 20, so 20 is the maximum of avatars there the same time.

So if nr 21 wants to tp in, he gets the message that the region is full.

If there are 20 on your neighbours parcel alone, the other 15 can not enter, no visitors, no owners.

I underlined maximum because the limit can be set lower.

You will encounter a limit on ANY sim, parcel  ... so if you pay for homestead, mainland or full sim won't make a difference.

First...I see very few homesteads divided down to 1/16ths. Even if they start that way people end up wanting extra prims. There is a huge difference on the number of prims on a homestead vs a full region. Second, in all my years running an estate I never, ever saw every resident on at the same time. There are just way to many places and times in the world to get that much concurrency in one region.

If it did happen though, as others have said, then yes you could be blocked from your home. If you are concerned, why not grab the same sized parcel on a full region? Price per prim is usually cheaper, get more prims for the same sized parcel and full regions can hold lots more people.

Jack Allandale wrote:

i want to rent a land about 4096 sqm. and i see many place which r divied into parcels.

total land size is 64000 sqm or something like that.  that makes 64000/4000 = 16 parcels.

so lets say i decided to rent such a place. and that landlord rented all those parcels. which means there r 16 individual avatars who rented that whole sim.

as far as i read, homestead sims have 20 avatar limit.

lets say all of 16 renters r online and r doing something on their lands. thats very possible.. and lets say one of those renters have friends and he invited them to his land. lets say maybe 5 people.. it s also very possible.

or lets say all those 16 renters r couples and they wont invite anybody to their land. due to avatar limits there is a very possible chance that half of the couples wont be able to log into their land if they come online at the same time.

so in such a case, due to the avatar limits on homesteads, i may not be able to log into my parcel which i rented. because total people on that sim will be 20, except me..

or is  avatar limit  per parcel, not per sim? (such as max people can come to my parcel is 20... and the capacity of whole sim is 16 parcels  x 20 people..) i m very confused . and it seems ridicilous to me to pay real money to a place whih i may not be able to use.

"Homestead" doesn't mean any region used for "homes" - it's a specific term for a region that's the size of a full region but has lower limits for allowable land impact and number of avatars. Most "homestead" regions are rented as a single unit or at most in about 4 pieces. Regions that have 16 small parcels for rent are usually "full" regions and can support from 40 to 80 avatars at once depending on how the owner set the limits.

Jack Allandale wrote:

Yes but what are the chances everybody are logged on and at home at the same time? A residental sim with all parcels rented out is bound to have a large number of passive tenants who only log on once a year or so and even the most active users are only likely to stay in their SL homes for a few hours a week.

well considering the last 2 days, i can say chances is %100.. because i had to wait 1 hour to log into my parcel. region was full.. i dont know if all residents are logged at the same time but maybe someone invited 5 friends and some couples came to their home. i wasnt able to log into my place  i couldnt see what happened there.  what i want to say is 20 avatar limit is ridicilous. if a company cant handle a sim with more than 20 avatars, i think it shouldnt ask for 200 dolars per month for renting it. 

Jack Allandale wrote:

well considering the last 2 days, i can say chances is %100.. because i had to wait 1 hour to log into my parcel. region was full.. i dont know if all residents are logged at the same time but maybe someone invited 5 friends and some couples came to their home. i wasnt able to log into my place  i couldnt see what happened there.  what i want to say is 20 avatar limit is ridicilous. if a company cant handle a sim with more than 20 avatars, i think it shouldnt ask for 200 dolars per month for renting it. 

First thing: a homestead is not 200 dollars per month but "only" 125 (or 95 for grandfathered ones). And second thing: if you want more than 20 people on a region, you have to go for a full one (and have to pay for it 295/195 dollars). Cutting a homestead into 16 parcels is just crazy.

Jack Allandale wrote:

They can handle it, that's why full sims exist. Homesteads are designed, specifically, to use less server space(and therefore, they are cheaper in price for those that own them, than a full sim). That means they have lower prim counts AND lower avatar limits. Sim owners can change the av imits to whatever they want, as long as they don't exceed the maximum number allowed by LL. Homesteads, since their inception, were never created to allow all of the same things full sims do. For some, that is their appeal, yet for others a full sim is more up their alley. YTou have to figure out which one works best for you.

Events(parties, club events, get togethers with 10+ people, etc..) can be a bit of a problem on some homesteads-at least for some renters, particularly when people who own them decide to rent them and divide the land up in what some might deem "too many" parcels. Of course one *can* split it up into as many parcels as he or she wants, but whether or not it is a reasonable choice based on the intended use for the sim, is up for interpretation. 

Jack Allandale wrote:

well considering the last 2 days, i can say chances is %100.. because i had to wait 1 hour to log into my parcel. region was full.. i dont know if all residents are logged at the same time but maybe someone invited 5 friends and some couples came to their home.

Wow, that's rather amazing. So that's where all the people in SL are then. ;)

If it happened only once, it may be that somebody was holding one helluva party for their friends right then. If it happens regularly, somebody's running a public club at the sim.

Jack Allandale wrote:

i wasnt able to log into my place  i couldnt see what happened there.

It is possible to get some idea what is happening: look up the sim on the map and see where the green dots are located. That should tell you which parcel is causing the problem.

Jack Allandale wrote:

what i want to say is 20 avatar limit is ridicilous. if a company cant handle a sim with more than 20 avatars, i think it shouldnt ask for 200 dolars per month for renting it. 

LL set the limit for number of avatars on a homestead, not the estate owner.   This is one reason renting land on a homestead is cheaper then renting the same size parcel on a full sim.  The other reasons are less prims and scripting resources available. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.