Where can I find a sky parcel for a group hangout?

CallumYorkieLad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Any parcel of land can hold a sky platform. So you can rent land and put a platform up for your group, but need to put it as high or higher than the covenant says.

Some people stack platforms one on top of another but far enough apart that regular chat and sounds don't intrude on the parcels of other renters.  These platforms can be all sizes and as big as a sim.  Some will be landscaped and hold buildings, other just the platform.  They all have prim limits less that the prim limit of the parcel that they are on because the available prims are divided among the platforms.  You also can't control media through the land tools or stream your own music there.  You can use shared media though.

One thing to watch out for is if the covenant or rental agreement restricts what type of venue you can have on your land or platform and how high the platform must be.  Generally residential sims do not allow group hangouts.  So look for commercial or mixed use sims and read the covenant or rental agreement carefully.

Note that a full prim sim is set to hold 40 people by default and a homestead is set to hold 20 by default.  The estate owner can raise the limit but won't necessarily do so.  If you have 20 people at a time on you platform, and you haven't rented a parcel big enough to hold that many, then potentially other renters will not be able to tp or log into their parcels and that will result in complaints to the estate owner and possible eviction for you.  So be sure to check not only the covenant or lease agreement to see if you can have a hangout there but check with the estate owner to see what they say is the limit for the number of people you can have on your parcel at one time.

• 4 weeks later...

CallumYorkieLad wrote:

I want a skyland or residential land where I can set up a group hangout spot for roughly 20 people to come visit. Need a large bit of land over 4096sq 

You do not want a residential parcel...

As soon as your landlord finds out from your agrieved neighbors that you have 20 odd people there every night, and a tip jar so they can help with the rent, said landlord will call you a club owner, and turf you off the residential plot with no refunds...

You want an 1/8 sim or 1/4 sim parcel, on what is sometimes advertised as a "class 8 server rated for commercial use" by land companies, A 1/4 sim from one of the large rental firms on a private region (definately NOT mainland) can be had for 4500 L$ a week and up, commercial rating for your 'club' will probably cost more, shopping around the large renters you should be able to find a plot between 5000 and 6500 a week.

Skybox vs ground is largely irrelevant. Try one of the various flavours of Cheung Estates maybe, in fact one of them had an advert for 1/4 parcels on the forums here recently.

That's why i said 'advertised as', it's Marketing sith speak, but it's used for regions where said marketing sith will allow you top open a club...

EDIT: Being aware that a lot of "SL Definitive knowledge" is actually, fact free obsolete data from unmaintained knowledgebases and old old community posts...

I did a web search for server classes, and the results were interesting.

An official LL Marketing sith post from 2009, claiming class no longer exusts, but then pointing out in the body of the text that there ARE different levels of server hardware and that in 2009, the newer faster hardware tended to get alloccated to new regions, leaving old regions running on old creaky hardware, and that LL were going to 'try' to share the new toys out more fairly.

I also found THIS thread https://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion/Be-aware-of-landlords-claiming-their-class-7-8-regions-and-who/td-p/1985621 where the OP quotes a conversation he had with a member of the linden clan in a support chat in 2013 who fobbed him off with a link to the 2009 blog post, and a claim that 'users cannot see what class of server they are on'.

Further down the thread, other people point out that there are/were ways to check server class, and points out that class 8 servers did exist.

Result seems to be that yes there are class 8 servers, but finding out if you are on one is tricky, and it could easily change, or not... randomly, subject to the will of the Dark Gods of the Grid.

Meanwhile, if you want to find a popular brand of Danish beer, you still search for "Probably the best lager in the world" even though the best lager in the world is made in china to a 140 yr old recipe in a 140 yr old german factory shipped to china as a kit, to supply beer to german troops 140 yrs ago... Go figure...

Alwin Alcott wrote:

I hope you know this is just marketing talk?... there are NO class 8 server sims....it's bs.

Just to split some hairs, if I understand correctly, there were 24,024 class 8 sims as of Januray 29th. But yes, it is bs since all sims are the same class these days. ;)

ChinRey wrote:

Alwin Alcott wrote:

I hope you know this is just marketing talk?... there are NO class 8 server sims....it's bs.

Just to split some hairs, if I understand correctly, there were 24,024 class 8 sims as of Januray 29th. But yes, it is bs since all sims are the same class these days.
;)

Just as a side note, in 2013, when a noname linden in livechat told somebody that there were no more class distinctions between servers, a survey of the grid showed that approximately 12% of the grid was running on the "imaginary bs" class 801 servers...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.