Tier advice please

Inky Snowpaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, fellow SLers ~ in spite of being an avid and active member for years, I've always contributed my 512 tier to a group and haven't purchased on my own behalf. Now, I've placed an auction bid (which has another day and a half to run), and I'd really appreciate your valuable input.

Here's the background. The group I belong to has sold its land in the last 24 hours and and currently has no landholdings. The contributed tier (including my 512) is 2048; any additional cost in the past has been paid by the group owner. If I'm successful at auction, I will deed the land to the group, and be responsible for any additional tier payment.

My questions are these:

a) If I withdraw my tier from the group before the auction, will it count as a contribution to my tier for the new land? Will this affect the group tier for the month, or won't it matter since the group no longer has any landholdings? If I can't contribute my tier to the auction purchase, it will push me into a higher tier bracket, which is quite an important factor for me.

b) When should I deed the land to the group, to avoid being billed twice for tier?

I know one of you wonderful folk will have the perfect answer to these questions, so I thank you in advance! :-)

If you win an auction SL puts you to its tier limit no mutter what that limit was before.

If you have the tier already donated to the group and you win the auction, then you will upgrade to the next tier level.

You need to take off the donation from the group, before you win the auction, in order to remain in the present tier.

If you win the auction, wait until your day after your billing date and then deed the land to a group, in order to avoid double charge.

Since the group has no land at this moment, nothing will happent to the group.

If you dont win the auction, donate again the meters to the group and search and find a parcel that is looking good for you and buy it "for group" You can see such a button when you right click on the land and select "Info about Land"

That way you arent getting charged double and all are good!

Edited:

I was assuming you are going to bid on a 512m parcel, but the more I read your question the more I realise you are going for a 2048m parcel.. In this case you will be charged an amount of US$15 as it says in their official price list

Doesnt mutter who is the owner/founder of the group. Only those who donate meters to the group are getting charged tier from SL.. So, in your case you will not charged anything, and the others who have donate the rest meters to cover the 2048m parcel they will pay the whatever their donation asks for.

That was for the month two...

For the month one, since you are going to win an auction of a parcel of 2048 meters, you will pay US$15.

So an auction isnt the best way for you to have a parcel.

The best is to buy it directly from in world and buy it "for group" as I say above. So, if into the group has your 512m donation and the rest donations from other people then you and them will not get to pay anything extra.

Hope my "beenglish" was good enough to get you understand :)

Wish you to get exactly the parcel you are looking for!

Thanks Beethros - you're a star! :-D

Opps, I just read your P.S.! Actually, this is where the situation is difficult - the land is bigger than that, and if I can't use my tier towards it, it will push me into the 8192 tier instead of 4096. This is why it's important to me to know whether my basic tier will count if I withdraw it from the group.

Yes, I would have preferred to buy existing land on behalf of the group, but this particular piece of land at auction is what the group would like, and I agreed to do it this time. It's fair, because others have done it in the past, so I don't mind, but of course I want to keep the tier cost as low as possible.

Your "beenglish" is super-good, by the way, and I can see you've offered help to many people in the forums. You're still a star! :-D

I may be too late here with this but one thing I've found that unless you have the available tier for a new auction win *on your avatar as an individual* and NOT in the group, LL will automatically tier you up. In fact, I've found that they can tier you up ANYWAY in an odd glitch where you still show space of tier and inworld you don't have more tier available, but suddenly they bill you at the next level.

So you have to be extra certain you have all the tier you need on yourself, as an individual, and have it out of the group. You could temporarily un-tier a group for a few hours while you are sorting this out but don't leave it undertiered or the Lindens will seize the land.

You can try "deed to group" and "owner makes contribution" but for some reason, this doesn't work to simply shift the parcel into the group, and you need to have tier pre-loaded in that group to receive the new item.

It might be possible that it can fail if the group is already deficient on donated tier; it would make sense that sometimes trying to deed land and tier at the same time could hang up if there is already a flag on the group having too much land.

I've never had a problem with contributing tier at the same time. It has always worked for me.

Thanks very much Prokofy - no, not too late, as the auction doesn't end until tomorrow, so I'm grateful for that useful piece of information. A friend ended up paying far more than she'd intended or imagined a few years ago, so I'm keen to avoid the same thing! I'll mention all of this to my group, so that we can try to get it right.

Thanks again! :-)

Thanks for your input too, Brian. The group went ahead and sold the small piece of land we were holding, so it currently has a certain amount of unused tier, but not yet enough to cover the new purchase, which is for a bigger parcel of land. However, since it seems that I shouldn't deed the land until the day after the first tier payment (which I will make), we'll have time to sort out sufficient tier within the group before the next billing day :-)

Just wanted to note (and I just skimmed but didn't see it mentioned) that #1 Tier goes retroactively so in order to have reclaimed your tier from the group it would have needed to happen a month(ish) ago. And if you give up premium you will get charged for the last month of land use AFTER you give up your status. So you need to give up your land a month before leaving (friends learned that the hard way). That last was mostly a general comment, not to you but important to know.

Also -- and a friend of mine really got hurt on this even though he CALLED the LL accounting office and asked  (they gave the wrong answer) --- your tier payment date starts from the first time you ever bought land (or I am going to assume your donation date). It has nothing to do with when you buy the current land.    So if your tier date is the 25th say and you buy land the 24th you end up paying for a month you didn't use this.  You should be able to check your tier date in your account on the web.  Plan ahead if you can.

I don't think many folks understand that until they get caught in the red tape.

Good luck. And yes, if you shop for land well you can get it cheaper buying off the grid than at auction. So unless there is a reason to want that specific piece you will probably be better off sluething the map or ads.

My tier date is the same date I became premium. I have no idea how anyone's can be different from that.

Chic Aeon wrote:

Just wanted to note (and I just skimmed but didn't see it mentioned) that #1 Tier goes retroactively so in order to have reclaimed your tier from the group it would have needed to happen a month(ish) ago. And if you give up premium you will get charged for the last month of land use AFTER you give up your status. So you need to give up your land a month before leaving (friends learned that the hard way). That last was mostly a general comment, not to you but important to know.

This is very confusing to understand exactly what you are saying, but it looks as if you are making the same claim that Bee made which is not correct. The confusion that causes you to owe more than expected is related to the actual dates (and the order of transfer sequence) that you/your group actually held land in relation to the tier being applied.

You cannot have tier donated to a group at the same time you try to use it for land that you are personally holding. This is the error for which most people fall victim. They attempt to buy land first and then deed to group when the group already held all of the tier they expected to be applied. Even a few seconds for the transaction is where the unexpected charges take place. Nor can you buy back land from the group before having the tier available personally rather than donated to the group.

It does not matter if the group held less land than  donated tier allowed; it is still donated to them and accounted for as square meters the group has reserved room to obtain. You cannot buy land towards this tier unless done inworld, in which case you must use the Buy for Group option (which is not available from the auction).

Once you reclaim tier from a group, it is available for your personal land holding usage immediately. Not a single second before, but yes, right away, without needing to wait a month before using it toward land you wish to purchase.

Yes, I agree, that's the issue.

The land menu is confusing because it seems as if you can get  the land and deed it to the group and put "owner makes contribution" and all of it will go in the group. The menu indeed implies that. But the group has to have tier in it to receive that land or it bounces (or the system tiers you up).

Your tier can't be used twice simultaneously as your tier applied to that land and also as the group's -- you have to take it off yourself and put it in the group. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.