Thoughts on Buying Islands

Nalytha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been doing a lot of reading today (I read three books actually on the matter in addition to various things in the internet), and I was hoping to lay out some of my interpretations on what I have read and seek clarification. 

1. If I buy and island from LL, it would cost $600 initially and one month (and every month after), it would cost $295; correct?

2. This is not considered "grandfathered;" correct?  

3. If I buy from a private seller, I have two options: a "grandfathered" island which has a tier price of $195 or a non "grandfathered" one with a tier price of $295; correct? 

4. Am I right to estimate that the average price for an island that is not grandfathered is roughly $300 initial price? 

5. Am I right to estimate that the average price for a grandfathered island is around $900? (my numbers may be way off, and please point out if they are!) 

6. About how much can you save by buying an island directly from an owner versus from LL? 

7. Does it take about six months to break even by choosing a grandfathered option for an island? 

8. Say I buy one island (from LL or from a player) today and I buy another island next month. Are there any options to connect the islands? 

9. I hope this last question is not too controversial. About how much money, on average, could be realistically expected on an island after you have paid LL the monthly tier? About how long does it take, on average, to break even with the startup cost of an island. Does this monthly profit vary widely depending on what you are using the island for? Mainly, Residential living or renting the entire island out. 

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the matter. 

Nalytha wrote:

I have been doing a lot of reading today (I read three books actually on the matter in addition to various things in the internet), and I was hoping to lay out some of my interpretations on what I have read and seek clarification. 

1. If I buy and island from LL, it would cost $600 initially and one month (and every month after), it would cost $295; correct?

first month is included, first payment after bying is indeed 295

2. This is not considered "grandfathered;" correct?  

correct

3. If I buy from a private seller, I have two options: a "grandfathered" island which has a tier price of $195 or a non "grandfathered" one with a tier price of $295; correct? 

yes

4. Am I right to estimate that the average price for an island that is not grandfathered is roughly $300 initial price? 

no, depends totally on several things.. if one wants to buy soon it will be lower, if he has time it will be more, there's no real average.

5. Am I right to estimate that the average price for a grandfathered island is around $900? (my numbers may be way off, and please point out if they are!) 

see answer 4

6. About how much can you save by buying an island directly from an owner versus from LL? 

lots ... sims going from 100 to 400 ... LL wants 600 BUT LL includes full month fees

7. Does it take about six months to break even by choosing a grandfathered option for an island? 

depends how you want to look at it... initial costs are not always taken in account fully to get a even balance, a sim has always a remaining value. Not so sure you could call it a break even point, time will learn if it's that.

For no reason LL can decide to put the levels at the grandfathered rates without upfront fee than... or not...

8. Say I buy one island (from LL or from a player) today and I buy another island next month. Are there any options to connect the islands?

yes

9. I hope this last question is not too controversial. About how much money, on average, could be realistically expected on an island after you have paid LL the monthly tier? About how long does it take, on average, to break even with the startup cost of an island. Does this monthly profit vary widely depending on what you are using the island for? Mainly, Residential living or renting the entire island out. 

if you start this way you can forget it... landrentals are profitable, but your initial costs will take years to come out, have a look at the prices inworld... some rents are even UNDER/SAME as the monthly cost a normal sim owner would get from LL. Big landlords seem to have rebates because of their scale, and of course some have lots of old granthfathered sims.

With one or just a handfull sims you will get the normal price...and you have to rent it out for according prices or get losses every month.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on the matter. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2881 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.