Questions about types of parcels.

failedfetus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello there! 

I'm looking to open up a community parcel, so should I look for a homestead or mainland? (Not sure about the meaning of those.)

I'm only looking for a 300 prim parcel with either a weekly pay or monthly. 

Must be adult too, I plan on using :mused: on it. 

Thanks for the help in advance!

It is going to be very difficult to find a commercial homestead (less prims than a regular sim and doesn't hold a many visitors) as most homesteads are residential or LOW commercial and not that many are adult.

So you best bet will likely be the mainland adult content Zindra. If  you are buying you should have no trouble. The last time I looked over there most of the continent was for sale (yes almost all yellow and quite surprising).   By the way, a typical lot would be a 1024 with 234 prims for $5 a month with your free 512 discount. The next step up would be a 1536 with 351 land impact. I think that is $8 a month tier again with the free premium tier bonus.   Make sure you check the amount of tier you will pay before buying. There are breaking points of you are on mainland and paying directly to Linden Lab.

failedfetus wrote:

I'm looking to open up a community parcel, so should I look for a homestead or mainland? (Not sure about the meaning of those.)

A "community parcel" -- did you mean "commercial" perhaps?

The "homestead or mainland" thing is a bit like "apples and Abstract Expressionists."

Mainland is the category of SL land run directly by Linden Lab, so you pay them directly for its use, and must be a Premium member to obtain it. That's in contrast to "Estate" land in which whole regions are obtained by private parties and often rented-out to other private users. Mainland requires some up-front cost to "buy" the land, followed by monthly "tier" -- a minimal 512 sq.m. of which is bundled for free with Premium.

If you don't want to go Premium (yet), you can rent either from an Estate or a Mainland owner.

Homestead is a category of region with diminished capacity compared to normal "full-prim" sims. Although it's possible to rent part of a Homestead (only from an Estate -- no Mainland Homesteads are available for landownership), the terms must be very restrictive if the owners are being honest about the capacity limits.

As Chic says, all Adult Mainland is on the Zindra continent. Zindra is more varied than other Mainland continents, so lots of (possibly confusing) options to choose among. In general, Zindra land is substantially more expensive to buy than comparable non-Adult Mainland.*

Estates, however, rent widely dispersed Adult regions, on a (usually) weekly basis. Per-week rents on Estates generally run somewhat higher than on Mainland.

* To be fair, some Zindra regions have no comparable non-Adult counterparts. There are (failed) parts of Zindra (the "Kama City" sims) that restrict terraforming but are only single-primmed, and other regions that are double-primmed and permit terraforming. It's just a tricky place to buy land for anyone who's not an "old hand" at Mainland.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2923 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.