Premium House Avatar Limit?

RazealKresh2010

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How many are in the sim when the message occurs? Typically, on mainland  - which Linden houses are you can have up to 40 people PER SIM but things work much better with 20.   I have never heard of any limits on Linden houses and they have been around a long while.

If you want to invite more than 20 folks over (and move), you need private lands which can hold 40 ish well and I have been in groups much larger but with most folks sitting and listening :D.   Also note that if you continually have large groups on your land, your landlord or estate owner may put you in the "club" category which many do not allow.    

You might also want to read the rules for your Linden home. There may be a rule THERE. Remember you neighbors might want to visit their homes and they can't if you have the sim filled. 

There is no hard limit.  However a sim only holds so many people and if your parcel is holding more than it's "fair" share then other people can't TP or log into their houses or have their own guests over.  Also avatars are a frequent cause of lag when there are a lot around, so your immediate neighbors may be experiencing undue lag.  Neither situation is fair to the other home owners.   If it continues, then they may complain to LL who will step in to make sure everyone can enjoy their property which they are entitled to.

• Like 1

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

I understand this, but If I can't use this house, then what's the point? I'm not looking to cause trouble, but it seems more like LL's problem.

No it isn't.  It's just the technology.  The servers can only handle so much at a time.  The 'problem' exists on any sim on the grid with homesteads much more restrictive, since their limit is set at 20 as a default.  If you have a big crowd at your house frequently the only fair thing to do is rent or buy land that supports that number of people.  In your case at least full prim sim for an average of 20 to 40 people.

If you buy land on the mainland, you can abandon your Linden home before you purchase the land and get the first 512sqm tier free.  If you form a group and some of your friends contribute their free 512sqm tier to the group than the free tier amount increases.  As a bonus groups that own mainland can own 10% more tier free.  So for each 512sqm donated, you get 563sqm free tier.

there are no real rules for it.

But... you talk about a group and that there are too many... what is too many?...what group?

Starts to sound to me it's a little more than just have a few friends over. And... commercial use, like clubs are not allowed.

Keep also in mind, if you fill the total avatar count for the sim, or make it impossible for others to enter their home they can report you for resource abuse.

If you really want to have that many people over, a Linden Home might not be the right place for you.

• Like 1

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

I've had 20 hanging out at one time normally, maybe 40 max.

that is simply abuse of resources and preventing the xxx amount of others living there to use their home.

You can be removed from your land for that.

This has nothing to do with normal use of a home.

As Amethyst already pointed you at, you use the resources for a tull sim..

• Like 1

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

I understand this, but If I can't use this house, then what's the point? I'm not looking to cause trouble, but it seems more like LL's problem.

You can use the Linden Home, in the way its intended, as a small starter home. But not as a club location. Because lets be honest...regularly having 20-40 people at your house is not normal for a privatly used house and kind of unfair to anyone else sharing the sim.

• Like 4

I've never seen a LL homes sim with more than 3 or 4 people on it at one time. And, since the max number avatars on a full LL sim is set at 80 (or used to be) having 40 people over won't impact anyone. Most of the time there will be no one else there to complain anyway.

However a Lindon Lab employee might be curious at the large number of avatars congregated at a private residence.

:)

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

I've never seen a LL homes sim with more than 3 or 4 people on it at one time. And, since the max number avatars on a full LL sim is set at 80 (or used to be) having 40 people over won't impact anyone. Most of the time there will be no one else there to complain anyway.

However a Lindon Lab employee might be curious at the large number of avatars congregated at a private residence.

:)

there are complaints

people experience lag and can't go to their home

40 people at one Linden Home is not residental use but commercial, so illegal.

That there are seldom 3 or 4 people there is no reason at all to take all resources for yourself.... if the 5 th resident comes and can't reach his home because of this abuse it's AR'ble

OP is useing the resources of a full sim, that's not where Linden homes are for.

If you thnk otherwise , great but you'r totally wrong.

Next to this the agent limit on L homes sims is 55, so the OP might be missing some numbers, with 40 the sim should be accessable... but isn't, so around 50/55 is more likely.

• Like 1

Yeah I didn't realize it was an issue until someone brought it up, a bit rudely in my opinion. And my neighboorhood is usually empty so. Hell I don't know, I might not renew my premium if I have to by an entire sim just for when I am occasionally online and want to interact with my own little fantasy group.

How is it commercial? I'm not selling anything?

I'm not going to sit here and argue, because I know how..primitive and out-dated LL can be. I wanted to live my fantasy world out on LL, and have my fantasy world there when I logged in, but I have run into brick wall after brick wall, and apperantly even the server side software can't handle it. Very sad, especially after LL has already gotten hundreds of real life dollars from me.

• Haha 1

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

How is it commercial? I'm not selling anything?

........ want to interact with my own little fantasy group.

that is exactly the problem... Linden homes are Residental

commercial doesn't need to mean you make money with it, it's the purpose of use of the land that is in question here.

Residental is alone or with a little family/group.. 4/5 people for example....using normal resources at a sim, not 50 or more .."little phantasy group "

come on.. it can't really be this difficult to understand.

Well obviously he's using it for a club, which is prohibited but it won't matter if theres 40 people in one house, or 40 people spread out over 20 houses, the lag would be the same.

Besides i thought Jelly dolls was supposed to cure the avatar generated lag problem.

Note to self, if u see Alwin inworld, set to "never render"

• Maximum number of agents
    • Full region: 100 (Typically set to 40 on mainland, 55 on Linden Homes regions, but this does vary. Some meeting areas have this set to 60 and higher.)
      • Recent server performance improvements make regions with 60 agents in them perform quite well.
    • Homestead: 20
    • Openspace: 10

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

We do need to remember that how a Server performs and how a Viewer performs can be two very diferent things.

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:<

Well obviously he's using it for a club,

Actually he more or less said he's using it for some kind of private role play with a large number of NPCs:

RazealKresh2010 wrote (a bit out of context):

and want to interact with my own little fantasy group.

I don't think there are any rule prohibiting that but there is still a maximum number of avatars allowed in a sim. It would be really interesting to see what LL would do in a case like that. I assume the OP has permission to create all those alts and that he didn't follow Lindal's incorrect answer in the thread Theresa mentioned. (For the record: Linden Lab's official alt policy states that you can have up to five alts per household, not per email address: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_account_policies )

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

Besides i thought Jelly dolls was supposed to cure the avatar generated lag problem.

Client side avatar lag, yes but the avatar count limit is to keep the server load down. As I write this, we are five avatars at Coniston, three people doing some quiet, low key rp in a house here, me standing absolutely still on my work paltform and one visitor flying across. The sim server is using more than 1 ms of its 22 ms frame time quota just to keep track of what we're all up to. Add the extra physics time and script time and such required by each agent and it's easy to see why there has to be a limit. (Harder to see why the limit differ from 40 to 100 for sims that are supposed to have exactly the same server power available to them though.)

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

The avatar limit is actually because of software, correct? I know SL is over ten years old now.

I guess I may finally have to abandon SL due to it's limitations, not to mention it's user base. What a waste of money.

You're looking to pay $6/month for their $200/month service level, I don't think they will miss you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ChinRey wrote:

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:<

Well obviously he's using it for a club,

Actually he more or less said he's using it for some kind of private role play with a large number of NPCs:

RazealKresh2010 wrote (a bit out of context):

and want to interact with my own little fantasy group.

I don't think there are any rule prohibiting that but there is still a maximum number of avatars allowed in a sim. It would be really interesting to see what LL would do in a case like that. I assume the OP has permission to create all those alts and that he didn't follow Lindal's incorrect answer in the thread Theresa mentioned. (For the record: Linden Lab's official alt policy states that you can have up to five alts per household,
not
per email address:
)

A club doesn't have to be a dance club or night club.  A group can have a place to hang out like a club house, which is obviously what he's using it for.  This is not a residential use.

There aren't any rules but you can AR for abuse of resources, which is what is going on here obviously from the complaints he's getting.

RazealKresh2010 wrote:

The avatar limit is actually because of software, correct? I know SL is over ten years old now.

Yes and no. Everything in a virtual reality simulation will add to the workload of the servers and clients. No matter how powerful the computers become and no matter how efficient the software is, there will always be limits to how much content (including avatars) it is possible to have before things start breaking down. It's easy to see that the SL software is rather inefficient - after ten years of unfocused buzzword driven patching up with no clear update strategy that goes without saying. But it's not nearly as bad as many seem to think, most of the performance issues we have are caused by too much and poorly optimized cotnent, not by the software.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

A club doesn't have to be a dance club or night club.  A group can have a place to hang out like a club house, which is obviously what he's using it for.

Or a "the Sims" style family rp, that's how I interpreted it but I may be wrong of course.

ChinRey wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

A club doesn't have to be a dance club or night club.  A group can have a place to hang out like a club house, which is obviously what he's using it for.

Or a "the Sims" style family rp, that's how I interpreted it but I may be wrong of course.

IMO, anytime there are 20 to 40 people in a house that's more than a 'family', whether it's roleplay or not.  It's a hangout for a group, whether that group is a harem or not.  It's not what a Linden Home was intended for.

You and the OP are free to call it what you want, of course, but it's an abuse of resources if it is effecting other homeowners to the point they are complaining about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1792 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.