Land refund question?

Centerfold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all, due to unforeseen circumstances I need to take a break from second life, however, I have paid a month in advance for a land I am using, I have 2 weeks remaining and contacted the landowner to explain the situation and that I'd be re-renting land with her on my return with help from the refunded lindens, but she has told me that they do not offer refunds, I was just curious if I have an entitlement to a refund or not? Only because i'm not really sure where I stand and feel as though I'm essentially paying for nothing, I don't want to sound petty, but I had just always assumed the customer had a right to have money returned for something they are not using, but I may be wrong. I could understand if my initial intentions were to stay there and I just decided to move on a whim, but RL is forcing me to take a step away from SL.

It is not unusual at all for a landlord not to offer refunds if you leave before your rent runs out.  More than likely it said so in the covenant or lease information.

In the future, only pay one week at a time.  The exception would be if a substantial discount is offered for paying a month at a time, which some landlords offer, or if the landlord has a refund policy.

What was in the agreement that you agreed to when you first rented?

Don't forget that the sim owner has to pay tier regardless of whether anyone is using it. LL doesn't refund the sim owner, they'd have to carry a cost.

Nobody in SL really has a right to anything, even "agreements" are a token gesture unless suitably notarised and more crucially, pursued through courts for legal redress, as that's where "rights" are enforced.

• 2 weeks later...

You aren't entitled to a refund unless the land owner says otherwise. Most land owners see someone leaving as a cost. You leave and it means they need to find someone to take your place or they will be losing out, therefore the longer they have you there paying the better and they won;t refund you just becasue you need to leave.

I will generally refund my tenants up to 8 weeks rent if they need to leave SL for RL reasons, or I will add an extra week or 2 of free rent if they need a break (thatway when they come back they still have the same time remaining as they had before they left). This is however subject to my discretion and I will only do it for people who have been with my long enough to warrent it and only if they actually pay their rent on time. If I have to keep contacting you to say your rent is overdue then I'm not going to refund you anything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.