Land query

MBizet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I buy a region, do I also get the surrounding waters? I would like to be able to launch boats and surf from my region. If I pick one surrounded by water, can I do this, or do I have to buy the four regions around my region too, and keep them as water?

MBizet wrote:

If I buy a region, do I also get the surrounding waters? I would like to be able to launch boats and surf from my region. If I pick one surrounded by water, can I do this, or do I have to buy the four regions around my region too, and keep them as water?

You can only enter land or water that's running on a simulator at Linden Lab. If the map doesn't show the water as a square tile with a name in the corner, water outside your region is called "void water" - basically a mirage. Your viewer draws it but you can never enter it. If you want to use more than one region's worth of water you'll need to add at least one more region but it can be an "open space" region, which is much less expensive than a full one but has limits to the amount of prims and avatars it can contain.

MBizet wrote:

You can't just "pick one surrounded by water" unless those water sims are owned by somebody who wants you to add a sim there. Even then, I think having adjacent regions with different owners is a very special arrangement with the Lab, something that's done in the Blake Sea where United Sailing Sims regions are adjacent regions in the Mainland Estate. There seem to be a few other areas like that.

But maybe you mean "buying" a region within an Estate that keeps water sims. There must be such things (besides the obvious ones on Mainland). They wouldn't even need to be outrageously more expensive than normal regions -- maybe only twice as expensive? -- because those water regions can be OpenSpace sims, hence much cheaper.

You could do that yourself, of course: surround your full-primmed region with eight OpenSpace sims (or four, if you leave corners of navigable water on your main sim), but it would be cheaper if neighbours shared the cost of those OpenSpaces.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.