Is it OK to ask my neighbor to make their HUGE tree border invisible on my side?

keysha033

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought some land literally steps away from the beach. The actual beach is owned by a group. Seems to be just a hangout and the large tree border seems to be there to hide other land not as an actual privacy fence (which I don't see why there's abandoned land surrounding most of their property). They have nothing on their land besides the trees and some places to sit. All I need is one of the fences (the largest side of their privacy fence is made up of 4 individual screens) to be invisble from my side to get a wonderful view of the beach. 

Yes I understand I can derez the objects which I have, but I would like for others to not see it as well. I figured it never hurts to ask, but I don't want my new neighbor to think I am trying to be rude. If they want to keep the screen up I am completely fine with that. They have been there longer so it's fair. And I bought the property knowing it was there. What do you guys think? I don't want to offend them. The whole time I have owned this I have never seen anyone over there. On the other side of the fence that I would like invisble they don't have anything. Like I mentioned it seems like they use it for themselves to hide other land I don't want them to take it down just would like that one section to be made invisble on my side so I don't see how it could bother them? Please help. I know I could just go ahead and ask them but I don't want them to take it the wrong way and be upset. And if you do think I should ask how would you word it? Thanks :smileywink:

keysha033 wrote:

I bought some land literally steps away from the beach. The actual beach is owned by a group. Seems to be just a hangout and the large tree border seems to be there to hide other land not as an actual privacy fence (which I don't see why there's abandoned land surrounding most of their property). They have nothing on their land besides the trees and some places to sit. All I need is one of the fences (the largest side of their privacy fence is made up of 4 individual screens) to be invisble from my side to get a wonderful view of the beach. 

Yes I understand I can derez the objects which I have, but I would like for others to not see it as well. I figured it never hurts to ask, but I don't want my new neighbor to think I am trying to be rude. If they want to keep the screen up I am completely fine with that. They have been there longer so it's fair. And I bought the property knowing it was there. What do you guys think? I don't want to offend them. The whole time I have owned this I have never seen anyone over there. On the other side of the fence that I would like invisble they don't have anything. Like I mentioned it seems like they use it for themselves to hide other land I don't want them to take it down just would like that one section to be made invisble on my side so I don't see how it could bother them? Please help. I know I could just go ahead and ask them but I don't want them to take it the wrong way and be upset. And if you do think I should ask how would you word it? Thanks :smileywink:

It never hurts to ask; however, my experience is that groups are harder to deal with than individual property owners. In my opinion it is your neighbors who are being rude because they put up the ugly "privacy wall" in the first place.

The only way to make sure you have "Property with a view" is to buy land right on the edge of Linden water. The Lindens sold off a lot of "water" parcels and often what we think is "beach front" is what Prokofy calls "beach back."

Good luck.

Oh, indeed ask them. Of course, this can backfire on you and they can double down and put up even more ugly crap in your view, but try asking politely, you never know.

No one in Second Life should be putting up "privacy fences," photo-realistic flat board hedges (among my most hated things in SL), giant boards, fences, etc. Why? Because there is this relatively new feature on the viewer called "avatars can see me". If you UNCHECK that box you become visible to those outside your parcel. The ultimate in privacy -- invisibility!

So all the junk should go, along with all the annoying ban lines and security orbs. Uncheck "see me" and be done with it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2731 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.