Help with understanding how full mainland works?

Centerfold

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Me & my future husband have tried reading information about how buying a full region works but I just can't make sense of it, We've been interested in purchasing a full region but how would I ho about doing that directly from linden lab? Or would it work out cheaper to buy one from a resident? Also, I saw some for sale up to $600 or more... Am I right to assume that is a one of payment.. Because that's pretty expensive! If not, how does one know how much weekly tier will be from there on out, is there a standard cost or does every full region tier differ? It's so confusing, I wouldn't know where to begin @_@ I'd really appreciate the help :)

when you buy mainland the owner sets it for sale for a certain amount, next to that, as soon you own it you go pay LL monthly fees for the use of the land :

USD 195.00/ month 65,536 Entire Region
USD 125.00/ month 32,768 1/2 Region
USD 75.00/ month 16,384 1/4 Region
USD 40.00/ month 8,192 1/8 Region
USD 25.00/ month 4,096 1/16 Region
USD 15.00/ month 2,048 1/32 Region
USD 8.00/ month 1,024 1/64 Region
USD 5.00/ month 512 1/128 Region
USD 0.00/ month 0 0/128 Region

the more land you own, the higher the monthly costs.
Keep in mind you raise to double as soon you go over the sqm limit, not just for the sqm you exceed. (example: for 1024 you pay 8 usd, but for 1025 directly go to the 2048 payment of 15 usd)

the most you find for sale are privat sims, no mainland ... privat sims have a monthly additional cost of 295 usd

( to all amounts VAT applies if your country laws demand that)

Wowzers.. Arguably comparable to some peoples RL rent! Lol, so basically, even when buying a land it's still pretty much renting..? There is no way to just make a big one payment and the land is yours? If that's the case, what is so beneficial about owning an entire sim as opposed to renting one, which would work out cheaper? S

Why do you think renting would work out cheaper than owning? Granted, especially on Mainland, one needs to own the land a relatively long time to offset the up-front purchase fee with savings of tier paid to SL compared to rent paid to a landlord. Specifically on Mainland,  a landlord gets no break whatsoever from the Lab, so if they aren't passing on the entire $195/month fee to a full-sim tenant (and then some), they're losing money.

All of which raises the question: why consider a full sim? That's a very large amount of land and prims for a single account, unless there are plans to use the land to generate revenue to offset some or all the costs. Certainly there are folks who do it. It's expensive, but so is RL yachting. Doesn't keep me from wearing deck shoes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.