Full sim lag questions.

Rihanna Irata

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, 

So im thinking of renting my own private full sim, but i wanted to know some things about lag.

Long time ago i rented a mainland sim and i hade quet of a succesfull bussines there. But the building there toke almost every prim (15 000) , i personaly didnt lag there but alot of people seemed to do.

Basicly on the new sim im planing to reopen what i once started but i want to be sure that this time its gona be betther.

SO my question is 

1. Becouse its private sim and not mainland will that make less lag? as ive heard mainland is laggy.

2.My bussines consisted from alot of rental appartments, that wer close to each otther so in that way when sombody enters my sim they wer rezzing everything around them, like a 15 000 prim bomb, but what if i make the rooms as skyboxes high in sky , out of the rezz range, will that make any difference since people will not have to rezz alot of furnished rooms? but they will still be on the sim.

3. And last but not least, im thinkin of making the appartment rooms as a mesh, i already ahve finished an exemple room and such, im wondering will a mesh room that is 36 prims fat rezzes faster and couses less lag than ordinery 36 prim room?

thank you :)

Rihanna Irata wrote:

Hey, 

So im thinking of renting my own private full sim, but i wanted to know some things about lag.

Long time ago i rented a mainland sim and i hade quet of a succesfull bussines there. But the building there toke almost every prim (15 000) , i personaly didnt lag there but alot of people seemed to do.

Basicly on the new sim im planing to reopen what i once started but i want to be sure that this time its gona be betther.

SO my question is 

1. Becouse its private sim and not mainland will that make less lag? as ive heard mainland is laggy.

2.My bussines consisted from alot of rental appartments, that wer close to each otther so in that way when sombody enters my sim they wer rezzing everything around them, like a 15 000 prim bomb, but what if i make the rooms as skyboxes high in sky , out of the rezz range, will that make any difference since people will not have to rezz alot of furnished rooms? but they will still be on the sim.

3. And last but not least, im thinkin of making the appartment rooms as a mesh, i already ahve finished an exemple room and such, im wondering will a mesh room that is 36 prims fat rezzes faster and couses less lag than ordinery 36 prim room?

thank you
:)

My answers:

1. Mainland is laggy because your viewer rezzes not only the sim your on but the neighboring ones too if your draw distance is high enough.  There is also no one to enforce intelligent use of low lag scripts and low lag builds as there is no covenant on most of it and anything goes..  Your sim will be laggy if you don't manage it well for the same reasons.

2. The less people see from where they are standing the less has to be downloaded to their client and therefore client side lag will be less.  Place your skyboxes so that from any given one you can't see much a lot around you.  Layer them at different altitudes from 300m up to 4000m, with as much space around them as you can. If you put four on each level, one in each quarter of the sim, and have a hundred feet between each level you can still get a LOT of skyboxes on the sim. 

Terraform your ground and place landscaping  and buildings so that you create outdoor rooms the block long lines of site. Instead of hundreds of different types of plants , use a few well chosen trees and  plants over and over so that only a limited number of textures have to be rendered by a viewer.  You will create less potential for lag, and repeating elements in a them and variation is good design too.  Restricting line of site encourages people to explore too since they can't see everything at once.  If you are going to have shops restrict their usage of scripts, particles, high resolution textures etc. Its good business as people will stay and shop more in a lag free environment.

3. Theoretically mesh homes may rez faster and cause less lag,  However that's not true if it is high in polygons, uses tons of different textures, or high resolution textures.  A well planned traditional build that uses textures and scripts wisely could cause far less lag than an inefficient mesh build.

Rihanna Irata wrote:

By "mesh rooms" do you mean creating them in an external program and importing them as meshes? I don't think that would be worth the trouble. The typical box prims that make up most rooms put almost no load on the server. You should look into how the new "land impact" accounting works. If you avoid unnecessary sculpted prims, change the sculpties you DO use to physics type "none" and change walls that have holes through them for windows to "convex hulls" (essentially shrink-wrapping them so you see the hole through them in your viewer but the servers don't calculate the hole as a hole) you should be able to reduce your "36 prim" rooms to a land impact of not much more than 18 without changing the actual number of pieces.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4210 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.