Finding the perfect sim for a business

Siksikas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm by no means a land professional.  I've been on SL for a long time, but typically I've just rented whatever land looks the prettiest and has good customer service.

Now, next month I'm going to be renting a 1/4 sim for a business, and I'm having a hard time making decisions and knowing what land would be best for me.  On occasion there could be upwards of 50+ people in my parcel at a time (no, its not a club),  so one thing that I'm worried about is the avie cap on land.  Furthermore, I'm not sure if I should rent a light commercial, or commercial property... I don't even really know if there's a difference to be quite honest.  

From what I've seen so far, it seems that the avie caps for a full sim is 100 avies... ergo, 25 avies are allowed in a 1/4 sim.  Is this the general rule for all private regions? And does this mean that if you have more than 25 avies on the 1/4 sim, nobody else can enter the parcel?... or will it only be full once the whole 100 avie region cap is filled?  I won't be able to afford anything more than a 1/4 sim, so that's out of the question.

FINAL QUESTION... if you're still reading this then I applaud and thank you. Lol.  I've seen 1/4 commercial sims with the same amount of prims and same rating go for anywhere from L$4500 to L$6000 per week.... Is there actually a difference? Or should I just go with whatever is cheapest?

Any information or advice is appreciated :)

go for commercial if you want to run a business....

go for the cheapest

go for the best terms and conditions

talk to the owner before you rent, and look at your neighbours... if all have a avatar count of 50 you have a problem.... no sim can handle 200 avatars at a time... and keep in mind when you use all avatar space on a sim, your neighbours won't get happy if their visitors can't tp in.

While the highest number of avatars per sim is 100, that is only useful if the sim is practically emptotherwise.  Most full sims are capped at 40 to 60 avatars.  If you have 50 people at your place constanlty, your neighbors will not be able to get to their land or their customers may not be able to get to their places.  The estate owner may then evict you if this becomes an ongoing problem..

If you really need space for 50 visitors at a time, you need a full sim, not a quarter sim.

I won't be able to afford anything more than a 1/4 sim, so that's out of the question.

What's being described is not a viable business. If as many as 50 simultaneous avatars do not generate enough revenue to pay for a full sim, it's simply not a cost-effective use of SL resources, unless it's subsidized somehow. As already mentioned, once 50 avatars are on a sim, there's really no remaining capacity to share with other uses, avatar cap notwithstanding.

If my calculations are correct, a full Mainland sim costs a little over L$11K per week, an Estate sim about L$17K per week direct payment to LL.

There will rarely be a time that 50 avatars will be on the sim... and the longest they would be there is two hours.

I'm very aware that I'm not going to profit from this - I do it because I enjoy running it and it's something people want.  I understand it may be hard to understand without knowing anything about the business, but thank you for your input.

If I am correct, you plan to open some sort of a school rp, so you need a sim where neighbours are into family roleplay, or are not there lol. Honestly if you can't afford to rent a full sim that supports 50 or so avatars then rent half and don't allow more than 20 at a certain time. Make it exclusive school lol.

I hope you will find good people to work there... Good luck :) 

Vanessa Hallison wrote:

There will rarely be a time that 50 avatars will be on the sim... and the longest they would be there is two hours.

Well, if it's rare enough, you may find a landlord who's okay with it. As it happens, I have a parcel that's usually perfectly fine -- low script time and single-digit avatar count -- but very occasionally, maybe once a month, the region hits Mainland's 40-avatar cap and then I can't get in. I'm not sure the average Estate tenant would feel the same, but I'm completely okay with this because the responsible party owns a third or so of the private land on the region and is otherwise quite savvy about script count, rezzing, etc., and has good taste in builds.

So anyway, yeah... it's possible. But I think you'll want to chat in advance about these details with any prospective landlord.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3147 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.