Do Pims or LIs Count Against House Prim Limit?

agentronin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am shopping for items to put in the home I got with my premium membership. On these items I see a prim count, and a land impact count (LI). Most of the time these two counts are the same. Some times they are different and I have seen a case where it is very different. I need to know which of these counts are counted against the prim limit of 117. This is important because I expect to max out this limit.

For many years the amount of items that you could have on a piece of land was measured in "prims" which equaled a primative shape such as a cube or a sphere. NOW since the advent of mesh, items are measured in "land impact". You can have a mesh house or piece of furniture with one "prim" (as in one OBJECT) but it could be many land impact (let's say 4li for example). The person making the item linked (joined) the pieces of mesh together BEFORE they uploaded the mesh model into Second Life.  A house or piece of furniture or decor could also have many "prims" and have a lower land impact since  not all mesh objects weigh 1 land impact (it gets complicated but I'll skip that). 

So land impact and prim count can vary radically. What you need to watch is the LAND IMPACT as that is what is used now to count usage on land. If you are on mainland (this is the end of November in 2016 for the archives) then currently a 512 free tier lot has 175 land impact points that you can use -- same for a Linden home except that the house is not counted against the land impact. The prim count is irrelevant for your needs as stated. A few mainland areas have higher land impact maximums but these are rare and expensive.

Prim count will simply tell you how many pieces there are (single objects that can be unlinked) . This might be important if you wanted to MODIFY the house or use parts of a decor item separately, but not for counting up what you can use on your lot.

Also you can often link small decor or furniture items together to save on land impact. Be sure and TEST this though as sometimes the land impact will go up.  If you want to know more about that you can ask on the mesh forum.

Note that many old-timers use the terms interchangably which is wrong -- just habit. So that doesn't help with the confusion either.

Hope that explains things a bit better. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2707 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.