Buyer Beware: Land / Mall Rental via Boxes

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Beware..

If you click a rental box whether it be a 'peaceful' land rental or mall/prim 'repose/respite'-themed rental without first ensuring you can contact the seller, you may end up being out of some $L.

This may include rentals like "$149L for 50 prims weekly" or "$100L for 40 prims"  that are advertised.

The problem is compounded by absent landlords, who may not even return your messages for 3 days or more, thus losing 3 days of your rental.

Some won't even respond to notecards sent to them.

You will have no recourse to settle this dispute, and if you respond to their continued advertising of similar rentals on this forum, your replies will be reported and removed.

$L transactions can only be accessed in your account up to 30 days, so if you need to go back in time in order to prove a claim you make - you will not be able to do so.

I currently rent land space from a good source - who promptly responded to my request for rental, answered any questions, and I went ahead and prepaid over a month for it.

Just a reminder if you still want to gamble - that you only purchase a week at a time - or else you may find out what I have - a sim that was packed up and empty a week later.

Actually you can download your transaction history to your computer to save the transaction number and details of who, what and when you paid.  Having it on your transaction history, which no one can see but you and LL isn't going to prove your payment.  It is the information that the landlord needs which you will have to give him if you download it.

Next, landlords are RL people too and sometimes have RL issues that prevent them from responding promptly.  Three days isn't all that much time.  If you absolutely MUST have immediate access why didn't you contact the landlord before paying to assure of an immediate group invite?

I've always asked the landlord in this type of case to adjust the due date of the rent by whatever time that I couldn't use it due to needing a group tag.  If you do this politely instead of getting bent out of joint like you did here, in my experience they always are happy to do that.  Landlords want to have reasonable as well as happy tenants.

Lastly the moderators will not remove any posts simply because you had a personal dispute with the poster.  LL does not get involved in personal disputes.  They only do that when the Community Guidelines have been broken and this type of thing doesn't qualify.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Actually you can download your transaction history to your computer to save the transaction number and details of who, what and when you paid.  Having it on your transaction history, which no one can see but you and LL isn't going to prove your payment.  It is the
information
that the landlord needs which you will have to give him if you download it.

Yes, I am aware of this - my issue was that I could not find the transaction record because it only goes back a month. If you are aware of a method to track transaction purchases in-world, with ability to go back past one month, I'd appreciate the tip.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Next, landlords are RL people too and sometimes have RL issues that prevent them from responding promptly.  Three days isn't all that much time.  If you absolutely MUST have immediate access why didn't you contact the landlord before paying to assure of an immediate group invite?

I understand this - that's the cost of being a merchant. Sometimes when RL gets in the way, you can risk losing some customers, or making other customers anxious when they pay for something that isn't delivered as expected.

At the time of this posting, it has been more than two weeks without a response. This is also not the first incident for this to happen and for responsed to be delayed, for whatever reason.

It is good advice for those who want to avoid this problem to contact the seller directly, before clicking on a land rental box in-world, then wondering why they're not responded to.. if ever.

Don't start blaming me for this situation. As soon as the transaction went through, and there was no change, following the instructions to the letter, contacting the seller with both polite and courteous IMs and notecard - with no response, has nothing to do with any shortcomings on my end.

If  a merchant wants to use land rental boxes, with all their quirks and issues, they need to inform the buyer that the rental is not immediate, or anything else they need to inform you about - before taking your $L.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I've always asked the landlord in this type of case to adjust the due date of the rent by whatever time that I couldn't use it due to needing a group tag.  If you do this politely instead of getting bent out of joint like you did here, in my experience they always are happy to do that.  Landlords want to have reasonable as well as happy tenants.

A polite IM and notecard were both sent, there was no getting bent out of joint - in this particular case and 2 other incidents within Second Life - the messages were not returned, and the seller absconded with the $L.

Since there is no way to resolve these kind of disputes, and LL doesn't get involved, then the only recourse is to warn future customers of this problem.

I am not aware of any method to track transaction on line past the 30 days.  However I am in the habit of downloading my transactions on the first of every month so that I do have a record of them.  It's a good habit to get into.

I agree two weeks is too long to go to gain access to a rental.  Your original post said 3 days though. 

It would really be best if landlords who use group membership to allow a tenant to rez would appoint someone to be a member of the group who could issue group tags to renters to avoid a long delay if RL takes them away from SL.  They don't need access to the landlords financial records, they just need to go look at the rent box to see that the rent's been paid.  When the landlord returns they can always adjust the paid to date at that point, or refund a prorated amount for the days the tenant had no access if they didn't get an immediate group invite.  Better yet there are rental systems available that have the option to issue an immediate group invite when rent is paid. 

Sheleaf wrote:

if landlords can afford to pay for land why cant they at least afford to have bot invites, if they cant be on line themselves? then Problem is solved.

contacting the landlord before you pay the rent is also a solution... no irritating bots needed, those fail often too.

I see the box system at many locations, seems still to bee a popular item, so a few mistakes/bad ones should take those all down?...

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I am not aware of any method to track transaction on line past the 30 days.  However I am in the habit of downloading my transactions on the first of every month so that I do have a record of them.  It's a good habit to get into.

Yes, perhaps a good habit to get into, if one is making such purchase inworld, that are much harder to track than purchases made through the marketplace.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree two weeks is too long to go to gain access to a rental.  Your original post said 3 days though. 

Perhaps you're getting a little legalistic in your responses - I believe it was "3 days or more", which means I gave ample chance to respond in this recent case - which now still has not got a response. Perhaps you are trying to lay blame on the person who put up the $L in the first place, and received nothing in return - as though dismissing the heist implying it is their fault.

I like your tips on how to handle such things in the future, any excuses you are making on behalf of the merchant is bewildering.

Sheleaf wrote:

if landlords can afford to pay for land why cant they at least afford to have bot invites, if they cant be on line themselves? then Problem is solved.

For most rentals, group invitation by bot is practical. It only works, though, if the bot is a member of the invited group, and for many applications each individual rental needs to be owned by a separate group. In fact, I rent some land where the group was created by the tenant (for better visibility and maybe SEO, not sure). The intricate steps involved in making such a specialized group's roles and membership appropriate for rental land ownership isn't anything I'd want to program a bot to do.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Sheleaf wrote:

For most rentals, group invitation by bot is practical. It only works, though, if the bot is a member of the invited group, and for many applications each individual rental needs to be owned by a separate group. In fact, I rent some land where the group was created by the tenant (for better visibility and maybe SEO, not sure). The intricate steps involved in making such a specialized group's roles and membership appropriate for rental land ownership isn't anything I'd want to program a bot to do.

still a renter shouldnt bother about all this, but just get what they pay for very fast. what would happen if you bought something in marketplace and you had to wait 3 days or more to get it ? or you had to first say HELLOOOO ARE YOU THERE to the merchant to see if he ever comes on line. why is it different when a renter buys land from a land lord ?

Sheleaf wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Sheleaf wrote:

still a renter shouldnt bother about all this, but just get what they pay for very fast. what would happen if you bought something in marketplace and you had to wait 3 days or more to get it ? or you had to first say HELLOOOO ARE YOU THERE to the merchant to see if he ever comes on line. why is it different when a renter buys land from a land lord ? 

That's a perfect analogy: if one is renting a mall space or a standard-issue residence, it's just like buying some Marketplace prêt-à-porter: delay would be disappointing. Some renters, however, want bespoke features, same as wanting custom work from creators. One may have to pay more for that, or incur delay for setup. A group invitation is the very least of it, and so a bot to do the inviting just doesn't matter in such cases.

(But... you mentioned "when a renter buys land from a land lord" -- which would be the Estate "parcel purchase" sort of "rental" in which case I don't understand why group invitation would be involved, bot or not. [EDIT: Or maybe "buy" was to extend the analogy with buying stuff on Marketplace; that would make sense.])

entity0x wrote:

Beware..

If you click a rental box whether it be a '
peaceful'
land rental or mall/prim
'repose/respite'-
themed rental without first ensuring you can contact the seller, you may end up being out of some $L.

This may include rentals like "$149L for 50 prims weekly" or "$100L for 40 prims"  that are advertised.

The problem is compounded by absent landlords, who may not even return your messages for 3 days or more, thus losing 3 days of your rental.

Some won't even respond to notecards sent to them.

You will have no recourse to settle this dispute, and if you respond to their continued advertising of similar rentals on this forum, your replies will be reported and removed.

$L transactions can only be accessed in your account up to 30 days, so if you need to go back in time in order to prove a claim you make - you will not be able to do so.

I currently rent land space from a good source - who promptly responded to my request for rental, answered any questions, and I went ahead and prepaid over a month for it.

Just a reminder if you still want to gamble - that you only purchase a week at a time - or else you may find out what I have - a sim that was packed up and empty a week later.

Yes, you are right, Entity0x. Life is full of risks...

...like when a landlord waits and waits several days for to give a tenant a chance to renew, before he takes back her expired home or land... but never hear a single sound from this always-online-tenant, who was normally very talk-active and sweet, when he did her a lot of special favours during her period of renting.

Yes, I understand.

I consider a rental opt-in, as in I pay for 1-4 or 8 weeks, and at the end of that tenancy and I haven't renewed, the land owner can put it up immediately.

That being said, I've discontinued rentals not because I didn't appreciate any help or favours, it was an economic one, and will/have returned to rent land from the same in the future.

Inworld stores are iffy right now - I track visitors and at least at my level and number of items, its hard to warrant the expense for the minimal visitors - most of my customers come from the MP.

So the last thing I want is to mess around after putting out up to a month in the past through a box, then left hanging there wondering what happened.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.