Banned Avatar still able to get on Sim

Amanda Dench

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Over a week ago I banned an avatar on my sim as he was insulting people and making a general nuisance of himself.  He is still managing to come on the sim even though I copied and pasted his name on the Region/Estate ban list.  I could get an orb and get him ejected that way but whats the point of having a ban list if it doesn't work.  Anybody else had this problem?

Sorry that you struggle.

Just to tackle the known tricks I've seen with easy queries:-

• Are you sure it was the same account? Not an alt, with display name?
  • Are you sure he was on the sim? Not on an adjacent sim and using position-offsets to 'ghost' his way in? Are there adjacent sims?

I don't disbelieve your account, but sometimes folks use similar-looking tricks to make it look like they're super-powered. No-one really is, but it'd be interesting if he's figured out a way around even Estate bans.

I don't think it needs to be a SEC jira because you kinda want other users to be able to see it, and maybe add evidence. There's a related example that claims, weirdly, only bots are evading the bans.

I remember this used to be a huge complaint and then later not so much. IIRC back then folks found that parcel bans still worked when region bans failed to have effect, but that was ages ago.

Hopefully our Patron Saint of JIRAs, Whirly, will be along to enlighten us, but I recall that bans are/were broken under some circumstances -- people could neither ban or unban. Can't remember the circumstances tho.

I did a JIRA search https://jira.secondlife.com/issues/?jql=text%20~%20%22Ban%22

I found one JIRA that said banning from radar rather than region window did not stick. But there are a lot of other JIRAs (including many requests from merchants  to be able to ban ppl from buying their stuff on MP. I wish.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.