About Hosting Your Own Grid In SL

Lola Verwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have recently visited OSgrid and found that, if i have a computer to host my own grid, they have a page with open coordinates, for you to add your grid and its free. http://www.osgrid.org/index.php/opencoordinates.......

My question is, why cant SL do the same?

I am sure there would be a fee for us to add our grid to theirs AND I SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH A FEE. But, from what i read on this page ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_estate_%28Second_Life%29#Land_ownership ), they say this......

Land hosting restrictions

Due to the way the Second Life world is currently designed, with a central secure asset server controlling all of the objects in Second Life, and the way the simulators and the asset server interact, hosting your own simulator is impossible unless a major redesign of the "grid" is implemented. Linden Lab has previously suggested that such a redesign leading to an open source version of the grid is a long-term goal. )...

I am wondering, if OSgrid can make it so that we can add our grid to their grid, why is SL having a hard time with setting it up? I would love to be able to host a grid in SL and have no problem with fees, and i have my own computer to host it on as well. I just do not see what problems SL is having, that they can't do what OSgrid is doing?

The inventory security problem is still there. For hypergrid situations, people simply avoid exposing stuff that would cost them a lot. Just about all the independent grids that are trying to build inworld economies have stayed as walled gardens, much like SL.

See http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hypergrid_Security and especially the part about malicious hosts. There are ideas to fix it, but no real resolution so far.

In addition to all of the above, things you have purchased from content creators were sold for use on the SL grid only, unless they gave you a use license that specifically says otherwise when you bought it.  Permission would be needed for you to take anything with you to another grid that you didn't create 100 percent .  That includes textures, animations, sounds scripts, prims etc.  You would need a specific license from each creator of any of those things to do so.  Content creators that grant such a license would be within their rights to charge you for it.  You can buy building supplies now that allow you to do this, but while there are exceptions, generally you pay more or have to buy an additional special license.

There is one hypergrid  that allows porting between more than one grid and also has shops and content for sale.  They  solved this by giving creators the choice of selling their content for use on one or more grids.  They then give you the choice when you purchase the items that are allowed on more than one grid of a single grid use or a multiple grid use, with the mutilate grid use being more expensive. You don't actually bring those things with you, they are delivered so that one copy of the item is delivered to each grid you elected to purchase use rights for when you bought the item.  If you purchase for three grids and go to a fourth, the item is not in your inventory there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4216 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.