marketplace search engine feature request: MESH BODIES!!!!

Tenly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I spent SIX hours the other day just trying to find mesh bodies. And though I stumbled across a few I by no means found the majority of what Id read about on various blogs.

Typing in fitmesh body in the marketplace returned clothing. Not bodies.

I drilled down via the menus...a tedious waste of my valuable time and finally found base body. However, base body is not limited to mesh bodies.

The majority of what I found there returned the default shapes we all know and love. Not mesh bodies. To be fair I did find a couple there...but only after going through ALL the pages.

Lets PLEASE have a category which is not buried under 7 layers of categories called MESH BODY & PARTS. Under MESH BODY lets have MESH HEAD, MESH TORSO (of mesh body?) MESH FEET, MESH HANDS, MESH EARS, MESH **bleep**, etc. body parts. and lets NOT have "shapes" and skins under MESH BODY PARTS.

Lets have SKINS and under that lets have "default skins" and "applier skins". people shouldnt have to work so hard.

You could file a JIRA.  Under Create Issue / Issue Type choose "new feature request."

https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Or you could drop a note in the Official Suggestion Box.

https://support.secondlife.com/suggestions/

The subject of updating the categories is a sore one with the Merchants who have brought it up many times.  LL has been anything but proactive with this.

It is a very rare thing that the Lab responds to anything posted here.

The whole system is perfectly simple (category titles in bold):

For instance, Hair is an Avatar Accessory, like a handbag, and so are Genitalia. Eyes, however, are Avatar Components, like Tattoos. Cosmetic Enhancements, which are applied like tattoos, have their own sub-category. Flexi-hair has its own sub-category within Hair, but mesh hair doesn't, because why would it?

Complete Avatars have their own category, in which there are subcategories for Human Female Avatars with Clothing, Complete Human Male Avatars with Clothing, and Complete Child Avatars (which by inference, are either male or female (Or neither. Or both.) and naked?). There are no categories for adult human avatars without clothing, unless they happen to be a Complete Fantasy or Sci-Fi Avatar, so those must go in the Other Complete Avatar category, except when merchants put them in Avatar Appearence, along with a grab bag of other things including skins and shapes that may or may not be better placed in other categories.

Textures are found under Building Components, unless they are Hair Textures, whcih are under Hair. Which, you'll remember, is under Accessories. Homes are under Buildings and Other Structures, not under Home and Garden where you will find Greenhouses and Gazebos both have separate categories, despite clearly being structures.

Still with me? If you want to search for 'robin' (either the small bird, or the boy wonder), it'll return about a hundred merchants and stores with 'robin' in the name, even though there's a separate merchant search. If you want to search for a mesh (flimsy sheer fabric) top, you'll also get all the mesh (method of contructing objects) tops, and vice-versa.

No problem.

Kelli May wrote:

(a lot)

Well said, Kelli. I can't imagine why anybody would even dream of criticising our smooth, logical, user-friendly and well organized Marketplace!

Oh btw, if anybody looking for a mesh body for some reason actually has problems figuring out the perfect logic of MP, and maybe wants to learn about the ones only available in-world too, this may be a good place to look:

http://meshbodyaddicts.com/

(Yes, I know that link has already been posted in several threads recently ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Steph, my point eacxtly. its hit or miss. even IF you can find the category you want, its buried and not always intuitively. And I think part of the problem is that people who sell on the marketplace give keywords that do not apply to their product in order to bring themselves into prominence. And that further convolutes "searching".

For example a guy who sells default avatar jeans but puts "NOT MESH" in his search terms comes up under "mesh jeans".

And not all creators of mesh bodies put their mesh bodies in the same place. Which is again my its critical that "search" function properly.

Ive often found what I wanted on the marketplace by going AWAY from the marketplace and using google to search. Then finding what I want and clicking it back to the marketplace. 

its 2016. Ive been with SL since 2004. I love SL, but there really is No excuse for how little the marketplace has changed.

Hi diskomo, thats how I got my bodies as well. 

I think that if the creators had a presence in the MP store it would help people find their products and help them be more successful. Matraiya and Eve/adam creator have been around a long time. I was only aware of them because Ive been around in SL about as long as they have been...actually longer if you count my original AV.

So maybe they dont "sell" on the marketplace...but they could have a presence and upload ads like the realtors do. you buy the card fo NO lindens...usually has a description and always has a SURL.

inworld search browser doesnt work well either. but Im not sure how to improve it. for example, when I searched for mesh bodies it was not adam/eve or lara's creators that popped up. And I dont think anything ever gets deleted as I have often ended up teleporting to what I think is a store inworld with something I want only to find abandoned land or some crazy adult place. Not that I mind crazy adult places...just not when Im searching for something else.

I think how we change things IS to talk about them. And not, in taking a dump on people who are interesting in seeing things improve.

Im very interested in a way to block people the same way I do with other social media. However, my beloved SL is also about 10 years behind that most basic feature.

I ultimately found 7 mesh bodies by using google. These led me back to marketplace, and most of them were not under the same category. And Im not sure how much more detailed one needs to be than entering "mesh bodies". IF we had a dedicated category called "MESH BODIES" then entering that search term should pull up everything in that category. And anything put in that category that was NOT a mesh body, could be reported to get it removed.

Id also like to see a more intuitive search engine that KNOWS when I type "mesh bodies" that I might want "mesh body". or the other way around depending on what the category actually is called. It could be "MESH AVATAR". And typing in 'MESH BODY" or "MESH BODIES" should return a message that says "did you mean "MESH AVATAR" and present that search. 

Things like this would mean more to me, a long time user, than having all of SLs focus on the very expensive 3D viewers that the majority of us can't afford. Or, rather I can, but I choose not to at this time. I tend to boycott all OVERPRICED "new" things. Especially if whats old, hasnt improved.

I love my SL. but its really missing some basic improvements that are over a decade behind.

I love meshbodyaddicts.com

unfortunately SL is not where I first learned about it. Again, from the outside to the in. this is a great website with detailed comments on many mesh bodies. the last time I went -- about a month ago -- some of the products reviewed were no longer available anywhere. so in a sense the previews are out of date. but that is the nature of a blog! 

THE GREAT thing though is that meshaddicts also has an inworld sim where you can get SOME of the bodies. But alas does not have everyones mesh body on their campus. But presenting all mesh bodies is not the responsibility of meshbodies owner. 

I also learned about some when I stumbled across OMEGA APPLIERS (again from the outside in). They have many many mesh body creators bodies on sale in their sim. Id never found half of the ones I tested if not for them.

http://lovenlustdesigns.blogspot.com/

Tenly wrote:

Hi diskomo, thats how I got my bodies as well. 

I think that if the creators had a presence in the MP store it would help people find their products and help them be more successful. Matraiya and Eve/adam creator have been around a long time. I was only aware of them because Ive been around in SL about as long as they have been...actually longer if you count my original AV.

So maybe they dont "sell" on the marketplace...but they could have a presence and upload ads like the realtors do. you buy the card fo NO lindens...usually has a description and always has a SURL.

inworld search browser doesnt work well either. but Im not sure how to improve it. for example, when I searched for mesh bodies it was not adam/eve or lara's creators that popped up. And I dont think anything ever gets deleted as I have often ended up teleporting to what I think is a store inworld with something I want only to find abandoned land or some crazy adult place. Not that I mind crazy adult places...just not when Im searching for something else.

I think how we change things IS to talk about them.
And not, in taking a dump on people who are interesting in seeing things improve, as Kelli did.

Im very interested in a way to block people the same way I do with other social media. However, my beloved SL is also about 10 years behind that most basic feature.

You completely missed my point. I was criticising the terrible, terrible way that the marketplace is organised, by pointing out the ridiculous contradictions, gaps and overlaps in the categories and sub-categories. I'd love to see it improved.

Never quick read. I scanned your response and thought you were giving me flack. then I read it again and realize you are well versed in the SL MP.

I DO LOVE SL.

just want them to make things easier. and not just for me. Considering the life of SL IS its creators...it just makes basic sense to make it intuitive and easier for people to find the creators products.

Ive been around a LONG time and seen some of the best leave. Some left for stupid reasons...they didnt want change. but many left because they just couldnt make enough to justify the cost of the SIM for inworld stores. which is why I dont have an inworld store. Not that I have enough product to justify an inworld store. But many do. but cant survive because no one even knows they exist. YES, we are responsible for marketing out products outside of SL...and granted MOST do not. But seriously, when the most basic tools such as the marketplace and inworld browser make things harder...its gonna be harder to keep creators selling and staying around.

sometimes I talk to much.

Apologies for not reading what you wrote correctly the first time. And thanks for your response.

How about just a MESH filter? There's already a "100% mesh", "partial mesh" tags, why isn't there a filter to filter out anything except these two categories?? So f*cking sick of searching for something in marketplace and 90% of the search results are applier crap, even if I use the "NOT Applier" as a keyword. The fact that half of the applier stuff slaps on mesh body icons because they look good on an ad, doesn't help. So ridiculous seeing MAitreya Lara icon on something that's not even mesh, I wish there's an infraction for this, 

How about ability to filter MULTIPLE categories like every single other search engine on the internet? Want to search for platform boots AND heels categories? Sorry you're out of luck because SL marketplace is too dumb to search for TWO THINGS at the same time.

I really don't get how LL logic works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2906 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.