just been scammed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello guys I have just been scammed 2000L I met this person and over the last two weeks she said if I gave her 2000L I could view her on Skype I agreed. Now I just got a message to say my friendship has been dissolved?? Is there any comeback I have ?

Thank you

even if the friendship has been dissolved, you still have her name on your inventory as a calling card, if you have the chat logs saved, you can deliver them to Linden Lab to have your case proved.

there was a case about someone that asked for thousands of lindens to another person and in exchange, she will give him a gold membership, that was not the case, she was reported to Linden Lab and her account got closed.

you can find her calling card under the folder of that name in your inventory, and you can find your chat logs going to the menu Me  / preferences / Privacy / Location of logs

Sounds like the hooker made a runner.

Linden Lab does not get involved in disputes between residents. I'm surprised you got the advice you got so far.

What if she simply says she was going to but something about you creeped her out and she changed her mind? Think about it, you're basically saying "she did not deliver on mah virtual prostitution."

Of course I'm sure it is possible that you paid a stranger 2000L just to chat about politics.

As I recall, the real "crime" of the woman whose account was closed over the Gold Membership scam was not that she'd conned this chap into believing that a "Gold Membership" card would enable him to see nude pictures of her but that it would also gain him some sort of preferential access to Linden employees, get preferential treatment for his ARs and so on.   

LL says, in terms, that it won't get involved in disputes between residents over unfulfilled agreements of whatever sort:

Linden Lab cannot verify, enforce, certify, examine, uphold, or adjudicate any oath, contract, deal, bargain, or agreement made by the Residents of Second Life. Nor does Linden Lab enforce or uphold rental agreements between Residents. While you may have a valid agreement with another person, Linden Lab is not a party to and cannot resolve your dispute. Please contact the Resident involved and resolve the issue with them.

This is in sharp contrast with their attitude to people who falsely purport to represent them in any way, upon whom they come down like a ton of bricks.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

there was a case about someone that asked for thousands of lindens to another person and in exchange, she will give him a gold membership, that was not the case, she was reported to Linden Lab and her account got closed.

That person was banned because she ostensibly misrepresented herself as a Linden, or as someone who could get something for the alleged victim through her "connections" to Lindens. That's a big no-no. This sounds like a very different affair.

maybe it had to do with this:

--------------------------------------------------

8.2 You will not post or transmit prohibited Content, including any Content that is illegal, harassing or violates any person's rights.

(v) Post, display or transmit Content that is harmful, threatening or harassing, defamatory, libelous, false, inaccurate, misleading, or invades another person's privacy;

Any violation by you of the terms of this Section may result in immediate suspension or termination of your Accounts without any refund or other compensation.

-------------------------------------------------

Why on earth would you pay someone to view him / her on Skype anyhow. If it's a supposed friend, well then you just view each other if that is what both wants. Other then that, if it is just for some turn on arousal kind of thingy, the web is full of it for free.

1. Is what you were trying to contract her to do illegal under her, US or Californian jurisdiction?  If so you were attempting to commission an offence.  Prostitution, for instance, is illegal in many legal systems.  If this is the case I'd keep quiet if I were you.
  2. Do you want everyone to know you're the sort of person that pays for this sort of service?  Probably a bit late, if you don't.
  3. If all this was legal and you don't mind advertising your use of whores (if that's what this is about):
  • contact your police or hire a lawyer
  • have them contact LL for the person's RL details
  • sue them for breach of contract and/or fraud
  • take them to court

If that seems a bit extreme then this is just 'SL drama' and you should forget about it.

I seriously doubt LL has any concern for your "friends" promise of Skype pron or whatever.

Their general view on giving people money out of hand is that it is a gift. If you pay someone's vendor or tier box and do not get the item or services promised, it is viewed more as a business transaction and they are more likely to get involved.

Try to be more careful about handing people money, and when you do, understand that you might get nothing in return, including help from LL. Lots of people will scam you if you are gullible.

Rosemaery Lorefield wrote:

,,, If you pay someone's vendor or tier box and do not get the item or services promised, it is viewed more as a business transaction and they are more likely to get involved...

They are still extremely unlikely to get involved, unless it's large-scale theft/fraud.  Mostly I think they'll only shift if there's a legal case and they might be at risk if they don't.  Hence DMCA claims are acted upon, platform security/privacy issues are investigated, 'banks' were made illegal but otherwise you're on your own until you take it to court.

Jennifer Boyle wrote:

L$2,000 = about 8 USD.

Get over it.  Move on.  It isn't worth spending time on.

Exactly.  People come in here all the time all breathless, thinking we will all be shocked at the number 2000. Or 200.  Or 20.

We are not. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.