is roblox trying to cut into second life's market

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

chesse Vyceratops wrote:

roblox seems to be trying to trying to cut into the same market second life is in, espically now since they are planning vr support in a game with player created worlds, and trying to create a new economy where you can buy body parts and animations, just as you can in second life. 

Simple answer: Nope

Not so simple answer: The two might be comparable in some(very few) areas, but in most, they definitely are not. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd consider them comparable in most of the areas others probably do, lol. It's certainly not the first to have similarities, nor will it be the last. Nothing, thus far created, has ever been able to cut into the market quite the same that sl has, speaking form a " rather open ended, user created, user enjoyed, user dependent, virtual world" viewpoint, that is.

• Like 2

"...created and marketed toward children and teenagers aged 8–18..." and seems its closing its 'currency' too. So which bit of the SL market is it after? :)

Also love the bit about not being anything to do with err plastic building block toy companies (I used to work for one).

Answer: nope, not possible.

Reason: it's a children's game, they can't cut into second life's multi million dick and "sex sells" market.

In fact, I've tried it before for the lulz, they don't compare anywhere near second life, it's more like Garry's mod with micro transactions than second life as it has many servers instead of a unified grid. There even is a few obvious under ager's on there who state they play second life and even give out their user name. Now any grown adult would know it's not a good idea to recruit children to an adult game. Unfortunately they don't explicitly stated that they are under the age of 18 or 16, and there is no in world linking to that so LL can't do anything about it. But it just goes to show, even children who play roblox find SL more interesting and free.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

While this thread is almost 2 years old, at least the question is valid and definitely still on topic for the thread, thus I'll bite.

Given what I use SL for, I have absolutely no desire to go to a platform where I can create an avatar that looks like a block-man.  So, no, I have not tried it at all.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

While this thread is almost 2 years old, at least the question is valid and definitely still on topic for the thread, thus I'll bite.

Given what I use SL for, I have absolutely no desire to go to a platform where I can create an avatar that looks like a block-man.  So, no, I have not tried it at all.

But you can create one that looks like a jelly doll! :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Elite Runner said:

Concerning the platform, have there any Second Life users who also played Roblox?

I have, and, I maintain my original statement...the two aren't comparable, and neither has the potential to affect the other, negatively, or positively. 

Roblox isn't nearly as much fun, it gets boring super quick...and In tend to like less than stellar games, apps, environments, platforms, etc.. I mean, I still play TSO ad Stardew Valley lol. 

• Like 1

My granddaughter plays Roblox.  I might be wrong, but I see it more as a platform for the younger folks (junior/senior high) who have outgrown Fantage.  Roblox does allow creating things which I think can even be sold to other players, and creating games or experiences for other players to play, so that part is cool and could be seen as a stepping stone for fostering an interest in learning more about digital creation, coding and scripting.  

Roblox is exlusively for small children. it has zero appeal for older folks (at most, like, 17 year olds would be interested if they're the super immature type.) Not to mention the things in roblox can be knockoff level bad, wich is probably due to the playerbases age. I doubt sl is any real danger. also to that 2 year old post. "good money" that they're making is in "robux". unlike lindens they can't turn that into real money.

Edited by MaggiJin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.