being mentally harrassed and reporting is not working.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

deannahahn wrote:

nodevil or games like that and i wouldn't let him in an adult room. the room i play in is G rated. i agree that we do let our children play to many advanced games. my 14 year old wants to play the games his friends play.
it's hard to be a parent these days. it's not like it was when we were young. too many electronics for them.
i'm changing my profile now because i guess it's pointless to keep it. by the way i'm 38 years.

This is a cop-out.

Do not blame the toys for poor parenting skills.

do you have kids? i'm thinking that you don't. any parent out there will agree with that statement about it life is nothing like it was when we were kids. who are you to judge anyones parenting skills anyway?

I have two daughters, one a teen the other a tween.. I monitor everything they do online. They can't get online unless i give them the wi-fi password (Which i change every so often.) Life is never the same as the previous generation, what is your point? Piss poor parenting is just that. Correct me if i am wrong but the outdoors does still exxist, right? Can't your kids go to the park, or gods forbid read a book? Monitor your damn kids. By the way, it is against the ToS to allow someone else to use your account. Just an FYI for when your kid wants to use it again.

deannahahn wrote:

nodevil or games like that and i wouldn't let him in an adult room. the room i play in is G rated. i agree that we do let our children play to many advanced games. my 14 year old wants to play the games his friends play.
it's hard to be a parent these days. it's not like it was when we were young. too many electronics for them.
i'm changing my profile now because i guess it's pointless to keep it. by the way i'm 38 years.

This is a cop-out.

do you have kids? i'm thinking that you don't. any parent out there will agree with that statement about it life is nothing like it was when we were kids. who are you to judge anyones parenting skills anyway?

Yes, I have two boys, 18 and 22. The younger is entering his last year of high school the older is entering his 4th year at University completing a double Honours BA in Psych and Criminology. So your statement beginning "I'm thinking..." is an oxymoron because your conclusion demonstrates an absence of thought.

Additionally, any parent who blindly agrees with sweeping genralizations does not have a valid opinion on parenting, or any other subject for that matter.

Who am I to judge? I am a successful parent, that is what gives me the right to judge. If that isn't enough, then I will throw in my 3 degrees in Psychology, Education and History. You see, I am licensed to make exactly those types of judgements.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

deannahahn wrote:

This is a cop-out.

I have two daughters, one a teen the other a tween.. I monitor everything they do online. They can't get online unless i give them the wi-fi password (Which i change every so often.) Life is never the same as the previous generation, what is your point? Piss poor parenting is just that. Correct me if i am wrong but the outdoors does still exxist, right? Can't your kids go to the park, or gods forbid read a book? Monitor your damn kids. By the way, it is against the ToS to allow someone else to use your account. Just an FYI for when your kid wants to use it again.

Damn right!

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Ahh .. here's the answer of why the harasser engages in verbally abusing everyone around: They want to be the only one to play and win. Stop and think about it, being abusive, rude, obnoxious to everyone? Folks will leave and thus improve their odds of winning.

So maybe I'm a pessimist sometimes, but this sure sounds like a "game strategy" gone way overboard.

^^ yeah that ^^

is whats happening

deannahahn wrote:
1. it's hard to be a parent these days.

2. it's not like it was when we were young.

3. too many electronics for them.

1. Right! But then, it is hard to be alive these days. Like it always has been. It's much, much harder being a kid too - all those different social media platform passwords they have to remember.

2. Right! Nothing is like what it was when we were young; Wagon Wheels were much bigger then, for instance, and cigarettes were advertised as being good for your health.

3. WRONG! It sounds like you're jealous; if you had learned about "electronics" when you were younger you wouldn't be whinging about inconsequential online behaviour, now, and in fact may not be needing to play "electronic" games to make a tenth of what a McD burger flipper makes.

Alec - people who make fools of themselves by complaining about their inadequacies in public

deannahahn wrote:

This is a cop-out.

I'm not a parent, yet, but I don't get what exactly makes it more difficult to be a parent today than being one in the 90s, 80s, 70, 60s...or the beginning of the century. What does the developement of technology do, that it gets harder to be a parent and raise your kids? And if the sheer existance of technology has this effect, than wouldn't that mean it was already more though for your parents compared to the generation before, because the TV became common in many households?

it's strange how some parents here are telling others how to be parents when they don't have to deal with the different personalities that kids have, the different lifestyle surrounding them, and they look down on other parents like if they were perfect parents, i bet some of those "perfect parents" kids are gonna end up doing drugs or in jail and blame it back on their parents.

the truth is that nobody is an expert parent, everybody mess up once in a while, and as a result, nobody raise the perfect humans. what parents can do, is to educate them according to their personalities and the world that surrounds them.

it makes sense that parents should try to give kids the best education possible according to their personalities and surroundings.

different kids require different types of care, if parents are giving different education to their children than other parents, that doesn't mean that they are worst parents, it means that the circumstances of growth of their children are different.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

it makes sense that parents should try to give kids the best education possible according to their personalities and surroundings.

different kids require different types of care, if parents are giving different education to their children than other parents, that doesn't mean that they are worst parents, it means that the circumstances of growth of their children are different.

And apparently she is allowing her kids to be raised by electronics. There is no reason her kids can  not go outside and get some sun and fresh air.

Since you seem to know all, why should she let her 17 year old break the ToS of LL by letting him use her account? She is teaching him that rules don't matter. How is that good parenting?

since radio was invented, we were raised, partly, by electronics, then we watch television shows, then we play in consoles, now we use the internet, kids nowadays play computer games, and also play outside, both things can happen in a lifetime.

nowhere it says she shared the same account, maybe her son had his own account, after all, teens can have an account and only go to G rated places.

My 4 yo grand daughter knows colors and shapes, knows her ABC's and can count  thanks in part to her Nabi..
Maybe it runs in the family because her father, my son, built his own computer from parts when he was 12.

The need for the ability to use electronic interfaces is only going to increase over these kids lifetimes.   It really helps if they learn these things at home with their parents.

Canoro Philipp wrote:

since radio was invented, we were raised, partly, by electronics, then we watch television shows, then we play in consoles, now we use the internet, kids nowadays play computer games, and also play outside, both things can happen in a lifetime.

nowhere it says she shared the same account, maybe her son had his own account, after all, teens can have an account and only go to G rated places.

Really? I was not "raised by electronics." My parents did that. Yes, i watched TV when i was a kid, still do. That doesn't mean the TV raised me.

Also she states

"and my son is actually 17. i know he swears like a saylior but it was the fact that she was saying about me and he saw what she was calling me. that's what bothered me. i let him play nodevil or games like that and i wouldn't let him in an adult room. the room i play in is G rated."

That says to me he was using her account. If he had his own account LL wouldn't let him in an adult sim. She would have no say in it.

our lifetime experiences is what make us who we are, those experiences include what we percieve from electronic media, people were influenced by radio music and talk shows as they grew up, and later by television programs, that influence early in our lifetimes can not be ignored.

we were raised by all those situations that happened around us, including our interaction with others and what we percieve from the media.

her statements don't clearly say to me that she share the same account with her son, i understand that she let him use second life in order to play those games, and he is forbidden by his mother to go to an adult room. she plays in the same room that her son plays.

not allowing your underage children to go to adult places is good parenting.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Point of order here.

There is nothing in the TOS forbidding allowing another person to log in with / use your account.

Though I do agree it is generally unwise to do so. 

4.1 You must establish an account to use certain aspects of the Service, using true and accurate registration information.

You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.

You can hardly say you used true and accurate information if the person behind the keyboard is not the one who registered.. Letting someone use you av is technically transferring it to them, albeit temporarily.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Point of order here.

There is nothing in the TOS forbidding allowing another person to log in with / use your account.

4.1 You must establish an account to use certain aspects of the Service, using true and accurate registration information.

You may not sell, transfer or assign your Account or its contractual rights, licenses and obligations, to any third party without the prior written consent of Linden Lab.

You can hardly say you used true and accurate information if the person behind the keyboard is not the one who registered.. Letting someone use you av is technically transferring it to them, albeit temporarily.

You could argue that you are not the same person who registered; in addition to the psychological changes that may have occurred, because of subsequent experience, and mood swings, with the consequent rewiring of your brain, you are physically not the same person, the actual cells in your body having a replacement half-life of, on average, about five years.

Alec - reflecting these physiological changes with identity mutation

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Point of order here.

Being that the TOS constitutes a (sometimes questionably) legal contract you would need to look at the legal definitions of those terms.  The legal usage of those terms is a bit more specific than everyday usage.

Saying that allowing someone else access to your account constitutes a '"transfer," howbeit temporary, is stretching it.

Also note that 4.2 does not  say you can not authorise someone else to access your account, rather it only states your obligations/responsibilities should you do so.

I will however never disagree with the fact it can be very unwise to do so.

sirhc DeSantis wrote:

A refreshing change to all this 'parenting' nonsense. Its not exactly hard is it. Several billion and counting after all

Like its precursor, sex, it's easy to do, but 99% do it badly.

Alec - the comments of those who are obviously practically ignorant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3174 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.