Windows 8 - Graphics Card issue? help... sigh...

Kain Cleaver

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just upgraded my system to windows 8.  whenever i run any version of second life.. either on the official viewer or phoenix/firestorm, i get a error about my graphics card being not up to date.  i have a NVIDIA GEForce GTX 560 Ti card.  i try installing the beta firmware but it keeps saying theres a issue while installing.   i goto the device manager for my system and it seems that the driver installed just fine .  

has anyone had success with getting around this issue? and if so what have you done.  please give me specific steps.

There was a Nvidia update last week  released for anticipation of windows 8 release. Did you just update the new version? The drivers  should not be beta

If you keep having the issue. Try uninstalling the viewers and reinstalling them so they perhaps recognize aLL the hardware drivers all over again

I had the same issue with Win 7.  I ignored it.   The only effect was that SL set my graphics to minimum.  Looked awful.  I set them to high and everything was fine.  You may want to check the Nvidia site for the most recent driver.   And never let Microsoft update touch your Nvidea driver.  It will probably "update" to an older driver.  

TKR 

Hello,

I had the same problem when I had installed Windows 8 Consumer preview. After googling till I couldn't anymore, I was unsuccessful in finding a solution. But I figured out a way to get around this on my own. *pops collar*

You need to download the graphics driver for Windows 7 either from your computer manufacture website or from nvidia's website.

Follow these steps:

1. Go to Device Manager.

2. Under Display Adapter, right-click your graphics driver and click Properties.

3. Go to the Events tab.

4. Look in the Dialog box, find the one that says Driver Installed. It will be an inf file.

5. Search the name of the .inf file on your Computer. It should be some where in your System32 folder.

6. Either delete or rename it.

7. Restart computer.

Note: This should not harm your computer. What it should do is install a generic Microsoft driver.

8. Install driver downloaded from earlier.

Note: I did this after trying to simply uninstall my driver did not work. But when I did this, I was able to install the Windows 7 driver with no problems and logon to SL.

Good Luck

Gabbii

Has anyone found a solution to fixing the video issue with Windows 8 and SL Viewer. I am still getting the error message about updating my video drivers I am running Radeon HD 4550. It seems that Windows 8 Changed it to a microsoft driver with WDDM1.1v. I know this is what is causing the issue but I go back to my driver and it just changes it back can someone please help me 

Just want everyone to know I found a solution to the issue just back track to the other driver pick it off the list of drivers and boom SL and Firestorm will work just as it normally did 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.