Will Sansar replace Second Life ?

Amchai

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This question has been raised often during the past years - it remains unanswered, so here goes. Will Second Life close after Sansar opens for business or will both business models run concurrently while profitable ? Will we be able to use both of them on the hardware with which we chose to run Second Life ? Any thoughts on the matter ?

Amchai wrote:

This question has been raised often during the past years -

it remains unanswered, so here goes. Will Second Life close after Sansar opens for business or will both business models run concurrently while profitable ?

Will we be able to use both of them on the hardware with which we chose to run Second Life ?

Any thoughts on the matter ?

I think you didn't read the other threads about this subject, it's answered all, as far answers are available.

SL and Sansar are totally different, so they can and will not replace eachother. SL will stay here as long it's profitable for LL and being used of course by enough people. As you can see there are still new things released here, they wouldn't do that if it's at the point of closing.

You can run both, but Sansar will preforming better on newer hardware, because also VR is planned to be a feature there, for full experience you will need higher end hardware..

Sansar will widen the gap between the professional 3D designers/elite and the rest of us plebes.

SL will degrade into IMVU environment, catering to the lowest-denominator, with junk items and junk people, and full of trolls and griefers.

With that pessimistic outlook, I think SL could still have a long and great future, but since there is no time being invested into revamping it, making it new-user friendly, and cleaning up how merchants design, market and sell their products, along with other issues - it seems doomed for failure.

At least in my part of the world, for the most part 19 of 20 participants are no longer in SL - and when SL is mentioned to the average person they either 1) Don't understand what it is 2) Think its for losers

SL is on its way out, and its not because of its usefulness, but rather it's image and presentation.

That is a pessimistic assessment. I'm still fascinated by the medium and probably spend far too much time online.I hope SL will always be available.

My question  is - if Sansar is not to replace S.L., what will Sansar be used for ?

How would Sansar become more attractive to users - remember what happened to all those commercial enterprises and educational institutions in SL a few years ago ?

How many people want to spend the time and can afford to don a VR headset for a virtual experience on a regular basis ?

Amchai wrote:

My question  is - if Sansar is not to replace S.L., what will Sansar be used for ?

How would Sansar become more attractive to users - remember what happened to all those commercial enterprises and educational institutions in SL a few years ago ?

How many people want to spend the time and can afford to don a VR headset for a virtual experience on a regular basis ?

you compare Sansar to much to SL... i mentioned it to another question earlier today, comparing Sansar to SL is like calling the Samsung TV department with a question about a washing machine... it's the same company but products are not comparable.

Sansar is no world, ready to enter, it is a platform where designers can make their world.

That world they create can be a look a like of SL, or a part of it, but it's core is totally different

Sansar isn't meant for the average SL user.

It has said, but I will add my voice. Sansar is made by Liden Labs and is a virtual world, bu thats where things grow apart...wildly apart. Sansar is not SL 2.0. It is not a replacment for or even the same sort of tool as SL. I think if anything Sansar could increase the visibility of SL. Anything that encourages virtual worlds and the acceptance of them is a good thing. Plus LL is undoubtedly going to learn things from building Sansar some of which may make their way back to us in SL.

Second Life = Legos
Sansar = Makerbot

That's not quite right tho ...

Second Life is to Woodstock like Sansar is to Super Bowl LI half time show.

Second Life is a snow day.  We all get to play and sometimes be amazed at the creativity of others.
Sansar will be chainsaw ice carvings you can go see for a 2 drink minimum. 

• Like 1

Amchai wrote:

That is a pessimistic assessment. I'm still fascinated by the medium and probably spend far too much time online.I hope SL will always be available.

Not pessimistic, just realistic. I see the potential of SL but see it failing in many areas, so I'm more skeptical. As far as Sansar being a non-open private 'experience' kind of thing, that's fine but not my interest, and I won't be buying VR things for quite a while until they actually make something great for them, the price comes down, and they become less of a gimmick product.

Yes I am very critical and seemingly pessimistic of things, but there's more than enough bull**bleep**ting and praise going around in the world and unicorn positivity - sometimes someone needs to step up and call a spade a spade.

We need to get the other 19 of the 20 people in my network back. That means an overhaul, a new strategy, incentives, tutorials and new opportunities.

entity0x wrote:

Amchai wrote:

Not pessimistic, just realistic. I see the potential of SL but see it failing in many areas, so I'm more skeptical. As far as Sansar being a non-open private 'experience' kind of thing, that's fine but not my interest, and I won't be buying VR things for quite a while until they actually make something great for them, the price comes down, and they become less of a gimmick product.

Yes I am very critical and seemingly pessimistic of things, but there's more than enough bull**bleep**ting and praise going around in the world and unicorn positivity - sometimes someone needs to step up and call a spade a spade.

We need to get the other 19 of the 20 people in my network back. That means an overhaul, a new strategy, incentives, tutorials and new opportunities.

Or you could join them.

Amchai wrote:

Thanks for the responses ... for one, my rig is definitely VR ready for Sansar

Mine too. But what about these 700 dollars for that funny goggle and about the 99 percent majority of stone aged, anti-progress, reactionary, stupid and not yet born ignorant creeps who refuse to buy the 980 GTX hi-end rig which is considered to be minimum requirement for the overwhelmingly stunning next generation VR experience?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.