Why is LL getting rid of third party Linden Dollar sellers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Tonight I just heard that LL is getting rid of L$ third party sellers. My store has a DX ATM, so that means that they will no longer be allowed to sell L$. What I want to know is this. Why? Why not allow members to sell L$? It looks like that LL is coming up with more, and more rules. There should be fewer rules, not more. What will LL not allow next? LL allows third party viewers, and I use one. It is Singularity Viewer. Will they not allow that next?

LL was doing a pilot program. They decided to end the program. Since Lindens can be exchanged for real money, LL has decided to control the purchase end as well as the sell end. They do have to protect themselves since the RL money to cover the Linden exchange comes from their pockets. Someone uses a fake credit card to purchase through a 3rd party and then change them out for real money through LL, LL is on the hook for that money. 

It's a matter of keeping the exchange of RL money and Lindens under their control.

Those third party linden sellers help a lot of users, international users, that can't buy lindens because Linden Lab don't provide them with the means for them to spend their real money in support of the company.

the third party sellers are channels in which international flow of income comes to Linden Lab, by blocking them, Linden Lab is cuttting its own income.

unless they provide various alternatives for people to spend money in them, blocking third party sellers will just make the company worse, they need money, they don't need to decrease their resources.

• Like 1

Have you ever had a look at the list of countries that has access to paypal and skrill?  And how many can get a CC ?

If you have you won't tell anymore it is impossible for many people to buy L$ at the main website.

Most people simply don't look at other methods.

I imagine it was also very complicated trying to police this. You have every scammer under the sun trying to trivk you with Linden into giving away personal info, and you'd probably have to have someone administering third party sales and the infrastructure supporting them. It's just as easy to bring the whole thing in house since they are doing all the work anyways.

I really doubt there a conspiracy here to kill SL or to keep international players out.

I think it affects L$ resellers. Not sure about free money ATMs. I also have those. Does anybody know if it will have any affect on free money ATMs? Those don't sell L$. Only gives out L$ when people do a survey, or watch a video, or do task. Since those don't sell L$, will it affect them?

I can understand they stopped the resellers because they couldn't control them.

But why could I buy lindens from a reseller without a credit card and not from LL?

I used IDEAL and I do have a paypal account without credit card, but no way I can buy lindens.

At the end I will probably stop playing SL, because from time to time I need to buy things and pay my rent:((((

Eddah

Eddah wrote:

I used IDEAL and I do have a paypal account without credit card, but no way I can buy lindens.

Eddah

When you could use Ideal, you can also use Paypal. You might have missed that you need to link Paypal to your bank account.

The good news is: Buying with Paypal is cheaper then with Ideal

I linked Paypal to my bankaccount, but now I don't know how or where I can buy lindens.

I can't add it to my payment information, SL asks for a creditcard number. I wished someone could help me:(

Eddah

• 1 month later...

I imagine that the case also involves with a minor's access to SL and how LL wants them gone. In the US, the minimum age for a bank account (not a saving's account or one interlocked with their parental figure) is 18 and to purchase Lindens via. Paypal requires the user to have a bank account connected to their Paypal. I completely understand this move from LL.

• 4 months later...

Because of the death of a parent and a long illness I was unable to log on to SL for quite some time.  I missed my friends very much and finally I got the ball rolling again and have started to log on regularly.  Naturally I was out of Lindens so bought a PaySafe Card to the value of £50 GBP this morning.  No, no one told me LL had stopped third party exchanges. I don't have a Premium Account - I really wish I did.  I'm 46 and married. Many women throughout the world don't have control of a Credit Card, or Bank Account. So we can't even set up a Payal account.  Today LL rminded me of my place in the world. I have to say I sobbed. Stupid, isn't it. SL is just a game., just an escape from the ugliness of real life and all its day to day issues and problems and burdens. So why get so worried about it? Ok, I just flushed £50, but that's only a few days' housekeeping, I can make it up. I seriously wish I didn't have to, but that's my problem.  It's my loss of self worth that will take a little longer to come to terms with. I just wish those who make these decisions could occasionally think about the effect on real people rather than their bottom line. Ha - who am I kidding? SL is just a game. It's not important.... is it.

You also have the option of using a Skrill account, which may be easier than PayPal in some parts of the world.  Also, PayPal and Skrill will accept deposits from debit cards, gift cards, and other prepaid cards, unlike Linden Lab.  As long as you have enough cash balance in your Skrill or PayPal account when you go to buy L$, Linden Lab doesn't care how it got there.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.