Why did you first log into Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was talking to some old friends while watching a documentary about virtual worlds last night and the topic of How You First Joined one came up.

My story is that I was the Chief Strategy Officer for a large and well known internet company where my job was to look at trends and determine the direction of our company in response to these trends.  I was on my way home after speaking at a conference in Dallas in the summer of 2006 and picked up a copy of the New Economist with a story about SL.  What struck me most was the virtual economy and saw this as a potential trend that I needed to look into.

When I got home that Friday afternoon, I joined and don't think I logged out until late Sunday night.  I was amazed and from there, I saw this as less of an opportunity for my company as they saw little interest so I left my job, bought a sim and began a project for EMI records.

Though the project for EMI never really got off the ground I did gain interest from my adult content clients and soon brought in Playboy, Jenna Jameson, Met-Art, Score Cabaret, Vivid and many others. 

I've been here ever since though now I am back in the corporate world, my clients from SL are still my clients outside of SL and I still am amazed with this place.

Having built 22 sims in my time here, I have learned to become a pretty good creator and now my building is my hobby and my passion.

I had enjoyed the sims games when I was younger and other online worlds and games but I realized I'd gotten tired of slaying monsters in other games and simply wanted a separate life to relax and see/learn new stuff... So I had heard of SL and one of my friends was joining so I figured I'd join with him (who soon quit there after) and then I stuck with it.

Six Igaly wrote:

Because my GF asked me to explore SL for her.  She actually had to explore SL for her work but she was too busy herself.

I'm not sure if she ever regretted this:matte-motes-big-grin:

LOL, you came here to do your GF's work? That's so funny and now does she ever join you here?

...... because my partner and I are both travelling a lot for business purposes in real life we use second life to interact with each other (doing nasty things). Second life offers so much more than a 2D platform and that is where it differentiates from the rest, and we must keep it like that :matte-motes-delicious: *meows*

My reason was the same as Voids, to connect with my RL partner when we're apart.  It fills in a lot where phone calls and texts can't.  Being able to work on projects together for example, look forward to dates, add another layer to intimacy, it's been pretty amazing.  

Also because he's disabled, it's allowed us to do things we couldn't do in RL, like go dancing and do lots of exploring. Obviously it's not the same as RL, but we've found that the emotions that come along with doing these things together are very satisfying. 

In 2006 SL was all over the media. The BBC took an interest in it and ran a few shows on it; they even had a few news reports from within SL. I'd already heard a little about virtual worlds like Entropia, and was a big fan of Snow Crash, so I was keen to give it a try. For the first year I think I logged in every day, and it's still rare that I'm away for more than a day or two.

Before Second Life I'd not been into virtual worlds or computer games at all.  I had dabbled in chat rooms and messaging so when I saw a feature on the BBC News in 2006 about  a 3D animated chat room where you could create your own avatar and build things, I wanted to give it a try.  Foolishly, I forgot the name of this 'chat room'.  However, a few weeks later I stumbled across Second Life and realised this is what I'd seen on the BBC.  I joined and the initial experience was disappointing but I persevered and learned to build and make textures.  I later discovered that the reason for disappointment was that the computer I used wasn't really up to SL, and furthermore graphics were set to 'low'.  

I don't remember why I joined SL in 2007, probably read about it somewhere.

But I looked around and thought this was all just about chatting, shopping, dressing up your avatar, dance clubs and virtual hankpy panky.

I don't care for any of those things so I left probably after a few days.

And I only returned in 2009 to test out my new macbook, to see if it could handle SL because I remembered SL demanded a lot from a computer.

If it wasn't for suddenly discovering the vintage scene, I probably would have left again after a few hours.

This time I stuck around and am now running a full region and very active community :)

Conifer Dada wrote:

I later discovered that the reason for disappointment was that the computer I used wasn't really up to SL, and furthermore graphics were set to 'low'.  

I've often wondered how many residents we've lost over the year because of this since I have heard this many times.  I was playing a lot of Roller Coaster Tycoon at the time which forced me to get a good graphics card but if I didn't have that, my experience would have probably been the same.

My wife and I both found out about and got into SL through our oldest grown daughter.  She had been in SL a year already and was establishing a business in the clothing market.  It was very intriguing.  I am sure she freaked a little bit when we stayed, but has never admitted so.  :smileyhappy:  That was September 2006, been here ever since.

My roommate and I was watching an episode of CSI NY on DVD and it had feature Second Life in it, We both thought " wow the game's so cool" and so, we tried it out.

I signed up and made an account and on my very first log in, I was disappointed:matte-motes-frown:. I guess I had my mind set of it to be like what it was on the CSI episode. After a few more loggins I became bored of the game.

It was during my break-up that I needed an escape, so I went back to the game and when I made friends in the game and started to learn the ropes of what the in-game world can offer, Second life became fun. 

I originally was on a similar game to sl where i met my best friend, she was in america, i am in australia so it was a way to be able to hangout and catch up etc, the game we were on was very cartoon like so i went seeking a similar game and found sl, then she came here too, have met some great people from all over the world.

Mine is not very exciting at all.  I saw the rollercoaster and I saw the red dress period costume on the SL front page, and I wanted to log in so I could ride that rollercoaster and buy that red dress period costume with the mask.  Not too exciting, eh?  I also fell in love with Marketplace!  I was sold by these: virtual rollercoaster (I wanted to see how it would work), incredibly gorgeous period costumes, and especially Marketplace.   I think Marketplace really sold it for me because I thought oh the rollercoaster will be fun, but this Marketplace deal here could be endless.  So I was really sold by Marketplace, though was intrigued to see how a virtual rollercoaster would work. 

My oldest son had just left our place to go to uni. I began messing with his PC but was useless .I could just about open and send email and that was it.He told me about SL and I tried it for a laugh.

That was in Oct 2006. The next 6 months I was totally immersed in SL and computers, I had a lot to learn and would often go 24 hours without  sleep.

Almost 5 years later I can build computers ,use photoshop,Blender etc, and have totally changed my lifestyle.I can even rez a prim. My own successful RL business has benefited as well.I  do all my own graphics stuff in house which saves a fortune,

The only downside so far has been that I am constantly pestered by friends and family to fix their computers and sort out their stuff LOL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.