Who's ready for the Server Side Baking!?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know I am! The effect is twofold for me. :catvery-happy:

First, it (hopefully) means the end of broken avatars.

Second, it forces people to use the latest viewer, which means the special effects and new features I use that accidently crash older viewers can be seen properly! (Several people I know are crashed by me wearing a rigged mesh and they are using snowglobe/1.23/pheonix-based viewer)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nagachief Darkstone wrote:

Second, it forces people to use the latest viewer, which means the special effects and new features I use that accidently crash older viewers can be seen properly! (Several people I know are crashed by me wearing a rigged mesh and they are using snowglobe/1.23/pheonix-based viewer)

Since I just got a new PC, I'm as ready for SSB as I ever will be.  Maybe after that my avatar who seems to have lost weight during the transition from the pre-mesh Phoenix to CoolVL and Singularity viewers will look normal again.  Still need to dl Firestorm.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote: [...] 
or will we have to put up with a lot of bugs for a while? 

When don't we? :smileytongue:

But even with those, it's gonna be a veeeery interesting time...

Hopefully is the key word.  ;)

Second, it forces people to use the latest viewer, which means the special effects and new features I use that accidently crash older viewers can be seen properly!

And this is a problem for you personally how?

(Several people I know are crashed by me wearing a rigged mesh and they are using snowglobe/1.23/pheonix-based viewer)

You're barking at Shadows.  I use the latest and greatest and have a decent computer and still crash.  Have you visited the JIRA's lately?  And as I asked above, how does this affect you personally?

Which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sometimes you just have to drop users that are hampering progress.

And how exactly does people using older Viewers hold up progress?  Pray tell, tell us how?

Even though I can use the latest and greatest, a little secret.  It has several graphics settings availble.  You know, Low, Medium, High, Ultra.  That stuff.

Even though I can run on Ultra I can still choose to run on Low.

You know who's choice that is.

Mine.

Not Yours.

People using older Viewers do not hold up progress.  They may get left behind.  But they do not hold it up.

You are gloating about the wrong things in the wrong place.  Be careful you don't choke on your gloat.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Shansi Kenin wrote:

Ready to be baked:matte-motes-evil-grin:

Like a cookie? Do you come in a chocolatechip edition then?

When you truly understand and feel baked, either on server- on client-side, you'll consider your own questions sheer mental torture .. :robotindifferent:

Porky Gorky wrote:

I was born ready....

Of course.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Hopefully is the key word. 
;)

Second, it forces people to use the latest viewer, which means the special effects and new features I use that accidently crash older viewers can be seen properly!

(Several people I know are crashed by me wearing a rigged mesh and they are using snowglobe/1.23/pheonix-based viewer)

You're barking at Shadows.  I use the latest and greatest and have a decent computer and still crash.  Have you visited the JIRA's lately?  And as I asked above, how does this affect you personally?

Which doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sometimes you just have to drop users that are hampering progress.

And how exactly does people using older Viewers hold up progress?  Pray tell, tell us how?

Even though I can use the latest and greatest, a little secret.  It has several graphics settings availble.  You know, Low, Medium, High, Ultra.  That stuff.

Mine.

Not Yours.

People using older Viewers do not hold up progress.  They may get left behind.  But they do not hold it up.

You are gloating about the wrong things in the wrong place.  Be careful you don't choke on your gloat.

i second you totally Perrie.

ive always used the latest viewer versions. My laptop doesnt have a great graph card but for anything else its a great comp, so i ve always been able to handle any new viewer updates.. 

Nevertheless; i run on low too bec otherwise my fps is too much low and i have too much lag... , i only switch to ultra when i do my photos and then go back asap to low.  On top, no matter what i try, i cant enable shadows and wont probably be able to enable the right settings for materials.. but anyway, i still enjoy SL on a dayly basis since 4 years and this doesnt empeach me either to create, make business and even art in SL. 

But yeah, im ready for SSB, no worries for me.

That said, when i see some comments in this thread, it just give me nausea... im asking to myself what some ppl have instead of a heart... What satisfaction can they get just thinking the ones who wont be able to afford a better PC for handling the latest viewer will have to leave SL. 

I cant help being sad for all those ppl who wont be able to handle the SSB and as some said here "will have their Second life broken". It could be me, it could be you, it could be any of us..... We dont really choose to be poor or rich.... Our society is nothing but unfair... and often ppl have to do with what they have and only that... And yes, even if i still think the SSB should be (only should because we know how improvement work with LL, sighs ) a great improvement, im still sad that for it, we will have to sacrify some of the second life citizens whose only mistake is to not be able to afford a new comp. Even if im glad to see SSB coming, i cant be fully happy when i think to all those who will have see their "second life broken"... 

well, id rather go to bed.. what ive read here disgusted me more than i could say. 

Thank you Perrie for your post. 

EDIT : typo

Well, I have found that many people are pretty selfish and could care less about others. If it works for them.. great, if not I am sure they would be singing a different song. I also find blaming those with older machines holding back any advancement here, I would think that would fall in LL and Viewer Devs laps.

Im a bit confused as to why it would break peoples experience? From what I read it doesn't force a persons graphics any higher, It is just a new way to receieve and transfer data relating to avatars? There is no forcing people to run anything above low? Transferring avatar data tothe server and from the server to you wont break anyones computer, might hamper your internet connection a bit? Or do I have all of it wrong?

The problem is that all SSA viewers have too the latest improvements in sl (mesh, materials, etc.). There are people with with equipment that cannot handle these features, and updating to a SSA will force them to these features as well.

In fact, I have an old laptop that is way under the minimum for SL (it was already under minimum in 2007, when I joined SL). I can use it with Firestorm 4.4.2, with mesh enabled and everything else, but is slow (~5 FPS) so I do prefer to use an old Phoenix in it.

In time. This is not my main computer, I mostly use it to login an alt, to adjust couples positions in animations, so I don't have a problem with it being slow, as the alt just sit and I work in my main 'puter.

Frawmusl wrote:

Im a bit confused as to why it would break peoples experience? From what I read it doesn't force a persons graphics any higher, It is just a new way to receieve and transfer data relating to avatars? There is no forcing people to run anything above low? Transferring avatar data tothe server and from the server to you wont break anyones computer, might hamper your internet connection a bit? Or do I have all of it wrong?

People running a Viewer that does not have Server Side Baking enabled will only see grey Ava's.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Hopefully is the key word. 
;)

Mine.

Not Yours.

i second you totally Perrie.

ive always used the latest viewer versions. My laptop doesnt have a great graph card but for anything else its a great comp, so i ve always been able to handle any new viewer updates.. 

Nevertheless; i run on low too bec otherwise my fps is too much low and i have too much lag... , i only switch to ultra when i do my photos and then go back asap to low.  On top, no matter what i try, i cant enable shadows and wont probably be able to enable the right settings for materials.. but anyway, i still enjoy SL on a dayly basis since 4 years and this doesnt empeach me either to create, make business and even art in SL. 

But yeah, im ready for SSB, no worries for me.

That said, when i see some comments in this thread, it just give me nausea... im asking to myself what some ppl have instead of a heart... What satisfaction can they get just thinking the ones who wont be able to afford a better PC for handling the latest viewer will have to leave SL. 

I cant help being sad for all those ppl who wont be able to handle the SSB and as some said here "will have their Second life broken". It could be me, it could be you, it could be any of us..... We dont really choose to be poor or rich.... Our society is nothing but unfair... and often ppl have to do with what they have and only that... And yes, even if i still think the SSB should be (only should because we know how improvement work with LL, sighs ) a great improvement, im still sad that for it, we will have to sacrify some of the second life citizens whose only mistake is to not be able to afford a new comp. Even if im glad to see SSB coming, i cant be fully happy when i think to all those who will have see their "second life broken"... 

well, id rather go to bed.. what ive read here disgusted me more than i could say. 

Thank you Perrie for your post. 

EDIT : typo

Thank you Trinity and Perrie for saying all I would want to say in response to Nagachief's narrow-minded post.  An "I'm All Right, Jack" attitude is more than likely going to backfire on someone in the end.

I've been wary of some of the changes, been accused of being a Luddite (fair enough).

In real life I go along with the recycling programme in my part of the world, and most of the light bulbs in my home are saverbulbs, and I look out for my neighbours and ensure I eat the recommended 5 fruit and veg each day.

In Second Life, I have done my utmost to keep up with changes, may have grumbled about Viewer 2 when it came into being, but I endeavoured not only to be multi-lingual concerning viewers, but actively took part in beta group testing for many of the new features, reported bugs on the JIRAs, attempted to help and advise wherever I could.  All in all I would not say I "hampered progress".  Neither have all the people who will get knocked out of SL by the latest SSB upgrades coming in, the ones who have helped to fund it by putting into the Linden economy one way or another, but also the ones who have simply enjoyed logging into Second Life to meet up and make friends from all around the world, the ones who might not be uber-geek's but who enjoy(ed) being part of Philip Rosedale's 'Utopia'. 

Bye bye to the hobbyists then and Go Super Race! :smileyfrustrated:

I've been "Beta Server Side Baked" and am so ready for Mainline Server Side Baking - Bring it on Sunshine!

I truly am sorry for those people who are still utilizing Snowglobe technology. SL has been broken for you for a long time but the past is the past and the old ways are no longer.

I noticed a few comments about the "Selfish" POV of those who are prepared for SSA [sSB] and hints that Linden Research doesn't care about the older PC technology. Well truth be told the whole graphics industry has left the old PCs behind. This is not one of those areas where old graphics technology can be supported. It's not the software that makes the world look real, it's the Graphics Chip sets and the associated firmware with Viewer support using that technology.

I'm looking forward to seeing the world with my new AMD Radeon™ HD 6850 Graphics card. :D

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3941 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.