What is the suggested viewer?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

I'm currently using the standard SL viewer, but I want to 'upgrade' my viewer, I've heard of firestorm, but are there others? What are the pros/cons of firestorm, or any other viewers? What would y'all suggest?

Thank you in advance

-Lydia-

What works best for you is the best viewer for you. You only find out what is the best for is by trying out.

You can start finding out with Firestorm viewer for example. It has lots of extra nice features what Second Life viewer lacks. Some people find the extra features very useful (I do), some don't.

Here a list of third party viewers:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

The main thing you give up when switching to a third-party viewer is access to the very newest (and buggiest) features, especially the ones that require server-side development. Usually those features aren't exposed immediately in the standard Linden viewer, either, but only in Project and Release Candidate viewers, but still they'll usually appear in a Linden standard viewer weeks or months before they make it into most TPVs.

This may not matter to you. Indeed, the majority of SL users find more value in continuing to use all the existing special TPV features, compared to the new stuff that's in any single generation of Linden viewer.

Personally, I'm almost always testing some feature that's only available in a Linden project viewer, and I've found it tremendously frustrating to switch back and forth between that and a feature-rich TPV such as Firestorm.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Reputedly the Black Dragon Viewer allows you to use more graphics memory than any other.

I like the DOF (Depth of field) in Black Dragon viewer. It's easy to adjust, and it works great. In some viewers setting the DOF is a PITA. However the UI in Black Dragon viewer is rather strange.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Reputedly the Black Dragon Viewer allows you to use more graphics memory than any other.

[Personally, I use the Red Dragon Viewer, which allows me to view female avatars with their clothes removed.}

Yes to using more video memory of Black Dragon viewer!

As to your second comment, I'm trying to determine whether that's sad or funny. I'm leaning towards sad at the moment.

kiramanell wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

[Personally, I use the Red Dragon Viewer, which allows me to view female avatars with their clothes removed.}

Yes to using more video memory of Black Dragon viewer!

As to your second comment, I'm trying to determine whether that's sad or funny. I'm leaning towards sad at the moment.

I am leaning towards funny myself. That's just hilarious. Where you find red viewer at? lmao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3289 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.