What happened in History on this date

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all!  I will be posting here daily to share things that happened in history on this date.  Here is the first entry for April the 11th.

Its April the 11th. Here are some things that happened in histroy on this date! 2011 - In France, a law banning wearing the burqa and hijab goes into effect. 1993 - 57th Golf Masters Championship: Bernhard Langer wins, shooting a 277. 1986 - Halley's Comet makes closest approach to Earth this trip, 63 M km.

1970 - Apollo 13 launched to Moon; unable to land, returns in 6 days.

Apollo13-Damaged-SM-2010-04-17RS.jpg

The damaged Apollo 13 as seen from the Command Module after separation shortly before the Apollo 13 Crew re-enters the Earth's atmosphere. As can be seen, the explosion caused severe damage, ripping open the Service Module.

1961 - Bob Dylan's 1st appearance at Folk City, Greenwich Village. 1471 - King Edward IV of England conquers London from Henry VI. Have a great day all!

Peace!

It started like any other spring afternoon in 1947; an inter-league exhibition game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.  Ordinarily, exhibition games do not make history, but this one did.  On this date, in 1947, Jackie Robinson played second base for Brooklyn. 

Jackie Robinson not only broke the 'color' barrier but went on to become one of the legendary competitors of the game.

Puddy wins!!

Competitive Space Race With Rival Countries Early Technology and brave achievement.
Finding God after a drug and drinking spree take second seat to the act of courageous coaches/players to simply treat a man for what he knows and not his color.

I love history,I can not help my self to spend 5 mins looking up things like this.

PudgyPaddy wrote:

It started like any other spring afternoon in 1947; an inter-league exhibition game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.  Ordinarily, exhibition games do not make history, but this one did.  On this date, in 1947, Jackie Robinson played second base for Brooklyn. 

Jackie Robinson not only broke the 'color' barrier but went on to become one of the legendary competitors of the game.

YAY!  Thanks for adding that here Pudgy!

Peace!

TammyTgurl Umaga wrote:

Puddy wins!!

Competitive Space Race With Rival Countries Early Technology and brave achievement.

Finding God after a drug and drinking spree take second seat to the act of courageous coaches/players to simply treat a man for what he knows and not his color.

I love history,I can not help my self to spend 5 mins looking up things like this.

So good!

Peace!

emmettcullen93 wrote:

got to say the favorite is englands
history my favorite forgien contery besides bora bora!

Here is another morsel you can add to that intellectual arsenal of yours: Bora Bora is neither a country or a contery.

In addition, their only "history" is that of a supply base during WWII (perhaps the quickest history class ever taught is the history of Bora Bora.)   You can tell all your friends you read it here first. 

PudgyPaddy wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

Here is another morsel you can add to that intellectual arsenal of yours: Bora Bora is neither a country or a contery.

In addition, their only "history" is that of a supply base during WWII (perhaps the quickest history class ever taught is the history of Bora Bora.)   You can tell all your friends you read it here first. 

;) sweet good to know. island cant be county to small lot like pluto rofl. beautiful area thou have to admit!

emmettcullen93 wrote:

PudgyPaddy wrote:

emmettcullen93 wrote:

;)

sweet good to know. island cant be county to small lot like pluto rofl. beautiful area thou have to admit!

Wrong, as size has NOTHING to do with status as a country.  Here are a few small island nations (countries):

Antigua and Barbuda

Barbados

Bahrain

Dominica

Grenada

Kiribati

Maldives

Malta

Marshall Islands

Naura

ha they are just jelious of the beauty of the land is all.

i was jk about the size anyway had to pun on pluto.

:)

that is alot of countries that are that size thou.

PudgyPaddy wrote:

Antigua and Barbuda

Barbados

Bahrain

Dominica

Grenada

Kiribati

Maldives

Malta

Marshall Islands

Naura

2017 - President Newt Gingrich announces plans to establish a permanent outpost on the surface of Saturn. When informed that Saturn is not solid, Gringrich moves the planned outpost to the rings and budgets extra money for a fence to keep people from falling over the edges.

2020 - Jo Yardley celebrates the 100th anniversary of the first April 11 of Berlin's 1920s. The normally bookish Ms. Yardley is found leaning against a streetlamp singing "Das Mädchen unter der Laterne" while drawing little smoke hearts in the air with an unfiltered cigarette in an elegant gold and ivory holder.

2026 - Pope RuPaul I takes papal purple to new heights by wearing an emethyst tiara to the 1/4 mile elimination races at Great Lakes Speedway.

2040 - Finally old enough to hold political office (and drink), Bay City Mayor Marianne McCann takes her first sip of beer and promptly spits it out, crying "Ewwwwwwww!!!"

2066 - The United States christens its first interplanetary cruiser, the USS Bowman. The Bowman's mission, to promote peace and grooviness throughout the galaxy will be cut short just two weeks later during a collision with the Martian cruise ship Carnival Juran, which swerves to avoid a vintage Millenium Falcon being backed out of orbit by an elderly Keli Kyrie. What could have been an interplanetary melee actually turns into an impromptu love-in as the lingerie clad Martians prove exquisitely sensitive to second hand smoke.

In 1512 The forces of the Holy League are heavily defeated by the French at the Battle of Ravenna.

In 1814, Napolean Boneparte, emperor of France and one of the greatest military leaders in history, abdicates the throne, and, in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, is banished to the Mediterranean island of Elba.

In 1941 Germany bombers blitz Conventry, England.

In 1951, President Truman relieved Gen. Douglas MacArthur of his commands in the Far East.

In 1981 President Ronald Reagan returns to the White House from hospital after recovery from an assassination attempt, by John W. Hinckley, Jr.

In 1988 Cher wins Best Actress for Moonstruck

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

2017 - President New Gingrich announces plans to establish a permanent outpost on the surface of Saturn. When informed that Saturn is not solid, Gringrich moves the planned outpost to the rings and budgets extra money for a fence to keep people from falling over the edges.

2020 - Jo Yardley celebrates the 100th anniversary of the first April 11 of Berlin's 1920s. The normally bookish Ms. Yardley is found leaning against a streetlamp singing 
"Das Mädchen unter der Laterne" 
while drawing little smoke hearts in the air with an unfiltered cigarette in an elegant gold and ivory holder.

2026 - Pope RuPaul I takes papal purple to new heights by wearing an emethyst tiara to the 1/4 mile elimination races at Great Lakes Speedway.

2040 - Finally old enough to hold political office (and drink), Bay City Mayor Marianne McCann takes her first sip of beer and promptly spits it out, crying "Ewwwwwwww!!!"

2066 - The United States christens its first interplanetary cruiser, the USS Bowman. The Bowman's mission, to promote peace and grooviness throughout the galaxy will be cut short just two weeks later during a collision with the Martian cruise ship Carnival Juran, which swerves to avoid a vintage Millenium Falcon being backed out of orbit by an elderly Keli Kyrie. What could have been an interplanetary melee actually turns into an impromptu love-in as the lingerie clad Martians prove exquisitely sensitive to second hand smoke.

LOL Maddy!  That is so funny I almost spit coffee on the computer!  Sigh!  Thanks for the laugh!  HAHAHAHAH!

Peace!

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

In 1512 The forces of the Holy League are heavily defeated by the French at the Battle of Ravenna.

In 1814, Napolean Boneparte, emperor of France and one of the greatest military leaders in history, abdicates the throne, and, in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, is banished to the Mediterranean island of Elba.

In 1941 Germany bombers blitz Conventry, England.

In 1951, President Truman relieved Gen. Douglas MacArthur of his commands in the Far East.

In 1981 President Ronald Reagan returns to the White House from hospital after recovery from an assassination attempt, by John W. Hinckley, Jr.

In 1988 Cher wins Best Actress for Moonstruck

Oh that is good Drake!  Thank you for sharing!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.