What are LL plans for the future

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I been in SL for about 3 years now and seen lots of changes, alas I am afraid I feel SL has gone downhill,

LL has pushed Marketplace to a point that now it does not pay to just try and sell from a shop in SL as before, the advertising is not the worth the money is written on you spend so much in $L to advertise but the search viewer just dont work as the old one. 

Many are leaving SL this has to be adressed by LL, the fact we are in a recesssion why don't LL reduce the tiers as help us.

would they prefer us to just close shop and leave or help us make it through these times?

My other Gripe is why don't LL hear what we have to say and adress it , have an open forum with us and lets hear what they have to say about our gripes, 

many of my friends have left SL and although I love it I steering towards that myself, I want LL to adress our problems and be transperent and tell us they are.

The biggest most grip I hear, is too many of us log in to SL only to spend most of the time dealing with bloddy tec problems, if its not rebaking, frezzing,crashes,no TP's ect, we spend most of the time doing this rather thatn getting on and playing the game, this is the most I hear about from others and the biggest reason people are leaving SL,

LL you need to get your act together,   him us and tell us what your doing, falling on deaf ears will only lead to more people leaving

It seems you have asked three questions here, so I will give you the three answers as I see it 1) greed, 2) greed and 3) profit. 

I remember when if you put in an AR or a jira, you would et an email within 24 hours and not long after that the problem would be fixed. However to increase their profitablitiy, LL has reduced the staff , and probably have an internal policy of not answering ANY jira or AR unless absolutly neccessary. I have become quite disenchanted with SL since the staff purge, and more and more think about leaving. though LL probably make enough profit to say "who cares....GO"

greek Wingtips wrote:

The biggest most grip I hear, is too many of us log in to SL only to spend most of the time dealing with bloddy tec problems, if its not rebaking, frezzing,crashes,no TP's ect, we spend most of the time doing this rather thatn getting on and playing the game, this is the most I hear about from others and the biggest reason people are leaving SL,

LL you need to get your act together,   him us and tell us what your doing, falling on deaf ears will only lead to more people leaving

I empathize with some of your remarks.  I do not use Marketplace unless I am looking for something to gift and I am unable to gift it from the inworld location.  Besides, I like to shop inworld. 

SL is a computer-intensive program and one viewer may work better than another for you.  When I first rezzed my little laptop was not equipped to see many things without taking several minutes to rez.  This was almost five years ago.  I have been through three other computers since then.  So, one must be willing to pay to play so to speak.

The viewer experience has improved alot.  If one is not working for you, there are others to try.  Just do not try them all at once or you may run into problems with more than one sharing the same cache area.

Crossing sims on Mainland is much improved.  I used to get my car or bike wedged into the pavement upon crossing.  Not anymore.

Windlight was novel four years ago.  Now, it is expected..routine..and wonderful.

I, too, would like to hear Rod's longer term plans for SL.

I read this post after having spent the last hour clearing cache, relogging, rebaking, waiting for inventory to fetch and still not loading from my cloud avi.... so I feel the pain of those you speak. 

I am also a sim owner, business owner, creator and blah blah blah in SL.. 

Yes SL is bad... yes.. it is expensive... but.. it has been worse. 

I remember the days of the Monkey Wrench photos on the regular website saying the grid was down and they were working on it.. EVERY. FREAKING. WEEKEND. 

I remember TPing somewhere and landing with your hair, or your shoe, attached to your rear end (OR BOTH!) 

I remember hoping that you were on a good sim with lots to do when the TPs went down - as they did at least once a week across the grid. 

I remember frantically clicking "login" and holding my breath for when the logins would be restored gridwide after a system crash.

Trying to get my avi to load once in a while isn't so bad when I think about what it used to be like.

That being said, being a cloud is no fun - paying 295 USD a month for a sim to myself is no fun (although they did recently have a sale that waived the 1000$ USD set up fees which certainly made owning a sim more accessable..) and knowing that my shop space is much much much much less likely to come to my in world shop that i'm paying through th nose for, than my marketplace shop that LL just takes a cut from. 

One thing that used to be awesome and now is down the tubes is certainly the support. The support used to be awesome, and now its crap. Point blank. But that's what happens when you a) downsize and b) outsource. Less people working at the same thing and more people without a vested interest in the company creates a lot of people who could really give a **bleep** about your issues. 

So like anything, there's good and bad things about SL currently - and the poor RL economy certainly isn't helping things, but hopefully things will look up soon, on both fronts. I am quite interested to see where Linden Labs will head next. 

Good Luck in World!

LL plans for the future

Follow the link for Rod Humble's address to SLCC 2011 where he says what LL's plans are for the future.  His 40 min videoed speech is halfway down the page.

To address a few of your points, if somebody spends more than you to advertise they will miraculously appear higher than you in the listings.  I'm sure that if you paid more than everybody else you'd be miffed if somebody who paid L$50 appeared before you.

Are many leaving?  Can you link a source?  According to the video above 16,000 people join SL each day.  Are you suggesting more than that leave each day?

I agree that MP is doing nothing beneficial for inworld shopping or land sales in general.

As regards, them [LL] listening to us and doing what we want maybe they do listen, but when are we rarely all in agreement with each other and people who write in forums do not represent the vast majority.  A user survey that had to be completed before a login addressing a wide range of known issues would be better and yes, it would be nice to see the end results.

All those tech things that happen to you that you have listed hardly ever happen to me.  I'm sure that when you eventually get round to buying a new computer most of them will disappear for you too.  This is a resource hungry platform made worse by people using too higher resolution textures, using unnecessary scripts or AOs when not needed.  If they won't change or your PC can't handle it then there is little at the moment that LL can do to change that.

As for your final point LL have told us what they are doing in that video and various other resources too if you could spare a minute to look there first rather than a minute venting your spleen here to be redirected there anyway.

A more extensive summary regarding other aspects of SL from SLCC

from Sy:

"Are many leaving?  Can you link a source?  According to the video above 16,000 people join SL each day.  Are you suggesting more than that leave each day?"

The problem is: they don't stay/don't spend much time in world. According to LL's own statistics, even with the number of new registrations going up, the sum of time spent in world by all is going down at least since Q2 2010 already (that's the last quarter listed in the current Q3 2011 statistics). So it seems that all the concentration on "Nice and Shiny" doesn't really work, doesn't really makes the new ones "survive" the 1st hour/1st week/1st month.

Well quite Venus.  You'd think that they would want to showcase us at least some of what happened at SLCC and a CEO reporting on the past year and outlining plans for the future with a Q&A  too should at the very least get a link on their blog...?

Oh I have seen that too Daniel, but I've also read and I think another poster in another thread mentioned that gamers are spending less hours in total on all games whether it's online or offline gaming and an increasing amount of time on social networks connected with the games or pure social networks such as FB and similar.  Whether SL users comply less or more with that observed trend I've no idea or indeed whether it's due to the entry experience in SL for new users.

Sy Beck wrote:

Follow the link for Rod Humble's address to SLCC 2011 where he says what LL's plans are for the future.  His 40 min videoed speech is halfway down the page.

To address a few of your points, if somebody spends more than you to advertise they will miraculously appear higher than you in the listings.  I'm sure that if you paid more than everybody else you'd be miffed if somebody who paid L$50 appeared before you.

Are many leaving?  Can you link a source?  According to the video above 16,000 people join SL each day.  Are you suggesting more than that leave each day?

I agree that MP is doing nothing beneficial for inworld shopping or land sales in general.

As regards, them [LL] listening to us and doing what we want maybe they do listen, but when are we rarely all in agreement with each other and people who write in forums do not represent the vast majority.  A user survey that had to be completed before a login addressing a wide range of known issues would be better and yes, it would be nice to see the end results.

All those tech things that happen to you that you have listed hardly ever happen to me.  I'm sure that when you eventually get round to buying a new computer most of them will disappear for you too.  This is a resource hungry platform made worse by people using too higher resolution textures, using unnecessary scripts or AOs when not needed.  If they won't change or your PC can't handle it then there is little at the moment that LL can do to change that.

As for your final point LL have told us what they are doing in that video and various other resources too if you could spare a minute to look there first rather than a minute venting your spleen here to be redirected there anyway.

I read the link and it had some good points; however, unfortunately for me, he did not address lowering tier costs and the extravagent $1000 start up fee, which is way too much for most people to afford with the troubles in the Eurozone, and the debt ceiling and current tax issues undecided in the US.

I would like to own some land, but it's just way too expensive right now.  Also, if they ever are going to waive the start-up fee again, a little notice time would be helpful so people could try to plan if and when they can afford it.  Announcing a no start-up fee a few days before it appears is not enough time to plan finances/budget. 

I agree about the marketplace,i have been mentioning about that for a long time now,it's LL s way to tax every sale we make and make money from us,which of course they can't do inworld.

But it shows LL has suffered in land sales because of marketplace, who needs to own or rent land anymore when they can have free shop on MP.

It proves the land point when LL had that land sales a couple of weeks ago,dropping the 1000US set up fee.

In  this world economy people can't afford LL s land price monthly tier.

I have a large shop and business is very slow, we never showed in search, i could never find us with my keywords,

I took out a classified ad last week 17000L business was good, and i was on the first or second page in search depending which keyword i searched.

I thought once i dropped the classified i would go back into search oblivion but no i am still on first or second page of search depending what keyword i use.

Untill another world comes along sl will be the top world,but all in all i have very little problem with it myself.

Last week we had a problem, there were islands going offline but it was more than that, i could nt move at times, lag was very bad, rubberbanding ,,vendors in my shop stopped working, LL never did say to what extent the problem was but they seem to have fixed it.

I can only assume LL does nt listen to us because we have so many complaints, much like the occupy people in RL, they have compaints about hundreds of things they don' t like about capitalism,

Maybe we need to have a representitive group to meet with LL to resove our complaints,

LL does need to keep the grid staus page updated and current, i have problems and keep checking that page and never see anything about any problems untill its pretty well fixed, or not at all

Also in that silly sl viewer they need to list the classified ads on the left side of the page in order of price ( like the Phoenix viewer )instead of random order, i would think most people would look at the left side ads with the pictures and choose from that rather than the right side,yes they can click the relevance order option but most people would never think of relevance by price.and why should they,

Those paying big money for a classified ad should be in order top down on the left side, i know the right side is but i would think most would shop from the ad with pictures.

Mayalily wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

I read the link and it had some good points; however, unfortunately for me, he did not address lowering tier costs and the extravagent $1000 start up fee, which is way too much for most people to afford with the troubles in the Eurozone, and the debt ceiling and current tax issues undecided in the US.

I would like to own some land, but it's just way too expensive right now.  Also, if they ever are going to waive the start-up fee again, a little notice time would be helpful so people could try to plan if and when they can afford it.  Announcing a no start-up fee a few days before it appears is not enough time to plan finances/budget. 

Yeah I agree, I said the same when I posted that link elsewhere that it was wrong not to address it in the Q&A.  I think it's one of those things that nearly everbody agrees on that tier pricing as it stands at the moment is doing nobody any favours economically, LL included.  Special offers offering free sims is only good for a few individuals.  The analogy irl would be offering me Buckingham Palace for free.  Could I though afford the upkeep of it?  Not in a million years.

I wish that they would understand that it is easier for people to arrange the money and finance the setup fee than it is to finance the ongoing tax tier that makes buying estates a no go proposition for so many people at the moment.

It would indeed be nice to see a clear strategic plan for this project, a strong ambitious plan that will guide us towards the future.

Strange but I always felt that for some reason LL is ok with the fact that their business survives year after year, and that their staff go about doing their jobs, “as usual”, without a real clue into what is needed to make second life one of the best virtual platforms on the net. Second life has potential but LL doesn't know how to sell their own product to the masses. I do agree though that the tier rates are rather expensive and are partly the reason people are reluctant to join this project in the longer term, the poor customer service is another issue that needs to be addressed asap.

I still hope though that Rodvik and team will be actively participating here on the forum, because I believe there is a bunch of talented residents in here that thanks to their experience can help making second life better!

*meows*

greek Wingtips wrote:

I been in SL for about 3 years now and seen lots of changes, alas I am afraid I feel SL has gone downhill,

LL has pushed Marketplace to a point that now it does not pay to just try and sell from a shop in SL as before, the advertising is not the worth the money is written on you spend so much in $L to advertise but the search viewer just dont work as the old one. 

Many are leaving SL this has to be adressed by LL, the fact we are in a recesssion why don't LL reduce the tiers as help us.

would they prefer us to just close shop and leave or help us make it through these times?

My other Gripe is why don't LL hear what we have to say and adress it , have an open forum with us and lets hear what they have to say about our gripes, 

many of my friends have left SL and although I love it I steering towards that myself, I want LL to adress our problems and be transperent and tell us they are.

Let's face it greek Wingtips, LL is an American corporation, bound by federal law to not take anything into consideration over & above shareholder profit. LL owns the platform, the servers, and they make they rules. LL exercises God-like power over SL. They can ban you or pull the plug altogether and none of us have any recourse. They can change the terms of service, listen or not listen to complaints on their own whim, charge what they like for tier, and there's nothing you can do about it. Nothing, that is, but decline to participate. 

Personally, I like SL and intend to participate in it until I get burnt out on it. However, I'm not about to spend one cent of real money making LL executives & shareholders rich. The whole idea of "owning land," as if binary data is somehow three dimensional, is silly. You don't need to rent server space from corporate pirates in order to participate and you don't need to buy imaginary stuff from other players, either. There are perfectly servicable avatars in the library for free, which you can modify with sliders and outfit with freebie stuff & stuff people gives you. Don't let a corporation take advantage of you by playing on the greed, envy, jealousy and status consciousness that comprise the worst part of what makes us human. Enjoy SL on your own terms, rather than on the terms imposed by the LL Gods. Play for free and have fun!

Jeanne

I've been SL just over 5 years and I don't think it's gone downhill.  I know at the moment there seems to be a problem with avatars taking ages to rez in busy places, but apart from that, SL seems OK to me.

I think what does happen though is that after a while we become a little bit weary of SL, like we've seen everything and done everything.  The world ceases to surprise us because we're aware that almost anything is possible.  But that's no criticism of LL, it's just a part of the process of becomeing a long-term SL resident.

Sy Beck wrote:

Mayalily wrote:

Sy Beck wrote:

Yeah I agree, I said the same when I posted that link elsewhere that it was wrong not to address it in the Q&A.  I think it's one of those things that nearly everbody agrees on that tier pricing as it stands at the moment is doing nobody any favours economically, LL included.  Special offers offering free sims is only good for a few individuals.  The analogy irl would be offering me Buckingham Palace for free.  Could I though afford the upkeep of it?  Not in a million years.

I wish that they would understand that it is easier for people to arrange the money and finance the setup fee than it is to finance the ongoing
tax
tier that makes buying estates a no go proposition for so many people at the moment.

I don't understand why LL hasn't changed with the times, such as making small, medium and large sized islands.  I'd consider a small island before I would consider buying a piece of someone else's island where the original owner of said island sells me a piece of their land for a profit.  I'm not interested in buying or renting a piece of someone else's land at profit.  Now a small island at a reasonable price, I might consider, depending upon the price of a small sized island of course, as there is no pricing for a small island that I know.  I think there are prices for half sims, but who owns the whole sim and what kind of profit are they charging for this half sim?

Small, medium and large sims sound like a good idea to me.  Make them different sizes, and waive the upstart cost or delay the upstart cost for 3-6 months so people can see if they can at least break even. 

I've had to cut my spending on SL way down as the holidays approach, and my tipping is shrinking to not much.  I just don't have the money for all this tipping.  I'm probably going to have to tip in 10 to 20 linden intervals, as that is all I can afford.  It's no reflection on the talent of the entertainer's or the sim itself, there simply is not enough money in this economy for me to spend a lot past our daily household needs while we save and spend a little for the holidays. 

Also, what LL doesn't realize is that people are not taking out lines of credit on their homes because banks are so tight right now that people that bought rl property during the housing bubble years cannot get a refi on their home for less because the banks say that the majority do not qualify for a refi and all that is doing is making people spend less.  Banks are tight right now and it's only going to get tighter as the euro tries to thrive.  Trillions of privatized monies could disappear overnight if the euro collapses, so LL won't be getting a lot of uber-rich people either as trillions in private wealth is on the brink of vanishing.

Anyhow, small or smaller islands, I might consider, if LL realizes what is truly at stake here with the possible and probable collapse of the euro.

You raised a couple of point which I like to adress,

1: yes after being in here for a number of years I sure do know the more you pay for an add the higher you climb, but before

in the days one could see how high and how it it would cost, that seems to have gone? wonder why. or maybe its so one does not know how muct to pay, A sly move by LL's I say. play blind without knowing how high you are, ( think thats no fair)

2: you say 16k people join everyday, hmmmmm wonder how many of them are duplipate Av's to use as fronts for what ever reasons, other who already have Av's and how many actually use them on a regular basis?

Well let LL's be transperent if they have figures on how many are joining lets see figures on how many are leaving?

3: I work in IT and you again speculating that the problems I mentioned with the SL viewer are down to the users PC's

well maybe some are, but for most I sorry you arument does not stand, there are probs with the grid and viewer and the person I know like myself who does run a high spec PC are expreranceing problems, thats no denying, let count you as a fortunate person that had had NP problems

The plans for the future in SecondLife is right in front of us all.  The biggest death marks are not Linden Labs but the free L$ scams that still haunt SL.  One, you do not get much.  Second, one could spend more gettting free L$ than getting any profit.  I will not pick on the names of these services due to LL and the rest of us know who they are.  I strongly believe that some of the free lindens one that allows us to hop all over the grid causes more lag than anything in SL.

The important thing is nothing in life is free that is worth having in the long run.  The L$ one can get by these scams do not give one enough to buy hardly anything worth getting in SL.  One can waist time gettting free L$ that could be used for other things.  It does not promote a business at all.  The ones that are after free L$ are only concerned is getting more free L$.  Once they get it from your club/shop/whatever they leave.

There are more shops full of great stuff to buy.  Education is all over the grid.  Tons colleges and other educational services are using SeclondLife.  Changes have happened, but so has a lot with our moderned technology.  Anyone that is willing to work hard in this 3-D virtual reality can make real life money in it.  A good many have done so.  The number that failed to do so is no different than in the history of America moving west.

Another issue in working in SL is that it is complety different than in conventional life.  As in the 1900s, everyone had to learn to adjust to the industrial age.  Now we are in a new age that I call the technical communication age.  SecondLife is a giant part of it.  In this virtual world, one is not limited to real life.  One can build things without any restraints.  It can float in the air without anything holding it up.  Your shop or whatever is open 24/7.  Anyone can see and interact with it without all the issues that is known in real life.

This is all what LL has given us within SecondLife.  The future is already here.  All we need to do is to imbrace it and be a part of it all.  Yes, SL can lag and have bugs, but so does real life.  SecondLife has far less bugs than real life in any situation one can think.  Where there is a garden, there are weeds to attend.  I can say SL lags a lot less than in the early years.  LL sees the things I have mentioned and more.  That is why they work hard to make it better for all.  The ones that have left mostly have been trolls and trouble makers.  I say good riddance.

As with the first PCs, it was used by a few.  It was more of a hobby that has turned into what we have today.  As technology continues to grow, so will inovations.  SecondLife is one of them.  I could see one day that SL can be a form of an operation system or an operating system itself.  So much can be done in SL than can be done on any web browser today.

I am sure that SL cannot replace real life, but it can make a giant difference in how we live.  We can communicate with so many around the world.  I know I have.  I have done more in life in SL than I could ever do before.  I could go on and on telling about all that can be done in this wonderful world, but it must be experienced.  Believe it or not, all that one can experience has been designed by individuals like you and me.  Linden Labs simply enjoys all that has been created in SecondLife with the rest of us.

>>...the free L$ scams that still haunt SL.  One, you do not get much.  Second, one could spend more gettting free L$ than getting any profit.<<

I agree. I've seen bunches of avatars standing around those chairs with letters on them, just waiting for the letter their names start with come up. What a waste of time! There's so much fun stuff to do in SL that I can't believe people are willing to just hang around & wait like that, just for a few $L or some cheap freebie. I'll hang out in a club that gives free $L just for being there, but only if I like the music. (Actually, if I don't like the music I'll just stream better music over Winamp.) I'm not going to put up with anything I don't like, just in order to gain a few $L. I can have too much fun in SL for free, to put up with any boredom in exchange for $L.

>>The important thing is nothing in life is free that is worth having in the long run.<<

You're kidding about this, aren't you Master Jedi? Love is free. Oxygen, sunlight, water and much food, if you forage for it or grow it yourself, is free. Fire is free. I can't believe you're serious. If you are, I'd say that you have things exactly backwards. Everything in life that is worth having, in the short and long terms, is absolutely free. In fact, I would say that  how much something costs and how worth having it is, are totally negatively correlated.

>>The number that failed to do so is no different than in the history of America moving west.<<

The history of America moving West is the history of genocide of the Native Americans. You seem to regard this history as being a good thing, or at least justifiable or to be expected; as if entire Nations had to die in order for a few invaders to make money. Surely this isn't your intention. If not, you really choose a poor metaphor for whatever it is you're saying.

>>One can build things without any restraints.<<

Prim limits aren't restraints? Not being able to afford to rent server space from LL in order to store the code for the stuff you "build" isn't a restraint?

>> Linden Labs simply enjoys all that has been created in SecondLife with the rest of us.<<

Linden Labs goes beyond simply exploiting content creators, by profiting more from that content than its creators do, to superexploiting them by inducing them to pay for creating content, rather than being paid for their work. You seem to applaud this superexploitation, even revel in it. I'm not sure what to make of this. Would you pay me to be allowed to come to my house and build stuff for me? That is what you do when you pay LL to upload the content you create and pay tier in order to have a "place" to put it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.