Videographer didn't show for wedding but was paid upfront

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help with this please?  

I paid a videographer (someone who is well known and respected in the field) 12,000L$ upfront to video my wedding and do timed screen shots - along with that there would have been a photographic album.

I had sent, in several ims, the date, time, place etc and even sent a wedding invite - so there was no confusion over getting dates wrong.  I even spoke to him a couple of days before and double checked everything.

On the day of the wedding he didn't show up.  The wedding was held up half an hour while we waited for him.  He just didn't turn up.

Luckily one of the guests is a photographer in SL and he stepped in and saved the day.  He couldn't do a video, which I'd set my heart on, but  he took pics and everything turned out fine, but, I paid the original photographer that we'd booked, a lot of money for this event.  And it's not just about the money (although I don't like the idea of this guy getting away with it). This was a big occasion for us and he just didn't turn up.

I sent him a message expressing my disappointment. I asked him to pay me the money back as a matter of urgency.

He came online and said, 'Crap - had no internet since Sunday.' and went offline shortly after.

I'll give him a week to pay me back, but should he not, where would I take this?  Does anyone have any suggestions please?

I've looked on SL's T&Cs, but nothing seems quite appropriate.

Thanks in advance

CC

Thank you all.  I had a feeling that's what you'd say.

He did say that full amount was due, upfront at the time of the booking, and because of his 'so called' good name, I figured I'd be safe.

I actually paid him 19,500L$ as he did a calendar for me as a gift to my new hubby.  During that time I found him unreliable and it was hard to get him to respond.  I couldn't get him to arrange times for sittings often found myself hanging around in case he called for me. The calendar was completed to my satisfaction, but the whole experience felt uncomfortable and rushed.  Warning bells were resounding in my head during that period, but I'd paid the whole amount upfront.

I have been courteous with him throughout.  Always polite, as that is my nature, and even when he let us down badly, I was still polite, but firm.

You know, he hasn't even apologised...

Anyway, thank you all again for your help and advise.

CC

If it's any consolation, sooner or later we are all likely to be out some considerable sum of money in SL. It is always a shock the first time an honest person realizes how easily dishonest people in SL can and will steal -- and there are no consequences for it. 

Yes it's true.  LL will not get involved in transaction in between residents.  Section 6 of the TOS says

"You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user."

Section 9

"You agree not to hold Linden Lab liable for the Content, actions, or inactions of other users. As a condition of access to the Service, you release Linden Lab (and its officers, directors, shareholders, agents, subsidiaries and employees) from claims, demands, losses, liabilities and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with any dispute you have or claim to have with one or more users, including whether or not Linden Lab becomes involved in any resolution or attempted resolution of the dispute."

[Killed all the Persians I can for now (without losing too many of my soldiers) and waiting for a raid.]

As a resident since 2009, you should be well aware of this. Unless you've never familiarized yourself with the TOS which is thrown up at you upon login (with every TOS change, etc.) which, considering your conduct on the forums since you first registered here wouldn't be all that surprising...

=======================

You acknowledge that you will be exposed to various aspects of the Service involving the conduct, Content, and services of users, and that Linden Lab does not control and is not responsible or liable for the quality, safety, legality, truthfulness or accuracy of any such user conduct, User Content or user services. You acknowledge that Linden Lab does not guarantee the accuracy of information submitted by any user of the Service, nor any identity information about any user. Your interactions with other users and your use of User Content are entirely at your own risk. Linden Lab has no obligation to become involved in any dispute that you may have or claim to have with one or more users of the Service, or in any manner in any resolution thereof.

You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. We are not responsible or liable for the conduct or content of any user. We reserve the right, but not the obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users.

=======================

Now, you might say that it doesn't say that LL won't get involved, that instead it says that they're under no obligation to. But past experiences of residents (you know, people that have actually logged in to SL and spent any time there) who don't have overblown senses of self-worth and entitlement teaches them to read between the lines.

I wouldn't pay any attention to the Devan Miami account. It seems to have been created yesterday to stalk and spam the posts of a regular forum participant. Those 50 some posts were deleted, then it trolled some more before it switched to another account (Malinda something or other). If it goes after this post of mine, just pat it on the head or ignore it.

Hehe, It crossed my mind, but to be honest, it was such a lot of work to make it magical.  Even though he didn't show up, we still had a fantastic wedding. Not sure I could do will all the stress again.  Plus, we got a fantastic turnout, I don't know that ppl would do that again.  We were there for 4 hours partying. It was such a night!!! :-)

If this thing happened to me I WILL POST THE NAME OF THAT DELINGQUIENT VIDEOGRAPHER. I dont care if I'll get banned from this forum because of the TOS.  You have no option but to accept this dude's unprofessoinality and lack of work ethics and a being a thug. But again you can warn other possible victims to avoid this person. 51usd is 51usd and he should give it back to you in common sense. 

It is easy to make excuses about the internet cos hell yes it really happens but running away with you cash is not acceptable at all.

I have been thinking of ways in which I can deal with this.  I have some plans up my sleeve in the event.  I just hope he's a moral guy and gives the money back.  I need to give him some time to begin with. I'm a reasonable person.

So far, not heard another thing from him. 

:-)

I've always been a firm believer in being nice to ppl.  It really goes further than choosing to be rude.  

It all turned out well in the end.  We're expecting some great pics, based on the teasers we've seen so far, so it was a blessing in disguise.

Thank you to everyone for your help and advise on this...even if it was advise I didn't like lol

Every cloud has a silver lining - I got mine :-)

TC all

x

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.