Very strange phenomenon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I wandered up Highway 9 from my home and beside the road was a female avatar sitting cross-legged on the ground.  I didn't think any more about it but today I went for a longer run up the same road and the woman was still there, sitting cross-legged on the ground.  A few sims further up the road was another similar woman, also sitting cross-legged on the ground. Both had exactly the same appearances - with their normal 'skin' on their bodies but missing from their faces, replaced by default system skin, coloured dark brown.  I looked at their profiles and although they obviously had different names, their details were much the same and so were their profile pictures and they both joined around the same time.  I tried speaking to one of the avatars but I was not surprised that they didn't reply!

I'm familiar with ghosted or frozen avatars - but two, obviously created by the same RL person, both trapped cross-legged beside the same highway, about 2 km apart - that seems odd.

Just a wild guess:  Maybe those two sims are on different server release channels, and the avatars are function bots (group-inviters or whatever), doubled for redundancy when one or the other channel is being updated.  Assuming the bot owner doesn't have land of their own on which to plant bots.

If they really are ghosted avatars, they might offer some clue as to what causes that problem.  If something about the connection triggers ghosting, then perhaps it's not surprising to get multiple ghosts from the same network connection path.

They are definitely bots. I often see on the Linden highways, or dotted around the Linden oceans these types of bots. They sit them so they can't be griefed so easily. The ones I see are either advertising a venue, a store, or a zyngo club. And also land bots still can be found at sim edges, hovering in skies, randomly placed in linden oceans.

Also, people play Tiny Empires and dot avatars all around in a similar way.

Absolutely definitely they are not ghosted avatars. The issue(s) that caused stuck presences was finally fixed by the rollouts/deploys of 6th March (thanks to Oskar and crew).

no... they aren't stuck.... they've just found convenient sports to run their bot programming... ground sits prevent most residents from affecting them in any meaningful way, thus letting them do whatever it is they are programmed to do... whether its scanning nearby avatars, spamming groups or whetever else they might be set up to do (helpful or nefarious)

why there? because most people have a tendency to boot bots off their land, mainly because they aren't adding anything to that persons venue and could be there for less than desirable reasons (there's no way to tell). they are spread out in remote locations in the hopes that they won't be reported or interfered with... which just makes me report them all the more =)

Void Singer wrote: they are spread out in remote locations in the hopes that they won't be reported or interfered with... which just makes me report them all the more =)

How can I tell of a certainty that they are bots outside if the behavior described here and what category do you report them under?

Perrie Juran wrote:

How can I tell of a certainty that they are bots outside if the behavior described here and what category do you report them under?

honestly, you can't tell with a certainty, although the case in point above is pretty obviously cut from a very common pattern that fits...

if it's more than 50% certainty to my mind I use "unfair use of region resources", and if not, I use "other" or don't bother.

if they're on land I have powers on I will generally do a test IM and/or a test eject... no response in 10 minutes and I ban them as a bot. not because I have a problem with bots, but because they are chewing up resources, and didn't even have the courtesy to say "hey mind if I stick this bot here for a few hours?"

ETA:

phoenix really helps here as you can see the viewer tag, and the lookat targets. no tags/target and idle behavior is often a bot or chat client, but occasionally someone sorting inventory.

• 5 weeks later...

If they 'fix' sim crossing and it is almost seamless to go along a route...well, you can imagine them wondering the roads trying to 'act natural' so they don't get busted lol. They might be dressed up in running gear, faking chat with each other. They would have one of those random spam garbage sentence making programs to keep them all going on and on, lagging the chat thingy.

I see the forum money exchangers are spamming again. /me thinks of biblical beatings at temples and laughs at bots as the new hated and insulting ones. "he who is without automation cast the first ban!" is not a line I expect to hear about them from any kind of 'messiah script' that might somehow save us forever and help us overcome spam bots.

Void Singer wrote:

why there? because most people have a tendency to boot bots off their land, mainly because they aren't adding anything to that persons venue and could be there for less than desirable reasons (there's no way to tell). they are spread out in remote locations in the hopes that they won't be reported or interfered with... which just makes me report them all the more =)

Report them? Why? If they are not influencing a parcel's traffic count, they are doing nothing wrong so what can they be reported for?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Am I the only one thinking of the legions of demonic coyotes lined up on the side of the desert road with the dead eyes in that Stephen King book "Desperation" right now? Or that episode of the Twilight Zone with the department store elevator where the people working on the first floor were all mannequins from the top floor?

/me knows terror, and he's under my bed AS I SPEAK.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm right behind you, Void. I've been whizzing around the grid this morning, locating the *movie stars*, and body count currently stands at 30 ... and counting.  If they were being legitimately used to monitor something, then the owner of them could be transparent and honest about that and write that on their profile.  (Maybe by making them all look like attractive girls in RL the owner is monitoring how many get marriage proposals, or proposals for sex!) Or maybe they are just cloning all the useful stuff on the sim. Whatever they are, they're providing photo opportunities and story ideas over on the curioser and curioser thread!  Would like to know what they are doing though. (Might belong to Phil - he defends bots a lot.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4646 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.