Ven Diagram Experiences

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1st - please please please don't move this to the hidden experience tools forum.

Now, I am once again confused.   There are (or may eventually be... idk) several different... categories(?) of experiences.  I say this based on the viewer dialogs for land parcels and region/estate.

The list:

• Resident Experiences
  • Land-Scope Experiences
  • Key Experiences
  • Grid-Scope Experiences

Could someone ven-diagram those for me?  I pretty sure Land-Scope and Grid-Scope don't intersect.  Also, there might be something like... Non-Resident Experiences.  Maybe that should be Linden Experiences.

Why would I ever need to block a Resident Experience from my parcel?  Because I'm thinking if there isn't a Land-Scope Experience allowed where would some other Resident Experience come from.  Suggesting that there are allowed experiences that wouldn't be listed in my list of allowed experiences.  I know I can block up to 24 of these.  I'm just puzzled for now about how I would know what I might block.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I love Venn Diagrams but have no experience of Experiences. No intersect.
:(
(My understanding is they're largely a Premium feature right now?)

If you have a link that explains the relationships I will read (am happy to Google but what is authoritative) and almost certainly make pretty pictures.

Yes, the Venn Diagram can be so enlightening and also beatiful.  I'm imaging a circle for current categories, another for  futures.  If anyone knows.  Maybe a circle for existence-unknown.

I wish I could find a link that explains the relationships.   I have this:

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Experiences-in-Second-Life/ta-p/2744686

Which does mention blocking an experience by an individual.  It's not clear to me which categories of experience are blockable by an individual.  Nothing about blocking at parcel or estate.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

It's not clear to me which categories of experience are blockable by an individual.  Nothing about blocking at parcel or estate.

Firstly, yes of course Experiences can be blocked (as well as explicitly allowed) at both the parcel and estate level -- that's why there are "Experiences" tabs in About Land and Region/Estate dialogs. (So maybe you were just commenting on the documentation.)

I think you already understand from the documentation that Experiences can have either Land or Grid scope, and what those mean. I'm pretty sure that, like Individuals, Parcels and Estates can Block or Allow both Land and Grid scope Experiences.

Probably there are certain special Experiences supplied by Lindens, which I suppose is why the documentation refers to "Resident" Experiences, as distinct from those special ones. FWIW, I seem to be able to Allow or Block both the Lindens' "Cornfield" and "PQ2015" for Paleoquest, both by Parcel and by Individual. But Linden Realms is different, the profile states "This experience is enabled for all residents" and it doesn't seem to be available to choose for Allowing or Blocking it on a parcel.

I only find one other link -- the Viewer Help text -- about "Key Experiences" for Estates (only). Forums Search within the Experience beta forum doesn't return any hits either. It's a bit of a guess, but from that it seems likely that either Land scope or Grid scope experiences can be designated by an Estate manager to be "Key" -- making participation in that Experience a sort of "golden ticket" to the sim, regardless of group membership. (I can see how this functionality could be generally useful, so it's interesting that it's bundled-in with the whole Experiences thing.) The Linden Experience sims (Paleoquest, Linden Realms) seem to use this to prevent entry by anybody who hasn't first granted the Experience permissions when entering through Portal Park. 

Hence, I'm pretty sure that "Key" isn't a category of Experience at all, but a usage, same as "Blocked" or "Allowed." Experimenting with those lists, it appears they are enforced as mutually exclusive (disjoint circles in your Venn diagram).

(There's a "Social Island" Experience listed as Key to the Premium Sandboxes Estate that "Grid Hunt" uses, but it seems unsearchable, like Linden Realms.)

Thanks, and thanks to Qie also.

I've done some preliminary placement of what sounds right, based on the sources in this thread + the Experiences sub-forum.

Please give feedback/ask me to improve it, as I realised last night that my viewer doesn't even support Experiences and am kinda ??? about the whole thing.

ETA: Alternate 'stratified' view WITH EXTRA COLOURS:-

I will remove this if proven inadequate so as not to add to the existing level of confusion - and ideally replace it with an updated/correct model. Usage rights for all images I post in this thread are CC0.

HTH!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.