Vanishing discussions

ChinRey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anybody happen to know what could cause a long and elaborate discussion that was rather hefty but appeared to be well within the TOS and other rules for this forum to just vanish all of a sudden?

Just to avoid a possible misunderstanding: This has absolutely nothing to do with anything that might have happened on the forum right now. It's purely a general, hypotetical, theoretical question. I would just hate to spend time and effort writing a long reply only to see it vanish after a few hours so it would be nice to have some guidelines which discussions we should avoid wasting time on.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I find it helpful to believe that, contrary to the evidence, my posts are read and appreciated. So long as you believe this, it doesn't matter if they vanish the moment you post them.

Faith is a wonderful thing.

An affirmation: I too appreciate your posts, Maddy, especially the ones that vanish the moment you post them.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I find it helpful to believe that, contrary to the evidence, my posts are read and appreciated. So long as you believe this, it doesn't matter if they vanish the moment you post them.

Faith is a wonderful thing.

An affirmation: I too appreciate your posts, Maddy, especially the ones that vanish the moment you post them.

ChinRey wrote:

I find it helpful to believe that, contrary to the evidence, my posts are read and appreciated.

Aww, Madelaine, I 
always
 appreciate your posts!
:)

What would I do without you two?

While my discussion from a couple of days ago wasn't removed. I had four posts to that discussion disappear yesterday. These were all mesh upload and physics posts so nothing very TOS related *wink*.  This was all during a few hour timespan as I was testing and even the redo of a missing post disappeared. I assumed that there were issues with the forum database. 

On a serious note, I have received inworld replies to my posts here before, sometimes from people who wanted to discuss matters in more detail than what is possible here, sometimes from people uncomfortable with forum posting in general. I have never before got an IM from somebody who flatly stated they didn't dare post what they wanted to say on the forum.

I do actually agree with Pamela and Bobbie that any threads that may have mysteriously disappeared from the forum recently were relatively trivial. The general principle however, isn't.

I have decided to report this thread to the moderators myself, asking them to clarify. They may of course decide to delete the thres but that's ok. Madelaine now knows how much we all love her - as if there were ever any doubt. ^_^

Threads get deleted when there is obvious reference to; i) moderation practises eg freedom of speech, or ii) the exercise of POOP becomes glaringly obvious so as not to be able to dismiss it as harmless, eg "If you don't like it get the f*&^ ou!", or iii) the agents of POOP have succeeded in having the offending ideas suppressed.

I wouldn't expect a response to your query but that is just my experience, so take that fwiw.

You shouldn't want to attract too much attention to yourself.

ChinRey wrote:

Does anybody happen to know what could cause a long and elaborate discussion.........?

....I believe they rarely ever get started around here anymore.  More often than not the General "discussion" format gets hijacked by a multitude of complaints, help me's, and "what happened to my stuffs" threads..

Solaria Goldshark wrote:

ChinRey wrote:

Does anybody happen to know what could cause a long and elaborate discussion.........?

....I believe they rarely ever get started around here anymore.  More often than not the General "discussion" format gets hijacked by a multitude of complaints, help me's, and "what happened to my stuffs" threads..

That's what makes it all the more egregious that when an interesting one does arise, it disappears. 

Chic Aeon wrote:

While my discussion from a couple of days ago wasn't removed. I had four posts to that discussion disappear yesterday. These were all mesh upload and physics posts so nothing very TOS related *wink*.

You never know. ;)

Chic Aeon wrote:

I assumed that there were issues with the forum database. 

In your case, yes probably. I had something similar happen to a post long ago. Somebody asked how to make the symbol so I posted a link to unicode-table.com. That post was gone within a few hours and I can't for my life imagine it could have possibly offended anybody, esepcially since somebody else posted the same link later in the same thread.

Gadget Portal wrote:

I suspect someone got upset and reported one of the posts, which almost inevitably gets the whole thread deleted instead of the specifically reported post...

Hmmmm, you mean anybody can provoke the takedown of a whole thread simply by posting a single offensive reply in it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.