Vampires In The Forums, A Possible Explanation

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Or possibly someone at LL has reasoned that some of the many fans of series like True Blood and Twilight might be intrigued at the possibility of engaging in vampire RP in SL and will come and sign up and give it a shot, and has also reasoned that it will not cost LL anything to publicise this opportunity by means of Facebook?

They're sharing the same links on their main Twitter feed.

Last night, I was at a Gothic clothing store with a friend (I'm the one that wears the Gothic clothing, not he) who pays little to no attention to the Forums, and I mentioned the new vamp sub-Forum and pointed out that there are no sub-Forums for Furries, BDSM lifestylers, etc. His response was "Well, vampires are mainstream. They're popular, with movies and TV shows and books and..."

So, yeah, I'm kinda thinking like Innula that it's an attempt to draw in some of those vamp fans. Nothing wrong with that, I guess. Do I think it needs its own sub-Forum? No, but that's just me.

@Storm: There are a lot of vampires that don't play those silly vampire games.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I agree Innula.  But I look back at some older threads on Vampires and it is the general consensus and the advise to newer residents to: "NOT ACCEPT BITE REQUESTS." 

Why is that?

Given the vocal and rabid dislike of Vampires by the general population one would have to be a masochist to join SL to play one.  Or would that be part of the RP?

But I am worried about you Storm.  Did you get bit?  A redundancy and a grammatical error in one sentence!  I've never seen this from you before.

Storm Clarence wrote:

I agree Innula.  But I look back at some older threads on Vampires and it is the general consensus and the advise to newer residents to: "NOT ACCEPT BITE REQUESTS." 

Why is that?

You would have to ask the people giving that advice, I guess, but perhaps the idea was to discourage spampires from making a nuisance of themselves by pestering people with unsolicited requests to bite them.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

@Storm: There are a lot of vampires that
don't
play those
silly vampire games

I'm pretty sure this is just me, but I read that and immediately thought of vampire reindeer.

The very weird reference is the lyric: All of the other reindeer used to laugh and call him names. They never let poor Rudolph join in any reindeer games

/me puts a call in to my MD to see about getting my meds adjusted

vampire_reindeer_buttons.png

PS. OMG. You can find vampire reindeer images on Google.

PPS: LoL about vampires being "mainstream" now. I know what you mean, and your friend meant, and agree, but LoL.

PPPS: And yes, I do think SL is courting the Twilight & FB crowd.

I don't think it's a rabid dislike of the vampire genre, but more of a rabid dislike of a certain spammy pyramid scheme game that abuses the genre. I do think we've gotten to a point of saturation with it, so many people look at it in general as "old hat", especially with all the popular hangers on, it's lost most of it's uniqueness and creativity.

@Storms question,
I'd guess that discouragement of spam is probably the base reason behind that suggestion. to quote the sentiments found in one persons profile "if you have to ask, you aren't a vampire". people don't like to be randomly dragged into games they aren't playing

I do agree with OP that it's probably a marketing thing.... the vamp genre is so popular it's passe at this point.... and yet I do think it's rather silly not to promote other fandoms... heavens know there's plenty to go around... and I don't think that any of the misinformation associated with any of the others is much worse than the sexual connotations involved in vamp mythology.

Void Singer wrote:

I don't think it's a rabid dislike of the vampire genre, but more of a rabid dislike of a certain spammy pyramid scheme game that abuses the genre. I do think we've gotten to a point of saturation with it, so many people look at it in general as "old hat", especially with all the popular hangers on, it's lost most of it's uniqueness and creativity.

i agree..it's really not what it used to be..there used to be some very amazing vamp places on the grid..

and the ones i had met that were the older RP style..they really had a lot of depth to a lot of their roles..

it was a big deal to get bitten or turned..you didn't just walk into a vamp sim and expect a bunch of bite requests..

to be turned was something that in some of those families had to be requested and permission given..one person i knew had been given permission to turn someone then they ended up having to wait a week because that was the date they were given..i guess they had a whole ceremony and everything for it..

i used to love going to some of those sims when they would open up the club to people..

one night this one had asked me to dance and the whole time we were talking i was just asking all these questions about it..

i was soaking it up like a sponge..he was telling me about every ones history and how important the blood meant as to stations and who was older and purest blood..then the oldest two had showed up which were married..by that time i was immersed in the information..

when those two had gotten there i felt like royalty had showed up..

everyone was dressed beautifully like something out of interview with a vampire..

i didn't want to be one myself..but i just loved hearing people talk about their clans or families..

that and just some of the amazing builds ..

i always thought it would have been neat if someone ever did a club that was based on something like from blade..where you show up and after awhile the doors just lock and  things just get crazy LOL

My impression, for what it's worth, is that there's still a lot of serious vampire RP, including Bloodlines, but it's mostly confined -- understandably -- to vampire and lycan sims.   So most of us don't get to see much of it.    I'm not into vampire stuff, particularly, except I spend too much at  Avid, but my business partner makes a lot of vampire and lycan anims, so I get to talk to the customers sometimes.    Certainly they seem to spend most of their time in SL doing vampire and lycan stuff on their own sims, and not really interacting that much with the rest of us, at least not as vampires and lycans.    And when I do go to the vampire sims, they seem pretty impressive places.

I don't think the serious vampire role players have much time for vamps who hang around Ahern and Waterhead hassling new residents and generally making a nuisance of themselves, and I think such behaviour is now as atypical of vampires as is similarly irritating conduct at such places by non-vampires atypical of most non-vampire residents.    Certainly the vampire clans generally seem to have taken on board the wholly justified criticism of "spampires" and "mosquitoes" a couple of years ago.   

Innula Zenovka wrote:

My impression, for what it's worth, is that there's still a lot of serious vampire RP, including Bloodlines, but it's mostly confined -- understandably -- to vampire and lycan sims.   So most of us don't get to see much of it.    I'm not into vampire stuff, particularly, except I spend too much at  Avid, but my business partner makes a lot of vampire and lycan anims, so I get to talk to the customers sometimes.    Certainly they seem to spend most of their time in SL doing vampire and lycan stuff on their own sims, and not really interacting that much with the rest of us, at least not as vampires and lycans.    And when I do go to the vampire sims, they seem pretty impressive places.

I don't think the serious vampire role players have much time for vamps who hang around Ahern and Waterhead hassling new residents and generally making a nuisance of themselves, and I think such behaviour is now as atypical of vampires as is similarly irritating conduct at such places by non-vampires atypical of most non-vampire residents.    Certainly the vampire clans generally seem to have taken on board the wholly justified criticism of "spampires" and "mosquitoes" a couple of years ago.   

i'm sure there are some still around..and i'm sure they had their share of lammers back then also hehehe..but i remember when you could just type in vamp and loads of places would pop up with some of the most amazing builds..

although to be fair..it's been a little while since i have done a search like that..

this one place that is etched into my brain forever..all but the name of it hehehe

i remember this huge cave that was the size of a whole sim..maybe even bigger..it had 3 chambers in it..one was a place for sleeping and one was what looked like a ritual place..and some other room which i couldn't get into..the doors were huge..the whole big part of the cave was a dock and water..

i never went outside of the cave..but i believe it was just one sim to an estate of others..i wish i would have  went out and seen the rest..

Void Singer wrote:

I don't think it's a rabid dislike of the vampire genre,
but more of a rabid dislike of a certain spammy pyramid scheme game that abuses the genre
. I do think we've gotten to a point of saturation with it, so many people look at it in general as "old hat", especially with all the popular hangers on, it's lost most of it's uniqueness and creativity.

@Storms question,

I'd guess that discouragement of spam is probably the base reason behind that suggestion. to quote the sentiments found in one persons profile "if you
have
to ask, you aren't a vampire". people don't like to be randomly dragged into games they aren't playing

I do agree with OP that it's probably a marketing thing.... the vamp genre is so popular it's passe at this point.... and yet I do think it's rather silly not to promote other fandoms... heavens know there's plenty to go around... and I don't think that any of the misinformation associated with any of the others is much worse than the sexual connotations involved in vamp mythology.

I should have been more specific.  It is the spammy unsolicited & unwanted biting that I was referring too.

In the course of an hour at a dance I had the same girl ask me FOUR times if I'd like to be a blood doll.  She stopped after I offered to be a sperm donor.  I guess there are some things some vampresses won't suck.

Void Singer wrote:

I know the region you are talking about... it was one of the premier vamp regions back in the day.....and had been through several incarnations... if you figure out the name maybe you can post it... I doubt I still have a landmark for it.

oh i really wish i could remember the name of it..that had to be like 2007 i believe since the last time i had seen it..i doubt i will ever remember the name of it..=(

but maybe something will jar it loose..i think i have some pic's from around that time..i'll see if i took any while i was there..

Innula Zenovka wrote:

Was it Eternally Damned?  That was one of the leading vamp regions back in the day, certainly, and, while I remember going to some great parties there, I know they went in for really serious RP.

it could be ..it's just too hard to remember it by name..since that time i have seen so many different vamp names and flood of vamp things in the media and movies and all that..it's probably covered in the flood of other names..

it was one of those places that you get so caught up in the beauty of the whole place that you forget to record it's name..

i remember walking into the sleeping area and feeling like i was in lost boyz ..it reminded me of the part where they were waking up and the two guys were crawling out as fast as they could with vamps right behind them hehehehe..

then the ritual chamber was really wild..it was like you just missed them having one..this alter was all bloody and it just had this feeling that if you showed up a couple of minutes earlier it may have been bad luck..hehehe

i was walking around and remember being all tense too like i was hoping i didn't hit some wake up call or something that triggers them all...hehehehehe

the whole place was empty..but wow it was really a scary and intense kind of empty..

i know i would have screamed really loud if someone would have showed up or my IM's would have dinged  while i was in there..

lol

it probably would have went something like the last lady in this video ..just pure panic lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.