Upgrading my computer's stuff to run SL better??

Sae Luan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I purchased a new computer because my old computer was shot.  My ex husband had built that computer specifically to run SL like a dream.  Over the years, it wasn't running SL so good, but one day it just crapped out.  I didn't have a lot of money saved, so I had to go to Best Buy and get something I could afford.

The computer I got runs SL after a power supply upgrade, but it's not that great.  When I'm around a lot of particles or moving textures, my frame rate drops to like nothing.  I crash around too many sculpties (this sucks since I create sculpties a lot..).  I cannot even use shadows.  I'd like to be able to get back my dream SL where I can run it with no issues.  SO I need someone on here that is computer savvy to tell me what I can purchase and upgrade in my computer so that SL will run awesome.  I've come into a good deal of money recently and would like to make a few upgrades, I just don't know what I should do. 

Here's my system specs-

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.110622-1503)         

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard       

System Model: p6744y               

BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/12/10 11:36:37 Ver: 6.05         

Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E5800  @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz           

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM         

Page File: 1909MB used, 6279MB available       

Windows Dir: C:\Windows   

DirectX Version: DirectX 11DX Setup Parameters: Not found   

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)   

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

Display Devices---------------         

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT       

Manufacturer: NVIDIA         

Chip type: GeForce 9400 GT           

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC         

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0641&SUBSYS_82BE1043&REV_A1   

Display Memory: 2797 MB   

Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB     

Shared Memory: 1791 MB       

Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)       

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor 

Monitor Model: Acer P215H

Sorry if that was too much info or not enough.  Either way, let me know what you think I can do to run SL GOOD.  If you need more info, please let me know!!  Thank you!

you shouldnt have any problems with that computer to run SL, you have more than what is needed to run it good:

Processor: Pentium® Dual-Core  CPU      E5800  @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

Display Memory: 2797 MB

it may be a configuration issue.

try downloading the video drivers directly from nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-280.26-whql-driver.html, when the computers are new, they usually use the Microsoft drivers, they are not so good for running 3D.

To expand on Canoro's excellent comment a little.  The GT 9400 card is not a new card.  It was released a couple years ago as an entry level gaming card (it's under powered for high level games but adequate for mid to high graphics preferences in SL).  The driver that came installed for that card are almost guaranteed to be several revisions older than the current driver revision......upgrading to the most current is very definitely in order.  When you go to find the driver for that card at the nVidia driver download site (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) you might have to look in the "Archive, Beta driver section since nVidia typically places those drivers there after the card series is 3 or 4 series back from the current).

One other thing about the card.  I don't believe the card ever came out with 2 gigs of video RAM (which is what the specs you listed imply).  It probably has 512 megs on board VRAM and the rest of the video RAM shown on your specs are coming from your system RAM (shared RAM).  You're running 4 gigs of system RAM on a 64 bit operatiing system..........you can get more RAM pretty cheaply at Best Buy (I just bought 8 gigs a few weeks ago for under $150).  The will help a lot for your speed of rendering your graphics (an operating system will never give your video memory unless it can afford to.......if the system needs the RAM it will keep it and let the video suffer).  You can never have too much RAM.

The rest of your system is more than adequate for good performance.  You probably won't be satisfied with anything above high in your preferences..........shadows are going to give you huge problems and mesh may give you some problems too.

That's my opinions on your new computer.  It's good enough but not as good as can be had.  For the price, it appears to be a good deal as long as you don't expect too much from it.

The specs you quoted suggest you have the 1024MB version of the 9400 GT

Upgrading to a newer graphics card would certainly help and there's a lot out there at around USD100 that would give a significant boost. Unfortunately it might not be so simple. The spec sheet for the HP p6744y says it only has a wimpy 250W PSU. Rather worrying, as the 9400 GT recommends a 300W minimum. That could be your problem right there - the system might be running underpowered. It sounds like the graphics card has been added as an upgrade; the standard p6744y had integrated graphics.

Upgrading system RAM is also possible, but might have an issue of its own: the motherboard you have has only 2 slots, both likely to be full. So you'd probably have to buy the full 8MB in two 4MB sticks, rather than just add to what you have. 

ETA: I just read that you've already had the PSU upgraded (doh!). Assuming it's powerful enough, a better graphics card might be the best step, if sorting out the drivers doesn't improve things for you.

Depends on where you are and what you have to spend. For around USD100 there are a load of cards that would bury your 9400GT. Cards like an NVIDIA GT450 1GB or the top-end version of the GT260 are looking good value these days. I'm sure you'll get plenty of recommendations from around the forum by people who've bought at the same level recently.

Any card with the second number in the model number 5 or above and a letter designation of GTS or GTX will give you the ability or run SL at high (possibly even ultra with some texture lag).  That also hinges on your power supply upgrade being to a PS of 400 watts or above (perferably 500 or 600 watt.........but I doubt Best Buy would go much more than the bare minium to get by with the GT 9400 you have now).  The higher the second digit in the model number the higher performing the card is.  The first number is really just the series of the card and has little to do with performance (though over several series it will indidcate some performance improvement).  If you can find a card in the series 200 and above with the second number greater than 5 (the higher the better) that is in your budget, then go for it..........as long as your power supply is 500 watts or more.  If you can find a GTX 9800 card (they are also about 2 years old) those are very good..........but they are rare for new ones (and I'd stay away from refurbished graphics cards).  They tend to run a little hotter than the 100 and above series but not too much. 

I can see you getting a much better card for way less than that $200 limit.........even with a PS upgrade if you are careful.

Updating the drivers on my graphics card makes SL seem to run much smoother, though now when I try to see shadows, my entire SL screen goes black except the UI and HUD items.  Before, I could do shadows, it was just so laggy it would crash  me nearly immediate..

Ill be looking into that suggestion thanks.

And by the way, I THOUGHT they upgraded my psu bc I asked them to, but we just opened my computer up and saw that the power supply still reads 250 watt, which really pisses me off. We paid them for a new psu and graphics card but just seems they put in the graphics card! We didn't have best buy do it.. We had taken it to some mom n pop computer place because the works and parts were cheaper there.

The 9400 GT has a minimum PS requirement of 350 watts sustained.........there's a huge difference in sustained and peak (and what you are most likely reading on that power supply placard is peak).  If you cannot find the sustained wattage (most of the cheaper PS's only give peak, by the way) increase the wattage by about 100 watts to arrive at a safe sustained wattage output.  So, useing that as a guide you need a 450 watt power supply (or a 350 sustained wattage output PS) to safely run your 9400 GT card in your computer.  Failing to have a PS capable of running your card and system without power supply overload can (and often does) lead to the PS failing.  That's fine if the PS fails when it's idling (well you can't get your computer to start, but it doesn't damage anything besides the power supply itself).  But that very rarely happens.........the power supplies will typically fail under heavy load.  And when that happens other components and devices are subject to damage or destruction..........such as motherboards, video card, Ethernet card, sound cards (anything connected to the motherboard in the computer).  Take the computer back to that Mom and Pop shop and demand a power supply that is, at least, the minimum recommended wattage (make sure the wattage rating is sustained if they opt for a 350 watt).  And since they tried to rip you off I would further demand a 550 watt sustained (or 650 watt peak) power supply so I could upgrade my video card further.........it was their mistake to try to pull the wool over your eyes so I would use that to my advantage.

The other way is go and demand your money back and leave.  Go to Best Buy and get a 650 watt PS (around $80) and put is in myself........it's easy to do.  Just take the old one out but don't disconnect any cables and set it on top of the case.  Then take your new PS and place in it the mount inside the case and one by one take each cable and transfer them to the motherboard (the cables are labeled and the connectors will not connect in the wrong spot or backward..........anyone can do it.  Really, it's that easy.

The 250 watt PS with the 9400 card is probably not causing your problems but it might......test it before you go out and  shop for a new card.  I don't believe you're going to be satisfied with a card below a x5xx model..........shadows are just a little too much for a card that low in the performance area.

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

If you want to see shadows you need a better card than the GT 9400.  Try the card I'm using (I can see shadows with just a little lag......barely noticable in most areas)..........a GTS 250.  About $100 and a 400 watt minimum PS.

I'm running an EVGA GTS 250 with 1 gig ram and I'm tickled pink with it.  (It was a Holiday gift).  I do think it required minimum 450W though. 

Should be able to get that card AND a 550W power supply for under $200

Stupid place is closed today for Columbus day I guess.  I plan to go up to Best Buy once my baby wakes up from her nap and get a 650 watt psu, and since it appears to be so easy to put in, put it in myself.  I don't want to pay Best Buy 50 bucks to install something if it really is simple.  As far as a graphics card, I am going to hold off for a few days to really decide what I want.  I have gotten plenty of suggestions, though I'm taking the ones from SL users the best because they KNOW what I need to run SL the way I want to.  Normally I just go up and ask people at Best Buy and they say it SHOULD be able to do it, but don't realize they are just allowing me to meet minimum requirements for SL.  Again though, thanks for all the help everyone :)

The 9400gt will not run sl with shadows, its simply not enough card. I its like a 50 dollar entry level video card, if you can even get them anymore. I have one and have done several tests with it. I would consider it a minimum to play sl well, and that would be on mid graphics not ultra.

I recently made some videos testing different computer configurations and cards, and the 9400gt was one of them. They are geared to setting up your viewer for racing, but should give you an idea of what effects what.

This is our you tube channel, watch the videos named KK video series. The two that would interest you most would be the mid level and the gaming system. Keep in mind the set up I used for the gaming system won't even run shadows real well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/vladihazelnut?feature=mhum

Also take a look at this web page on Toms Hardware, it lists video cards in order of their performance. Take a look at where the 9400gt falls compared to other cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-radeon-geforce,3018-7.html

If you plan on running SL with shadows you are going to need some serious power. Shadows really makes a hard hit on your computer.

For just simply playing sl I would have said the computer you have should work fairly well as long as everything is in working order. Then you mentioned shadows and crowded places. That is whole different ball game. You are going to want something fairly modern and fast.

At least a quad core processor running at 3.0 or better. I have an amd but will admit Intel's are better. So if you can swing an i7 go for it. This won't make a huge improvement in how sl runs, but it will let you run other stuff in the background and not effect sl as much

Ram, honestly you don't need a ton of ram, 4 gigs would be plenty in my opinion for sl, but if you have the money and are going to build a bad ass system might as well go for 8 gigs of ddr3 running in dual channel mode. As in get two matched sticks that are 4 gigs a stick. This will let them run in dual mode and they can run twice as fast. That is the theory anyway.

Get the fastest freakin sata hard drive you can find. Look at its RPM and and its read and write times. Another option is getting an SSD drive just for you operating system and a mechanical drive for everything else and your virtual ram. This is how I have my set up. SSD's read really fast, but their write times are not a whole lot better than a good mechanical drive. Unless things have changed in the last year.

For the video card I would read some of the reviews on Toms Hardware and see what they suggest, they have articles every month listing the best graphics card for the money. Even though I feel ATI makes the better video card, I would stick with a Nvidia for sl. For some reason ATI's tend to have problems with SL, its kind of hit and miss. 

What I can say is that I use an amd 945 quad core with a GTS250 and 4 gigs of ram on windows 7. And my system will barely run shadows. It will run fine with every thing else cranked all the way up, but shadows is a killer for my system. It will run, I just don't get very good frame rates, maybe 10 or so if there are people around me. So you are going to need something  a little better than the GTS250 or other similar cards.

After market power supply is going to be a must, a minimum of 450 watts most likely more. And adequate cooling to go with it. I wouldn't try to stick all this in a little case either. Look for something that has good flow. I would also suggest an after market cpu cooler.

I don't think you need a full out gaming rig with SLI video cards and RAiD hard drives or anything, but I think you might want to look at something a bit better than the run of the mill computer.

Honestly if you have a fair amount of money, I would go to a small computer store that build PC's, tell them what you are looking for and let them build you a system that fits your needs. It might cost more than going to Best Buy, but you will get what you need and the support will be better for sure.

Wow thanks for all that info.  I'm going to take a bit to decide what I want to do before I jump into a lot of expenses.  However, I'll be keeping in mind the things you have said.  I'm planning to go ahead and upgrade the PSU since it was supposed to have already been done.  And as far as it goes, I've about decided I don't really care about shadows lol.  I just want to be able to run SL on Ultra settings with not a lot of lag.  I miss seeing SL the way I used to!

I was getting ready to make a video comparting the 9400gt to a better video c ard just so you could see the difference. If you are not concerned with shadows I agree with the others, anything that falls in the realm of the GTS250, 9800GTX+ will be fine for sl in ultra. Problem is these cards are a bit outdated so finding one might be difficult. The good news is you can most likely get a better card for what we paid for those card. You will for sure need a better supply though, once you step into the realm of these cards they require their own power plug to run them, unlike the 9400gt. And they are big, so will you have to make sure you have room in your case for them. They take up two bays width wise and are fairly long. And they pump out some heat.

I don't know much about pentium boards but you may also be able to upgrade your cpu. I know with amd you can. I went from a dual core 245 to a quad core on the same board. Might not be as easy with pentium though, you would have to do some research or ask a shop if its possible.

The more I think about it, I am going to make a video comparing the two for you. Give me a few hours to configure the system, shoot the video edit them and upload them. I will let you know when its done. This way you can see first hand what the effects will be.

Sorry it took so long to get the videos uploaded. you tube was giving me a heck of a time getting them uploaded. But here they are.

This is the first video with the 9400GT

And here is the one with the GTS 250

Pay close attention to the end where it compares the 250 to the 460. I highly suggest for the money if you can afford it to just get the GTX 460, it will pound the 250 into the dirt performance wise and if you shop around you can probably get one for 150 or less after rebates. And when you decide to get a new computer just pull it out and put in the new computer. Providing they don't change the PCI e format by then lol. Poor old AGP didn't seem to last too long.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. The videos are kind of long so it might take some time to watch them.

I hope the help you out.

• 2 months later...

I an going to buy a new computer soon, but im not really sure for what i shoule be looking for to get my Second life to run like a charm. I am thinking of buy a this one:

HP 6200 PRO XY101EA: Windows® 7 Professional, Intel® Core™ i5-2400, 3,10 GHz, Intel® Q65 Express, 1x 2 GB, DDR3, 1066 MHz, Intel® HD 2000, SATA 500 GB, DVD±RW DL Light scribe, 10/100/1000 Mbit, Small Form Factor, 240 W, PS/2 Optical Mouse, PS/2 Standard Keyboard.

I would apriciate if someone would tell me if thats' a goof compononet to have second life in its all glory, and to especially have shadows, bumps, and to run it on high perfomance.

Thank you in advance. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4511 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.