Two new products announced by Linden Lab

Hitomi Tiponi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw it on Twitter courtesy of Daniel Voyager.

Creatorverse is interesting. Kind of like Automatic adobe Flash animating/creating for kids. Well the imagery/content was drawn to appeal to much younger folk in the example video that I saw.

I don't see how this can be negative for SL in any way and It has enough appeal and wow factor to do well for LL I think.

It will be nice to see some quite complicated works created with it.

It's new, it's interesting, it looks easy to create with, well done LL I would say.

Usefulness factor? around the same as SLahehe.gif But that's ok, It too is just for fun.

Two out of four new products and we are nearing the end of September? It explains a lot about the feeling many have that SL is being significantly neglected by Linden Lab. On the good side though, Linden Lab is entering the low learn / low hardware demand of the Pad market which may draw some interest back to it as a company. If any of the four products become popular that will certainly help improve their public image at least. As for interest... well, I have none. They sound like low-end SL building apps with no social network, kinda like piddling with photo-editing or kiddy paint apps while waiting for movie previews to play at the theater. Maybe LL's marketing people can work up something more exciting and encouraging to say about it...

When the news broke that LL were developing products that were alternative and separate to second life I voiced my concern on the forums. I still have those concerns. SL is clearly already under-resourced in terms of manpower,support and investment. Any time that LL employees devote to creating new products, is time that is not spent fixing the problems that exist on the grid today, or developing SL into something that could appeal to a wider audience thus making it more sustainable.

The main argument people made about that opinion was that it was good that LL were developing new revenue sources. Down the road these new revenue sources could help carry and support SL and slow it's progression into obscurity. I don't agree with this opinion. As soon as one of these "other" projects shows any sign of being successful and profitable, more resources are going to be put into further development.....resources that could have been spent on SL. 

If any of these other products go viral then SL is screwed. If any of them are even mildly successful then I fear the worst for SL. If a company is given a choice between pumping money and resources into a new product that has proven to be success versus an old product whose usership is in decline, then they are going invest in the new product every time.

So I hope that all of LL's new products fail big time. I think any success that LL has with "other" products will ultimately be a detriment to SL.

Interesting.  I don't see the first one having much appeal to a lot of SL users and content creators,  It is aimed at a totally different market I think.  The second doesn't initially sound appealing to me either, but will reserve judgment until I see more about it.  However I doubt it will replace SL for me.

I wish LL all the success with these. Product diversification is always a good thing for the health of a company, and the healthier LL is the better that is for SL.   Perhaps they will cab then afford to hire more high quality techs that know what they are doing and fix SL and provide more and better customer service.   They may also spark the creativity in people that will then become interested in SL too.

Until I see something negative for SL , I'll be optimistic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.