Twilight

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Beautiful, Nyll!

I love crescent moons, alignments and budding trees. Three kinds of inspiration in one shot!

It's fun to see how young a moon you can catch. Yours is about 60 hours old. The youngest I've ever caught naked eye was just over 18, so I've yet to see a minor ;-).

Thierry Legault holds the record for capturing the youngest (possible!) crescent moon...

moon-youngest-Thierry-Legault-7-8-2013-lg.jpg

Here's more about how caught the newborn...  http://earthsky.org/space/young-moon-visibility

Nobody seems to chase waning crescents, probably because you have to be up with the birds to see 'em. I have an unobstructed sunrise view over Lake Michigan, so I've seen many, the oldest still more than a day before rebirth.

It's overcast here, so the best I can do is share a few recent photos. Here's a near full moon rising over Lake Michigan, Comet Lovejoy and the Seven Sisters, and a first quarter moon in the morning, all taken from my yard...

Backyard Skies.jpg

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

My horizons are not so good.

Since childhood, I've lost more than 75% of my night sky because of encroaching light pollution. Yet it's still a magical place and I'm truly lucky to be here. But I think you're okay where you are, Nyll.

It's not the quality of your horizons that counts most, it's your ability to be inspired by what you see. You've demonstrated that amply over the years.

Thanks for sharing your view...

...and the photograph.

;-).

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Madelaine, you will probably appreciate this, then!
It's one of my favorite places to go and just be by myself.

ETA video

Oooh, that's beautiful Aislin! I love time-lapse photograph. That's on my list of things to start doing in RL.

I missed the recent Northern Lights display. Wisconsin's skies were clear, except for a tiny patch of clouds over my head. It's been ages since I've visited the UP. I may get up there this summer, or at least up to the Lake Superior shoreline. I know a spot near Bayfield, WI where the sandy beach is so flat you can walk out 300 feet into the lake and still be only knee deep, and not shivering!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.