Tried to RP, think I might have griefed

PC675

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently I tried to join a RP group but I think I might have been duped by greifers in assisting them. 

On Sunday, I was told there was a great RP 'gangland' style group who were interested in new members. I was TPd to a restaurant sim where a player in a suit and a pig's head was eating dinner and he told me what I had to do to join the group. But it's now Wedsnesday and I'm scared that I'm about to get banned from SL. Here's what happened.

1) The pig's head man gave me 1000L and a box of items and told me I had to sell the items to people and pay him back the 1000L gradually. The items are like sports cars, hair, clothing, furniture and houses. I think they may be copybot though.

2) Weirdly, the RP group doesn't have its own group - instead I was told to use a horse auction group and log on on Tuesday at 4pm SLT for further instructions.

3) At 4pm yesterday, the horse auction group chat started and people started talking about 'targets' being at a certain sim until some other users said 'Stop spamming'. I then got IM'd by someone who said "We are doing our first RP at XXX (location)" and he passed me 2 objects -  a rifle and a balaclava.

4) I went to the location and it was on an island, with a wedding going on. I recognised the others in our RP group as they had balaclavas on too, but pig's head man wasn't there. They started shooting the wedding party and sending people in the air. I shot my gun through mouselook and suddenly fired a load of cubes over the sim, which started flying around and making high-pitched screaming noises. I then tried to TP out but crashed.

Later, I logged in and have a lot of angry IMs from people calling me 'griefing loser' and telling me I'm going to get banned. I contacted the person who sent me the gun and asked if this was part of the RP? He said "Hurry up and sell that f*****g stuff, we want 1000L back...we hate cowards who run away".

So could I be in serious trouble? And is there a wway for me to avoid a ban if I tell SL everything?

Sounds like you've been amazingly naive. You were manipulated into griefing.

You might get banned, or possibly just suspended. LL can check all IM, chat and transaction records so they already know what happened. I've never had to defend a ban, so I don't know if your story would be taken into account. Possibly not. If you're banned you'll just have to start again.

Don't RP in areas that aren't dedicated to RP (unless it's just emoting via IM). Don't accept items for resale - no RP I've ever been involved in requires you to sell goods, potentially stolen or otherwise (unless it's a pure RP transaction with no L$ involved, or some kind of RP "currency" like spampires' blood). Don't shoot guns unless you know everyone around is cool with it. And mute the guy who set you up and anyone else involved. Pay the L$1000 back if it makes you feel better, but I'd keep it as a$$hole tax.

What you did was certainly  griefing and possibly fraud.  Personally, I find it hard to believe you didn't know that when you went along with this.  You even suspected the items you were selling were not legit.  Why also would you believe it is OK to shoot people at a wedding especially if it was on a wedding site?

What LL will do is anyones guess.  You probably will get some type of discipline action in the form of a suspension or ban if enough people AR'd you.  Note that if you are banned then you can't create another account to get back in per the TOS.  People do but if LL finds out they'll ban that account too.

If LL offers you an appeal, you can throw yourself on the mercy of the Lindens and hope they believe your story.    They'll tell you how to appeal when they send the email telling you what your sentence is, if you get one.  I doubt you'll get off scot free on appeal.  Maybe you'll get a reduced sentence but I wouldn't count on it.

At the very least people you griefed may ban you from land or sims they own.  You may even get banned from land you've never been on because landowners do talk and tell others about griefers and these people will ban you too.

Legit roll plays usually take place in a designated RP area and there most always is a group you have to join.  If this isn't the case, I'd ask a LOT of questions of the group and and check outside the group before joining any so called roll play group.

While you might get banned, with or without the option to appeal, nothing might happen as well, drink some tea, ponder the lesson and wait for the Linden Lab mail, and actually it might help and be the right thing to do, now you´re certain it was no regular RP but griefing, to IM the people you grieved at the wedding and apologize? Probably most of them even will accept your apology, if you´re sincere and tell them you´re new and now understood what you did and won´t do anything the like again. I know I would. At the least it might help you in case of a ban with the option to appeal.

And in case nothing much happens or you decide to start anwew on an alt - just go down a few threads on the forum and see this one to try to RP Smiley Wink https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Role-Play/bd-p/RolePlay or use inworld search to find real roleplay sims and groups. RP sims are glad for nice people who want to RP, no need to go shooting people on a wedding which might not even be 'real rp' to them.

Even if you are completely new to roleplay, I can not understand how you simply proceeded without realizing what you where doing. The very last moment you should have realized what was actually going on, would have been when you arrived at the location and saw what the others did.

At this moment, you should have realized that the weapons were griefing tools and that nobody at the wedding was a willing participant in any sort of RP. But instead...you fired your gun, too. Oo

If someone from LL will care enough about the griefeing, I highly doubt they would believe your story.

in the State of Michigan Probate Court, a PC675 is a:

Petition to Terminate or Modify Guardianship of a Legally Incapacitated Individual or Minor

I think OP is most likely going to get their own form filled in

+

is either that or a hydraulic sensor for a tractor

and given that it seems to be malfunctioning brandnew out the box then probably best to send it back for a replacement part

(:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.