Tips for this game?

Vinxent9

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kill the goblins first. Even though they're low on strength, there are so many of them, they can get your health down faster than you think. After that, just use protection spells while you build up the power in your weapon for the final assault.

Oh wait... I may be thinking of a different game.

right right. So just... do whatever you want. Using the search and destination guide can be a good way to find places to go, and talk to people and stuff.

to protect yourself for missing around half of the people inworld...don't call it a game  :) thats a sensitive subject here.

It is... and it isn't .. :)

if you know nothing about SL it's perhaps a good point to start at the top of this page and click "what is Second Life".

There are no goals, no points, no leaders ....it is wat you want it to be for you, within the borders of your imaginiation.

Go tp around, find your way, find some gret things to work on your avatar, meet people.... go dance, swim, shop....and so on... and so on

Some tips on handling the bad things in SL:

At the login screen for Second Life, you can type in the name of any sim in the location box. If you ever find yourself in an unpleasant situation, log off and log in somewhere else.

If someone tries to grief you, right click on them and report them. Don't talk to them or interact in any way.

You can also right click and block people. This will both mute and derender them.

Think of things you'd love to do in real life, but can't, or won't, for whatever reason. Odds are, you can do that in second life.

When I go exploring I go all of the places I'd love to visit in real life, but can't due to whatever reasons(money, distance, fear, etc..) I go sky diving and on roller coasters, both of which I can't do in real life thanks to health limitations(and I'm a scaredy cat, which doesn't help, lol). I'm not into the club scene like others might be, but if you are, there are literally thousands of them! If you're a chatty cathy, or want to be, look at the map and find places where loads of green dots exist, tp in and have a chat :D 

Some of the things I enjoy the most include :

exploring-I go all over the place, the grand canyon is a pretty nifty set of sims with loads to do, you're only limited by your search findings :D

Amusement places-arcades, amusement parks, zoos, mini golf, actual golf, bowling, batting cages, go kart and go kart racing, regular racing/driving(I am a terrible driver in sl, lmao), flying(of all sorts, though I am quite terrible at this too, lol), skiing, water sports(like diving, snorkeling, surfing, etc..), water parks....really, the only limitations that we have involves our own imagination. There is so much to do in sl. Though you might find that many of the sims you visit have very few, if any people, as they arne't necessarily geared towards a massive social venue, like clubs would be. Amusement parks, for example, can be amazing, but are likely to be quite empty...still fun. It can be even more fun if you have someoen to go around the grid with. People like that are easy to find, you can even find them here on the forums if you look in the right places. 

I also love to build, obviously, and I build a lot, especially when I am not currently enrolled in any rl classes(as is the case until next month anyway) or my kids are off school. THough my building process is much slower than it used to be, I still enjoy it and will until my lights go out for good :D

I also love animals, of all kinds, so I have loads of breedables which I periodically take out(those not currently out that is), though my inventory is chock full of more than I care to count(eggs, nests, boxes, you name it, I probably have it, lol)

If you want to know how things work, head to the wiki, and gather up as much information as you can. Or, you can even search these forums and you'll probably find everything you need to know, since nearly everything has been asked/answered multiple times over the years. The forums are a wealth of information, as is the answers section, and even the blog(though far less helpful than the forums and the answers section). You can even do a google search for blogs and websites related or dedicated to sl, those folks often have loads of info too.

Vinxent9 wrote:

so just do what you want to do then....

and what's wrong with calling this game?? a lot of people disagree or?? ._.

Some people think of SL as a game because it looks like some games. In those games, you arrive and there are objectives to achieve, goals to reach, stuff like that - actual gameplay. SL isn't like that at all. It's just an environment in which users do what they want to do. There are some games within SL that users have created, but SL itslef is not a game in the way that similar looking games are.

Think of SL like an RL park. You go the park, and then what do you do? The park isn't a game. If you take a bat and ball, you can play a game within the park. From a game perspective, SL is very much like the park.

Vinxent9 wrote:

and i hear you can get a job here.. and get real money from it??

is that true?? and if true is that easy to get a lot of $ in just 1 month??

Yes you can get jobs in SL, but don't expect to take any real money out because jobs don't pay anything like enough for that. Jobs help people to finance their SL lives - buy clothes, etc. But real money can be taken out if you do things that earn enough. Jobs help people to finance their SL lives - buy clothes, etc. But real money can be taken out if you do things that earn enough. For instance, e-s-c-o-r-t-i-n-g can be quite luctrative - I'm told, because it's not something I've had any involvement in. 

A lot of people make and sell things - clothes, furniture, houses, etc., but very few make enough money to take an RL livelihood out. Almost all of them are happy if they make enough money to cover their land costs. Some make enough real money to help with the RL bills. A tiny number make enough real money to be an RL livelihood.

SL is a hobby. Businesses in SL are, on the whole, hobbies for almost everyone who has a business here.

Vinxent9 wrote:

so just do what you want to do then....

and what's wrong with calling this game?? a lot of people disagree or?? ._.

Yeah, that's where I would start, to be honest. Anything you need to learn, you can learn as you go. Anything that stops you, or slows you down, you can find information on with a quick google search, or a search on the forums. The best way to figure out what to do, and how to do it, is to just set out and go forth :D I find exploring ot be particularly helpful in this regard, because you can just tp around the grid, you never know what you'll find. Ever wanted to visit a froeign place, city, or do something fun...search for it, you'll probably find it. I like visiting the Eiffel tower now and again, the grand canyon has tons of activities that are loads of fun(drive around, fly a helicopter, go sledding or snow tubing, hot air balloon rides, ice skating, climb the mountains, bungee jump, parachute down(you can do that off the Eiffel tower too, lol), all kinds of stuff. I've explored museums galore, visited some super fancy places, diferent role play sims, space themed sims, gardens (Da Vinci Gardens is a great place to visit too, on that note) etc.. For some sims, there is a certain appearance requirement, but all of them(I have found) will let you know when you land what is required, so you can prepare. There's tons of free stuff for folks that like to shop, and a lot of it IS good quality these days. There are even places that offer classes on some of the basics of sl, if you find yourself lost.

To answer your money question, yes you can make money. Most of the "jobs" you're not going to get a real income from, but you could, easily, get some sl spending money. Some folks might tell you that only the sex and adult related jobs pay well, but those folks would be wrong. It just takes some searching and hard work. If you can create, you're more likely to get a rl income from sl. I know I have lived(and raised my kiddos) off my sl income in the past, for quite a while actually, so it is possible. But, again, it takes some work. Most folks just "work" in sl, to earn sl spending money that they never really intend to cash out, and that's a much more realistic goal for most folks, ok, probably a much more realistic goal. You can earn free lindens(money in sl) by playing in the realms (do a search for that), and I beieve there is another sl "game", but I don't know anything about it,lol.  A lot of the people that hire others in sl, want osme kind of sl experience, even if it's just an "age" requirement(like having been in sl for at least 30 days, or more, for example) That's just so they can keep folks from coming in, working for a little while, and leaving. Plus, sl experience will help with nearly any job you find. The moe you know about the platform, the better employee you'll be :D 

As for the game aspect...meh, that's such a touchy subject on these forums lol, I wouldn't delve into it if I were you. If you search for it, you'll find loads of posts about whether or not sl is or is not a game. Me, personally, I say to each their own. It's a game to some, and to others, it's not. For me, sl is a virtual environment, and so much more than a game..but I won't snap someone's head off for calling it a game, if that's what they feel it is for *them. Everyone interprets things as they want, and on this subject, some folks will believe they have the "right" answer, while yet another group thinks the same..in either case, I'm not convinced either is right, unless they're stating what it is for them and them only. I wouldn't worry too much about what others say on the subject. Sl is whatever you want it to be :)

BilliJo Aldrin wrote:

I forgot to add the part about there being no winners or losers, but SL is full of losers, so i dunno
:)

I was thinking of saying it's like Minecraft without the creepers, but yeah, that analogy runs into the same problem.

Vinxent9 wrote:

Hiya guys o/

I'm new here and i don't know what should i do in this game because it is so complex game...

do you have any tips for me?? so i can keep going
;)

The first thing and most important thing to consider is that Second Life isn't really a game, though I will use the term 'in-game' or 'in-world' interchangeably to mean 'in-SL".

When I describe Second Life to people who do not know what it is, I describe it as a "3D Virtual Chat". Second Life is very much like a chat site on the internet, but instead of hosting just text or text/webcam, it allows users to interact with each other in a 3D world.

Second Life allows you to do anything you want; chat, explore, build and even run your own virtual goods store or host a medieval castle for you and your friends to roleplay in.

Search for sims and topics that you have an interest in, and go from there. Follow the tutorials to learn how to use and clothe your avatar, and most importantly - talk to others to find out what's going on, where to shop, etc.

I have used Second LIfe mostly for creative pursuits, starting with machinima (which I would like to return to), building scenes and clubs, etc - now am into creating mesh for sale and use in Second LIfe - which helps fund my activities inworld.

Second LIfe is both an environment to lose yourself in, and a tool to create any virtual reality you want - the limit is your own imagination.

$$? You don't need it. As a new user there are plenty of freebies and gifts to get you started - I still have a set of freebie (and lost to antiquity) "Canada Jeans" I found on Day One and haven't stopped wearing since on my main outfit. I went for months and months without a single $L, or earned $L inworld from other residents for builds, help, info, tips, etc.

If you have any multimedia talents from the RL, you can use them all in SL - and will drive you to improve those skills.

In short, SL requires a lot of participation and exploration - one cannot be passive and it really becomes a case of ' what you make of it".

If you need any more help, keep posting - there are plenty of people here who will help. Have fun!

Actually, there are games in Second Life. You can find some Linden-supported games through Portal Park, and there are hunts and quests galore. There are some pay-to-play games -  MadPeas is one example, although I wouldn't pay for more than the cheapest package until they've fixed some of the glitches*.

Perhaps the best 'game' is cosplay - trying on different avatars and different personas.

Myself, I like to explore - the creativity and talent of most Second Life residents never ceases to amaze me.

Have fun!

*MadPeas games are well-done, but not for the faint-of-heart or the impatient. I quit playing the games after a glitch prevented me from completing all the prize levels and even the help desk couldn't help me.

Points to the Blogs and Knowledge Base Tabs above.  

Aside from the SL Wiki, the knowledge base is also a good source of basic information about how things work in SL.  It is written in an easy to understand style.

The Blogs is where Linden Lab announces new things about the virtual world, important information you may need to know and gives tips about how to do things, among other topics.  It's a good idea to check them once in a while to keep up with things.

Welcome to SL.  You are in for a great adventure!  Enjoy it!.  

Second Life is like life. Except you can fly and leave your sofa in the air when you want to rearrange the furniture.

What do you want to do more of? Look for that. Don't stress about mesh bodies until you know what they are. Try lots of things, meet lots of people, makes lots of mistakes, wear boxes by accident and laugh about it all. :matte-motes-smile:

# 1. Talk to people inworld. Say hello, tell them you're new, ask them what they like to do & where they like to go.

# 2. Use the inworld Search to join groups for things that interest you.

# 3. Use Search to find places you might like, then go exploring.

# 4. Treat others here with respect & courtesy. Realize they may be in the middle of another conversation when you talk to them. Treat their homes in SL as you would someone's home in RL, which means not just walking in without permission. Don't make fun of how others look or speak. Don't be purposely annoying, rude or tasteless. Try to be appropriately dressed for the location you're in. If someone else annoys you, try to ignore or mute them, rather than letting a disagreement escalate.

# 5. It's hard to make money in SL if you don't have experience & marketable skills. Rather than trying to make lindens when you're new, try to find groups, hunts, & other ways to get the stuff you like for free. Join the groups for shops you like in order to get their free group gifts.

#6. Join a group that helps newbies or one that helps people learn how to build stuff in SL. Once you learn the basics of SL building, making stuff yourself can be alot of fun. Not everyone wants to make stuff though. Some are happy to buy things that others have made or just want to chat & not collect a bunch of virtual stuff.

#7. If you're willing to spend $ 10 - $12 dollars for lindens anyway, you can get a Premium SL account for $ 11.25 for 3 months right now. When you consider the $L 300 you'll get each week & the $L 1000 you'll get after 45 days, this deal is effectively free. If you don't want to pay $22.50 after 3 months, be sure to downgrade to a free Basic account before your 3 months are over. This deal is only good before August 1st.

Good point, if you are interested in games, they do exist although not as many as I would like and are harder to find than they should be. The games category in the online destination guide is littered with crap, some of which doesn't even exist any more, and that category on the in-world dest guide is nothing but gambling places!

But if you are interested in games, here's a hub with tp's out to the best of the best SL games: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Redstone/88/16/4001

There's a tp to Madpea from there, to my games (Lutra City Mysteries), Adventure Land, Portal Park, The Well, and the Fantasia Experience. That should keep you gaming for a while if that's where your interests lie. :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.