Think a friend deleted their account?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not sure but I think a friend deleted their account. Is there any way to tell for sure? They have gone from search, but they are still on my friends list. I understand that a deleted account is pending for a while, after that will they disappear from my friends list? Thanks.

You can check their web profile, if it says "This name is unavailable." there's a good chance they did delete their account, although I believe if account is deleted, but then restored, webpage stays like that, I've seen a few such profiles already.

As for the search, it seems a bit bugged right now, I don't see my main acount on it, as well as some of my friends are missing too, while others are there.

They have several accounts, all of which stopped appearing in search. Also tried deleting an old account as a test, and exactly the same thing happened.

So I can never know 100% that they left? I knew this person for many years, but we haven't talked very much lately so idk :(

NatalieP2015 wrote:

I'm not sure but I think a friend deleted their account. Is there any way to tell for sure? They have gone from search, but they are still on my friends list. I understand that a deleted account is pending for a while, after that will they disappear from my friends list? Thanks.

If they are gone from search they have been banned or deleted their account.

In both cases they stay on your friends list until you delete them. I have some people who deleted back in mid 2007 on my list still.

Callum Meriman wrote:

In both cases they stay on your friends list until you delete them. I have some people who deleted back in mid 2007 on my list still.

I think the first isn't completely true, you can keep your account out of search by deselecting it in your profile.

But indeed wen having a perma ban, it's gone too.

Alwin Alcott wrote:

Callum Meriman wrote:

I think the first isn't completely true, you can keep your account out of search by deselecting it in your profile.

But indeed wen having a perma ban, it's gone too.

Only the web search. It's still available in the old style search eeither way.

I'm going back a few years, though not all that many. One of the things that LL did to help make the search index (database) smaller, so that searches could be quicker, was remove all avatars that didn't log in for a specific period of time. I don't remember exactly what the period of time was, but I do remember that it was only a matter of weeks.

I can't say that they are removed now, or that the period of time is still only a matter of weeks, but it was true not many years ago and, judging by your alt, it does look as though it's still true.

Thank you Nyll. It's good knowing that it's still the same. Even though we don't know how long it is before an avatar is removed from the index, we certainly have a confirmed possible answer when missing-from-search avatars come up again.

ETA: It would be interesting to see how long it is before she disappears from search again ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2828 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.