Taking out the trash

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm inventory cleaning and I have 80k worth of stuff. I hate this so darn much. But its my mess. I should have been more organized. Le sigh. Anyways, the reason for my post is I have TONS of stuff in my trash bin. I just want to delete it but I am hesitant. Would you just delete whats in the trash or would you pick through it. What if there is thousands of items? Wondering if I should take the plunge and purge?

My experience has always been that I never need anything until after I have gotten rid of it.

The problem with a big inventory, though, is trying to find something. What I am currently trying to do with my own inventory is to go through a few items at a time.  Things that I think I or someone else can use can be filed, things that I don't think anyone could ever use can be thrown away, and things I'm not sure about can be put in a box marked "To trash or not to trash?"which maybe I will have time to go through later.

I remember someone saying you should sort your inventory every time you are inworld (ha!). It would help me not to take every freebie in sight.

Now I need to go sort inventory.

I would look carefully at more recent trash. I get IMs all the time from people who deleted something then immediately emptied the trash. This week it was someone who put her entire furnishings folder in the trash and emptied it. my next tip of the week is going to be about being careful emptying trash.

I rarely empty my trash, does not cause me problems.

Before I empty my trash I scan it for no copy items because I know u can't get those back. After that I toss it. Inventory organization is a fairly big task but it can be managed. A good first step is to organize when you buy and have a system thank is easy enough to enable you to do it. 80k is a lot. I dropped from 60 to about 25 though after a total reorg happy to chat inventory stuff with anyone, just shout.

With Singularity you can open just one folder in a separate window. Then (among other handy things) you can use 'no copy' as a keyword so everything that is no copy, and only those things, will show up in your trash folder.  You can also use filters so that only those objects a certain number of months/weeks/days old will show.

Through the years it became a sport an obsession to keep my inventory as empty as possible. At the same time I frequently need something when I am building. This ended up in a system in how I organize my inventory. Now last week I had a cleaning session again (the hardest part of keeping a system is to maintain it) and I faced the same 'problem', a stuffed trash can. Thousands of items. I decided to just drop everything in some boxes, together with an inventory reading script, linked the boxes and took it in inventory and placed it in my back up folder. Then I flushed my trash. 

As for my system. I use HUDS for textures, animations/poses and sounds. Then for objects, I created a rezzersystem. Categorized boxes with the stuff inside, boxes in a multirezzer (some boxes are rezzers themself too for sub categories). Done. One copy rezzed. One copy in inventory.

Besides that, when I buy something new I unpack it and then I place the orginal item in a categorized box, copy and no copy separated, and take that back to inventory.

Oh, here is a glimpse of my inventory. It also shows my new personal record :matte-motes-big-grin:

Schermafbeelding 2015-05-26 om 09.18.41.jpg

It is like this -

If you have a bunch of crap in the trash can and dont know what is in there, you would never find it if searching anyways. You would probably not remember owning half the stuff.

80K items, good luck finding ANYthing.

Plus, if you did trash some valuable treasure like a worthless texture, outfit, etc... it would probably be easier to just re-buy or re-make the thing than trying to remember what it is called to do a search.

wow, 80,000 items. And I thought I had reached haorder status when my INV got a little over 1,000

How is it even possible to accumilate 80,000 items? I don;t think I could do that even if I added up all the PRIMS in various objects.

I gave up on my inventory about 6 years ago when we sold our sim. I probably have 10,000 objects names "Object" in there. Some day I am going to find a big sandbox and rez each one to see if it is worth keeping. Or at least that is what I have been telling myself for years.  ;)

I suppose I should mention that a nearly 11 year old inventory can be a terrifying thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.