System requirements

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've read the offical page of SL for the system requirements before I went shopping for a new computer. (the only one that can handle SL is my computer at work. hehe.. no good to go on SL there.)

But when I started to look online for a computer in my country, I never encountered those specs for the graphic card. thus I made a list with the specs of several computer that was in my financial range. Can somebody tell me if they are suitable to run SL?

1. Intel Core i3-4160 • 4 GB • 500 GB HDD • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (2 GB)

2. Intel Core i5-6400 • 8 GB • 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB)

3. Intel Core i5-4460 • 8 GB • 1 TB HDD • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 (4 GB)

4. Intel Core i7-6700 • 8 GB • 1 TB HDD • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 (4 GB)

As a rule, bigger is better for use in SL. The i7 will easily give you the most bang for your buck.

It's not possible to say what kind of experience you'll have in SL from these options since SL performance is based on many many factors not listed here (mostly related to your connection, but also cooling capability). They should all run SL with some ability, with performance from low-to-high going downward.

I'd be tempted by Option 2 maybe, if I didn't really want an i7 - I've had a lot of good success with SSD performance as a cache disk in SL.

Except I do run an i7, so Option 4. :P

Worth noting also that the System Requirements page hasn't been updated in some time (which is why it uses 4-digit Nvidia codes, the previous series). I personally wouldn't vouch for its accuracy. I'm unaware of a more recent resource to point you at.

I'd go for option 2, the CPU is more than enough and the graphics card is pretty good, not to say some overkill for SL;) This PC will even able to handle the Oculus Rift, if I remember right. The I3 is working good too, but if you use more programs at a time it would slow down things. Option 3 would be my 2nd choice, all well balanced in my opinion and enough for SL. Option 4 has an I7, but of the downside a more weaker graphics card.

I like the look of option 2. The i5 processor is more than enough to run Second Life. That graphic card should let you see things in world with beautiful detail. 

Some of the new Nvidia cards have optiumus technology. Which basically means it can switch what it uses for graphics. (the onboard intel graphics or the nvidia graphics) 

I am using i7 with the nvidia GTX 960m and I make sure that when i run second life with the Nvidia card. The details are lovely.  I aslo have a SSD that has my operating system on it. I never thought of having SL on cache on it .. mmmm intresting

However, like other posters have pointed out there are a muliple thing that affect a SL experience. Internet sppeds, didtance from the SL servers ect ect. 

But definately SL will look awesome with those graphics. 

The GTX 750Ti would work, probably not at ultra graphics, but somewhere above mid-level. The GTX 970 would run SL on ultra without any problem at all. The other two cards (GTX 745 and GT 730) are really meant for business graphics -- spreadsheets and word processors. An NVidia card with 5 for the last digit is OEM ... built for a computer manufacturer. They're built to be cheap. Avoid them.

I vote for option 2 as well.

• 7 months later...

I can say the current SL system requirements are not the best guide to use. After recently testing the latest Firestorm & Singualrity Windows & Linux x64 viewers (Builds 6915)  for prolonged sessions in SL with resolutions set @ 1280x720p I'd strongle recommend @ least 10GB system RAM; although 12GB would be better. Furthermore, I do have a neighbor/SL resident who built his desktop using a 3rd generation Intel LGA 1155 G1620 dual core Celeron @ 2.7GHz , approx. 10GB RAM, An Evga 430 watt power supply & a MSI Nvidia GT 740 2GB DDR5 128 bit LOL it uses little electricity, W/10 Home x64; yet it runs SL surpisingly well for what it is too. Here are a few options one migh consider:

Intel i3 6100 with hyperthreading--10-12 GB RAM--PNY SSD-- along with thie recently released PNY XLR8 GTX 1050 it is overclocked, 6pin PCI-E connection & 4GB DDR5 memory. None of the current Nvidia GTX 1XXX cards use an analog signal, so a VGA adapter will not work. Its a little overkill for SL, but @ current price quite a bargain!!

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Gaming-Graphics

OR AMD budget build:

AMD FX-4300--10-12 GB RAM--PNY SSD-- EVGA GTX 1050--great price currently on the AMD FX-4300 & graphics card:

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-4-Core-Black-FX-4300-FD               (approx.$74.99 for non Prime members)

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-Support

An Intel i5 will run SL well too. As many have posted in this Forum your GPU (graphics card) & your Internet connection play a big part in how well your pc will run SL. W/10 Home x64, or Linux? IF you have above normal tech skills Linux currently will run SL faster. I like SL to run fast as possible within my budget. Always make sure you use a *quality power supply. FYI walmart.com is now offering FREE 2 day shipping on a purchase over $35.00 & they do sell pc components! I know an older thread, but still a frequently asked question

"I Love Simplicity"

LinuxGod4u wrote:<

The SecondLife site's pc requirements are outdated.

Let's rather call them over-optimistic. ^_^

With the recent "blue tint" issues, maybe they should add something like:

"Second Life is not compatible with graphics processors by Nvidia, AMD or Intel."

LOL @ over-optimistic as for any Nvidia issues I have not had a one, of course for SL I use Linux/Singularity viewer...I wonder why?   0-o I have never tried Intel HD graphics in SL; due to the fact I always use a dedicated graphics card. I do know SL is lag compatible     :)

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2633 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.