Soooo....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are your thoughts about Secondlife V2?

I kinda doubt high fidelity is actually going to be SL2.

I hope Sl2 will be similar to the current secondlife except it'll have MASSIVE improvements and features to accommodate the Next Gen including:

Virtual Reality compatibility with Occulus Rift(confirmed), Razor Hydra, Omni and more...

Improved performance capabilities

Even more possibilities for avatar custimization like custom skeletons/armatures (though you would have to make ALL of the default av's anims before it'd work I believe.

Ragdoll features. Since I believe this new SL will be able to handle this, Ragdoll physics please! If not with Avs, then at least for objects(by creating joints between prims) and meshes.

Flexi mesh! Better tails, Better mesh hair maybe? Better everything.

More advanced scripting system. Maybe in SL2 you could create more advanced character AI for your objects. Better yet, you could go the Unity3D approach and also allow other scripting languages to be used if possible! If not, then I really hope the Linden scripting language will be revamped to be even more advanced and powerful!

Also, before you reply with "SL can't handle all that" Just think.

Our current SL is like an outdated computer. It's been upgraded to its maximum but yet it's still 10 years behind technology and performance-wise. But if you build a new computer that is up to next-gen performance, then it will be able to handle things significantly better.

Just think of all the possibilities!

So, your thoughts?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Next Generation Platform (LL calls it that) is NOT SL2.  It's likely to be far different and hopefully easier to use.

Scripting will be in C++.

Everything else is pure conjecture at this point and will be until LL decides to release more information.  It is still in the design stage so anything is possible.

Well, whatever it is, it'll be using current technology, so it should be an interesting project.

Assuming it has anything to do with Second Life or a Second Life-like platform, I'd expect better performance and optimization, better integreation with modern asset creation tools, and an improved inface and controls. Anything beyond that is wishlisting, since we don't even know what this new project is, let alone can create opinions about it.

For all you people interested in the coding side of our virtual existence:

C# is intended to be a simple, modern, general-purpose, object-oriented programming language Its development team is led by Anders Hejlsberg. The most recent version is C# 5.0, which was released on August 15, 2012.

Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)

C# Programming Guide

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67ef8sbd.aspx

C# Everything

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/

No need to be rude. There can still be a discussion about how Sl would be like IF it had these features.

Also:

http://www.lindenlab.com/releases/linden-lab-is-developing-the-next-generation-virtual-world

While obviously it won't be EXACTLY like SL (which i really don't care, as long as it still has the creative aspects with massive improvements compared to SL, like nextgen features, then i'm good with it) It's being developed and I think it'd be cool if it had these features. Just saying. So calm down.

kayla Mekanic wrote:

I was talking about the "learning to read" remark was rude and uncalled for.

Also dangerous, in that the same post contained a misreading of "Unity" for "university" (presumably, for "Uni" to make any sense at all).

Anyway, it's probably good that your C# is in the Unity setting because it's one step in the direction of dumbing-down of the language, where Linden's Next Gen Thingy will have to go a step or two further to ensure security and practical resource sharing by user-generated scripts. So, yeah, it'll be the same language, but it will feel tremendously crippled by limitations imposed on the execution environment, much as LSL currently doesn't get to run wild all over the Mono engine.

But all this notwithstanding, I think "learn to read" really refers to the fact that commentary on this topic has been rampant and voluminous, and you'll not see anything posted in response to this thread that wouldn't be more easily found in other threads, other forums, blogs, and transcripts of interviews with Ebbe. Google is your friend -- and in this case, will save a lot of time and produce much better results.

kayla Mekanic wrote:

What are your thoughts about Secondlife V2?

I am more concerned about the prospect of Canada discovering cold fusion and becoming a major power in world politics.

Which is more likely to happen than SL V2.

whispers (like maybe made up could be somehow dunno exactly) are that the next gen thing is referred to as Sansar

ancient olde SL worlde. Sansar(a) being the unofficial name of the SL original continent

+

so maybe we gunna kinda sorta be like Battlestar Galacticans in the next gen thingy. Fleeing the cySLons in search of sanctuary and our roots and our true peoples and homeland. Or homestone even, for the smexxory part maybe could be somehow dunno exactly

(:  

Coby Foden wrote:

Ebbe has said that in the Next Generation Platform the avatars will be 'radically improved'.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Sansar.jpg

Pretty cool, huh? :smileysurprised: :matte-motes-asleep-2:

That's Nepal. Who could do with any help they could get at the moment.

Vulpinus wrote:

ZoeTick wrote:

And open-toed sandals? Ewww, no real man would wear them except on a beach.

Real
men wear what they want, beach or not. Perhaps you are only familiar with imaginary men :smileywink:

On the contrary, I have yet to meet any other real men.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.