Sim Crossings

Aethelwine

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Coby Foden wrote:

One other thing what I have noticed while sailing.  Very often there appears somebody else's boat floating in the air, not moving anywhere.  The minimap shows that the avatar is there too.  Even the viewer radar (Firestorm) tells that the avatar is there.  But mystitool radar shows no avatar.  Well, when you right click on that boat floating in the air.. poof it vanishes, so does the avatar too.  I wonder what causes those ghosts up in the air?

Near airports there are even similar planes floating in the air.  Right click on them and they're gone.  If one stays a long time in one spot near airport there will be many ghost planes in floating (not moving anywhere) in the air.

One more thing, when sailing together with somebody, the other person might drop off the boat or even crash.  The strange thing is that I know nothing of the other avatar being dropped off or being crashed.  As I see it, the avatar is still with me in the boat.  If we have been chatting (in general chat) I just wonder why the other person went suddenly so silent.  What ever I say, no reply.  Only when IM the other avatar and if the avatar just dropped off the boat I get a reply "Where are you?  I'm at the bottom of the sea."  I answer "No, you are still with me in the boat".  Well, when I offer TP and the avatar comes back, their ghost vanishes from the boat.  Again the viewer radar and minimap showed all the time that the avatar was with me in the boat.

i only just went sailing this one day .. i saw boats w/ no avatars in them @ sim crossings .. & i saw avatars hovering in the air w/ no boat .. on the other hand some of the sailors i was attempting to follow made the sim crossing w/ ltl or no trouble .. i actually made the crossing or seemed to a few times but then had no control over my boat afterwards .. so it all seems so arbitrary .. im sure it has something to do w/ script load or boat speed or type or inv size or pathfinding or something .. but it all just seems so arbitrary & bizarre .. sailing might be fun IF IT WORKED !!

Jeanne

Intersting thought it might have to do with inventory size. My inventory is 53,000 items... I keep pruning it, but I shop and i build... and well I have a lot of stuff i want to keep.

I know there're lots of hints about how to keep inventory trim. I shop and build too, but found that boxing up old, unused (but potentially good still) stuff and leaving it at home helps heaps.

Anyway....not trying to turn this into yet another inventory management thread ...I really do hope you find a solution :)

• 2 months later...

Just to confirm again what everybody already knows... sim crossings in Second Life are so bad at present that it seems impossible to do things like sailing.

I sail alot, both cruising and racing, but for the last few months, I have just about given up. Being a racer, I use all known techniques to maximize the chance of not crashing... but they appear to no longer be effective. I usually crash a few minutes after starting.

I tried riding a motorcycle the other day with equally bad results.

As recently as a year ago, I could sail for an hour or two, just about anywhere, with few problems.

SecondLife is definitely going downhill, as far as reliability is concerned.

diamond

Case in point: Minutes ago after visiting the Alston-sim, I hitched a Yavascript tourpod for a ride home and guess what?
200m later the ride was over. Sim crossing timed out. Yesterday I found an avatar hanging in free air across the Alleni/Patagonia border, another one nearby was constantly clouding. I guess, the time is overly ripe for rolling restarts.

Generally, I found the best times for travel and vehicle use are the days directly after the rolling restarts,
as the sims are fresh and not clogged up with old temporary data.

And then the map loading time - *half a ton of expletives deleted*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.