Setting up a donation jar for an event

KarraSue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My wife and I want to  set up an event with all proceeds going to  the Susan G Komen fight for a cure. How would we go about setting up a donation jar so people can donate as the event progresses? Please  message Me inworld (karrasue)

Thank you

Most people that answer questions like this will not IM you in world with answers.  I won't as posting the answer here benefits others that seek the information.

That said, go to the Susan G Korman fund raising web site to see what they require in a fundraiser.  If you don't follow their rules for fund raising then you can't hold a fund raising event without it appearing you are only doing it for personal gain to them and others.  Your event I assume is going to be legit, but this happens in SL and many people won't donate to a SL event for that reason.

A quick look on the web site showed that they do want you to register your fundraiser and be aware that you are holding an event.  This is necessary in case someone contacts them to find out if it's a legit event and that they will get all the money raised. 

Once you know their rules and register, then you can proceed to plan your fundraiser and come back and ask specific questions if you need help with that.  There are many threads where this has been discussed and you can search for them using "how to hold a charity event" for suggestions about all kinds of things including logistics and promotion.

• 9 months later...

It would also seem that Linden Labs now expect some sort of notification or registration of fundraiser events (can anyone else confirm this?)... 

The venue I own has held a 3 day event in 2015, 2016 and this year with DJ's & performers giving us time so that we can collect donations for Great Ormond Street Hospital. In  both 2015 and 2016 - we cashed out and donated via JustGiving without any issues  but this year I've been asked to prove my identity (in spite of being a player since 2006 with a premium account in goodstanding and landholding) and now I'm being asked to prove that the event happened by providing blog posts, SL Events (for an event in July!) and it would seem that a FaceBook page for the event won't do...

We were considering a small scale event in September because we had some folks on holiday or tech issues and couldn't perform but if the strictures/registration are going to be lengthy then we shan't bother or we'll just have a MOAP to the JustGiving page and hope that folks donate anyway.

Has anyone come across a knowledgebase article or wiki dealing with this issue i.e. fundraising for a small charity? Unless the Lab's approach is codified then folks might be discouraged from holding small fundraisers if they can't get the L$ out easily to make a donation (in our case we're taking about L$200k so I dont have that sort of money in RL to make the donation and just use the L$ donated - I would feel VERY uneasy about doing that anway).

I don't know of any particulars, I have not seen any myself

That said, I AM glad that LL is doing at least something, albeit very little(and probably in some cases, kinda pointless) to *attempt to deter fraudulent "charities" and "events". There are too many of them in sl, and far too many of them leave a lot to be desired when one attempts to try and figure out where the money is really going, how much of it is going, and how it is getting there. 

Until now, if what you say is correct, it has been far too easy for people to make claims that a charity is receiving the profits, without actually having to give anyone real proof of such. Of course, I still doubt whatever measures LL has in place now(if any at all) will actually help to eliminate most, perhaps any, of the fraudulent "we're donating to such and such charity"..but I suppose they have to start somewhere. I personally wish LL would make people go through a more rigorous verification phase for charities..but, alas..my opinion matters not. 

You might want to ask LL directly on the specifics. My search rounded up all of about nothing, well current information anyway. 

@Tari LandarThanks - I'm sort of on their side too - it's just the "we've changed things and by the way you should have done this but we're not telling folks..." attitude that seems implicit in their response so far. Since we started the fundraiser in 2015 - we've never been challenged to this degree, folks have been happy that we've shown the JustGiving page we've set up to receive the donation and screenies of that as we've made the final donation.

I've submitted a support ticket (as suggested) elsewhere to ask for links to guidelines/knowledgebase/sign up form they can point me to.

2 hours ago, Lyndka Cochrane said:

but this year I've been asked to prove my identity (in spite of being a player since 2006 with a premium account in goodstanding and landholding)

just a little remark:

what you say here is a normal thing, it happened to a lot of people, verfiy you are the real receiver of the money isn't really connected to the fundraising, just a verfication LL has to do ...

To the other part... i seen nothing from and about LL getting involved about fundraisers .. but can have missed it.

Also wonder how they know the money is meant for it... perhaps you tried to let the process credit directly to the funds?

4 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just a little remark:

what you say here is a normal thing, it happened to a lot of people, verfiy you are the real receiver of the money isn't really connected to the fundraising, just a verfication LL has to do ...

To the other part... i seen nothing from and about LL getting involved about fundraisers .. but can have missed it.

Also wonder how they know the money is meant for it... perhaps you tried to let the process credit directly to the funds?

Yeah - I understand all of that but I've done the same as I did last year after the event - asked to cash out to the Paypal account registered to my Second Life account, then I'll use that PayPal account to donate the JustGiving page we set up for the event.

US Treasury rules get more restrictive constantly, the financial regulation form of "security theater." So far only the very largest players in Wall Street have been promised any relief by the current administration (which is, in fact, self-dealing, but that's a whole other thread for a different forum).

The point is, no amount of red tape can be surprising anymore to those of us who must file US taxes from a foreign jurisdiction, so seemingly absurd levels of scrutiny for charitable contributions (that the Feds might suspect of potential terrorist money-laundering) can't be a surprise now either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.