Secondlife #2 - 2015 Beta

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr, Altberg (a.k.a.Ebbe Linden), Linden Lab CEO, made perfectly clear that SL inventories will not be available on the "New Platform" (They have not named it yet). So, this "New Platform" cannot be a "sequel", but a  parallel, independant development.

From what Linden Lab officials announced so far the "New Platform" might be related to the SL experience to a certain degree, but no one knows anything specifical - except that there will be avatars and 3D objects and that you can use your SL account name. BUT: It definately will not be a "Second Life Two" or something. Second Life will still remain, even when the "New Platform" will go online.

Alpha testing will be (so they think) late this year, but you must be Maya savy for this. If you want to know more, ask Mr. Altberg or the Investors. They obviously are the only ones who are authorised to talk.

What Vivienne said.

Linden Lab is indeed creating a new platform.  As far as any of us knows, the only things which will be transferable are our names, friends and linden.

While it's true that many people are referring to it as SL2, this is only because LL is unwilling to give it a proper name.  In fact, they've been very careful not to associate their new glorious platform with the SL moniker... I can only imagine that this is extremely deliberate.

As far as signing up for beta on the new platform... I've no idea.  But you can rest assured that I'll be one of the first in line once it's announced.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

As far as signing up for beta on the new platform... I've no idea.  But you can rest assured that I'll be one of the first in line once it's announced.

I think it's invitation only. In any case it's clear that they only want content creators working with Maya for this first stage. (That doesn't mean content for the new platform will be completely Maya dependant, just that they've chosen to start there.)

I want to emphasize Vivienne's point: This new platform is not a successor to Second Life. It's a completely different product with completely different features and targetting completely different users. Ebbe Linden has made it clear that LL intends to run Second Life even after the new platform has been launched. He didn't say for how how long but I think we can safely assume that SL will survive for as long as LL makes money from it and that should be a long, long time still.

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Mr, Altberg (a.k.a.Ebbe Linden), Linden Lab CEO, made perfectly clear that SL inventories will not be available on the "New Platform" (They have not named it yet).

Do you have more information about that, Vivienne? Last time I saw an official statement about this, Ebbe Linden was talking about some content being transferable some not. That was a year or so ago though and lots must have changed since then.

ChinRey wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I think it's invitation only. In any case it's clear that they only want content creators working with Maya for this first stage. (That doesn't mean content for the new platform will be completely Maya dependant, just that they've chosen to start there.)

Considering the fact that both the OP and I were referencing the beta stage, your reference to the first stage doesn't necessarily apply.  That being said, it's quite possible that the beta stage will be invitation only as well.

...Dres  (You can never tell how LL may decide to screw things up next.)

Vivienne Schell wrote:

Do you have more information about that, Vivienne? Last time I saw an official statement about this, Ebbe Linden was talking about some content being transferable some not. That was a year or so ago though and lots must have changed since then.

There is no other valid information than the original one, therefore the original one is still valid. I´m pretty sure that Altberg would have mentioned any policy change on such an essential topic. He did not. He only "specified" (in another of these wishiwashi interviews with overfriendly reporters)  that "some" meshes made for SL "might" be usable for the "new platform". That´s a "nothing" to me. But the SL inventories as they are will not be usable, for sure.

IF I was beta testing the sequal [sic] I would have signed a non-disclosure agreement which would have prevented me from telling anybody anything about it in these forums

***and it would certainly not have allowed me to encourage the participation of random Second Lifers who might not be trusted by Peter Gray to be hyper-enthusiastic about the new platform***

Vivienne Schell wrote:

If i were a reporter at the Guardian i´d give a damn on non-disclosure agreements. Unfortunately the Guardian isn´t interested in the fate of Linden Lab customers or Second Life anymore...:matte-motes-nerdy:

FROM the number of typos in your previous posts I had rather assumed you WERE a reporter for the Guardian . . .

***I know, I know, you get very excited, even agitated about this issue . . . ***

Vivienne Schell wrote:

If i were a reporter at the Guardian i´d give a damn on non-disclosure agreements. Unfortunately the Guardian isn´t interested in the fate of Linden Lab customers or Second Life anymore...:matte-motes-nerdy:

This could be a great, new, drinking game... take a shot anytime you recognize someone who's actually interested in the fate of LL's customers or SL itself, who isn't entirely insane, heavily sedated or in dire need of N/AA.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Vivienne Schell wrote:

This could be a great, new, drinking game... take a shot anytime you recognize someone who's actually interested in the fate of LL's customers or SL itself, who isn't entirely insane, heavily sedated or in dire need of N/AA.

...Dres

TEETOTALLERS would love that game!

***Presumably the LL Marketing department and senior management don't do alcohol***

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Vivienne Schell wrote:

...Dres

TEETOTALLERS
would love that game!

***Presumably the LL Marketing department and senior management don't do alcohol***

Notice I purposely excluded stupid people.

...Dres

• 1 month later...

Naiman Broome wrote:

Hello , does anybody knows if there will be the possibility to create content in this Sansara project Aka SL2 ?

It's likely that there will be some inworld tools too to create content.

Content Creation and C# as the Scripting Language

Some quotes from the link above:

"The in-world tools will start to focus mostly on how you can lay things out. so I can import a lot of things, but then sort-of place them, rotate, scale, and things of that nature."

"We’re also exploring technologies like voxels to think of ways to make it easy for non-3D experts to be able to create environments and structures."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.