Second Life *IS* a Game

LepreKhaun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I don't think it gets that deep with the "it's a game" crowd.  It is my opinion that most (though not all; nothing is absolute) use "it's a game" as an instant release of more responsibility for their actions and attitudes in world. 

Thank you, Kenbro... it is as I expected.

What I don't understand is how you arrive at this opinion.  Since I don't make a habit of asking people what they think SL is, I have no information, even anecdotal, with which to determine it's veracity... do you?

Could it be that because some individuals have used SL being only a game in order to justify their bad behavior, that you now feel it necessary to paint all (or most) SL-is-a-game claimers with the same brush?  Is there any evidence, whatsoever, that most aren't just here to enjoy themselves and wouldn't dream of purposely acting like an ass to their fellow users?  Or is their just not taking SL as seriously as you, perhaps some sort of threat to your virtual world view?

...Dres

Let me clarify a few points.  I am assuming we are talking about that vocal group of residents who are outspoken about it, such as those who feel the need to create a thread about it in the forums, or who use it to trivialize events that take place in Second Life.  I am sure there are vast numbers of residents who never give it a thought, those who you say are just out to enjoy their Second Life.  I admitted it is not all inclusive.  Also, I did not state they use it as an excuse only for "bad" actions or attitudes; sometimes it's used as a release from responsibility in a situation.

I suppose I am just basing my opinion on the admittedly anecdotal evidence we see here in the forums where someone brushes off the hurt feelings, monetary loss, relationship loss, or other misfortunes with "it's just a game."  We see it often.  

Myself, I think foremost it's a platform, and you can play a game on the platform, but it's not a point I feel that strongly about and usually don't get involved in the debate.  I just thought you asked a good question.  

steph Arnott wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I don't think it gets that deep with the "it's a game" crowd.  It is my opinion that most (though not all; nothing is absolute) use "it's a game" as an instant release of more responsibility for their actions and attitudes in world. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Well thank you for that, not.

You are certainly welcome, not.  

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Kenbro Utu wrote:

Thank you, Kenbro... it is as I expected.

What I don't understand is how you arrive at this opinion.  Since I don't make a habit of asking people what they think SL is, I have no information, even anecdotal, with which to determine it's veracity... do you?

Could it be that because some individuals have used SL being only a game in order to justify their bad behavior, that you now feel it necessary to paint all (or most) SL-is-a-game claimers with the same brush?  Is there any evidence, whatsoever, that most aren't just here to enjoy themselves and wouldn't dream of purposely acting like an ass to their fellow users?  Or is their just not taking SL as seriously as you, perhaps some sort of threat to your virtual world view?

...Dres

Let me clarify a few points.  I am assuming we are talking about that vocal group of residents who are outspoken about it, such as those who feel the need to create a thread about it in the forums, or who use it to trivialize events that take place in Second Life.  I am sure there are vast numbers of residents who never give it a thought, those who you say are just out to enjoy their Second Life.  I admitted it is not all inclusive.  Also, I did not state they use it as an excuse only for "bad" actions or attitudes; sometimes it's used as a release from responsibility in a situation.

I suppose I am just basing my opinion on the admittedly anecdotal evidence we see here in the forums where someone brushes off the hurt feelings, monetary loss, relationship loss, or other misfortunes with "it's just a game."  We see it often.  

Myself, I think foremost it's a platform, and you can play a game on the platform, but it's not a point I feel that strongly about and usually don't get involved in the debate.  I just thought you asked a good question.  

This makes sense.  It seems to me that it's merely a tactic used by uncaring, douche bags in order to belittle other people's problems (perhaps, in an attempt to make themselves feel better about their own existence), simply because... well, they're uncaring, douche bags.  What I don't do is ascribe that label to anyone who says they think SL is a game (I'm not saying you do).

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3817 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.