Second Life: First Expectations

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good post Perrie. We were all new once!

To reply: When I joined I was hoping to find more ways to learn. I wanted to make fashions for SL. Years later I still have not found a single person willing to devote time to teaching me. That's fine; they are not here on their free time to help strangers I'm sure!

I also expected (apart from finding places to learn, and more to the point, individual tutors) to find more people in a given place.

I expected to find people easily who could answer whatever oddball question I had while learning SL.

I expected myself to learn how to use SL easier than I was doing, becasue I don't think I am a slow learner or a stupid person.

I expected things to be less frustrating.

I expected a place I could go when bewildered (found that in the forums and Forum Cartel) or someone to run a situation by (different than learning; this is more like social anthropology for virtual worlds.) "Should I click yes on that little yellow window that says it just wants to take $5L for charity?" for instance.

At first I expected it to be clearer 'what to DO' - I found that in events at Caledon. I remember going to early dance contests in different clubs, trying to earn a few $L. I remember going to Caledon events and meeting some genial people.

I did not expect hearing a constant ping! ping! ping! as many group announcements, group IMs, bite invitations, and advertisements came my way while logged in. I did not expect everyone on my friend list to see me log in and log out. I eventually learned how to deal with (change) all of those things.

I did not expect to find fun, and friendly people, and helpful people, and compassionate people, and open people, in need of compassion themselves; I did not expect SL to be as poignant at times as it was.

I did not expect the "Is SL a game or a virtual world" debate to still be going strong after years.

I did not expect to find so much imagination, creativity, artistry and skill in one place, and all for free.

I did not expect a lot of things, but I'm glad I stayed.

HI Perrie and all!  Great thread!

Well, back in 2006 I was doing some searching on the web for the after life.  Search results came up with Second Life and I clicked, and installed the viewer.  My machine was too old and would not run SL.  It was time for a new machine anyway, so in a few days I went out and got a Dell.  The Spec were about the same as yours Perrie.  I loaded the machine up with Second Life and was rezzed on Aug. 9th, 2006.  The computer just barely ran the viewer  I rezzed at the old orientation island.  I half heartily tried some of the tutorials.  Could not get the ball on the table, and fell into the ravine at the end where you leave and enter the world.  I stumbled and bumbled around for about 1 year.  I partnered (Not with LadySue), had pixel smexx, un-partnered,explored and had fun!  I also introduced my current partner both RL and SL to SL.  We have both been hooked ever sense.  Both of us started a small community on the mainland on the sim called Belemede.  I would take in new residents and give them a place to stay, a house and a place to set home, in hope that they would learn and stay.  Most did. In June of 09, we outgrew Belmeade, so I decided to buy a class 5 sim, private estate.  And Lagrange Spaceport was created on June 4th 2009.  I sell the land around the shores of the sim and the middle is the spaceport.  Works out great!

As far as first expectations go, it was not what I expected.  I thought there would be people everywhere!  Large cities and communities, bustling with people!  This was not the case.  I became interested in building, and hacked out some houses.  Then, as I am a space nut, began to build spacecraft, and continue to do that to this day.

Second Life as become on the the most important things in my life.  I am so glad I found it!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3949 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.