Highlighted
Recognized Resident

Sansar and Secondlife

Will Secondlife still be around after Sansar is released?

Re: Sansar and Secondlife

[ Edited ]

Reply to kurtstevenson - view message

LL have said that Second Life will run alongside Sansar for as long as it remains profitable.

Which is basically what they would do without Sansar - run it as long as it remains profitable.

Labels are like rocks: you can use them to navigate, or you can wreck yourself on them.
Recognized Resident

Reply to Kelli May - view message

Ok cool. I was afraid that when the Lindens release Project Sansar they were going to be like "um ok guys we are sorry but SL is gone. Sansar is here now. deal with it and give us money."

Honored Resident

[ Edited ]

Magic 8-ball says it is decidedly so.

There are some clues here and there, such as our current CEO making comments in interviews. One comment earlier on was that he hoped Sansar would be more appealing and that people would "want" to move to Sansar. In the Interview " aptly titled "Project Sansar: The Forthcoming Successor to Second Life Will Focus On VR", it doesn't smack of anything about running two parallel but different worlds.

Assuming Sansar does work out, which will take some time to be ready for prime time, in the interim the schtick will be "we have no plans to close Second Life". Until of course Sansar begins to earn more than SL. If the population begins to drop in SL, then it will be closed.

Although it won't happen in the near future, there may be signs of that happening. For instance, LL started working more aggressively on maturity ratings.

We asked "are you going to close the teen grid?".

LL replied "We have no plans to close the teen grid at this time.".

Six months later, the teen grid was closed.

Like that.

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts -- Stephen King
Honored Resident

Reply to DartAgain - view message

Surely the whole idea of a VR sim is flawed - Why would you want to put on head gear and dance about your living room breaking stuff.  Its bad enough with the Nintendo game consoles where you have a chance of at least seeing the cat!

However, if there was a Matrix style technology that allowed you to 'jack into the net', then that would be a game changer.

Reply to DartAgain - view message

Ebbe has changed his tone with regards to hoping SL residents will want move, because those of us that stay in SL stay because we like it or we would have gone else where long ago

I think LL are aiming at a totally different audience for Sansar now!

Honored Resident

[ Edited ]

Reply to Phoebe Avro - view message

Ah, we're still the low rent crowd then. Mark Kingdon kind of had that view when he was CEO, we don't want 'you' we want corporate and facebook folks. That didn't work out so well, because there's a finite interest in virtual worlds and they already had us.

Someone said game developers are the intended market. Or maybe they think millions will come if they build a Google Lively kind of thing others will draw in millions for them. Or that they can do a better Cloud Party.

We know they want to ressurect custom entry points, which we already tried with SL long ago and that didn't draw in developers pulling in millions on their own. People looking to build custom projects aren't that interested in developing under someone elses umbrella when their users are already monetized and bled half dry.

@mgjackson Who knows with the VR thing? Game developers are "meh" about it in general ... saw it, got the t-shirt, we'll see if there's a demand.

LL could be banking on another hype wave. The thinking certainly seems to be that if the hardware is a hit, it'll put virtual worlds on the map in a big way. LL

Could be anything, overly optimistic views about dorky headgear and nausea inducing VR, or it could be a hype tool to pull in some investors, get a sizable loan ... my Magick 8-Ball is non committal.

Phil (Don't worry, it'll scale) Rosedale's company is banking on it, who has LL as an investor and then the antics of the space.cadets venture joined in. It's like VR/virtual worlds corporate polyamory at the moment.

Ah well, an SL re-write and strengthening the core product would have been the start of the path forward for LL, if they were generous enough to enable opportunity rather than try to own everything and monetize your pocket lint

He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts -- Stephen King
Topics: 86

in my opinion, Sansar and SL are totally different. So different that I think SL will be around for some time. Sansar is meant for building virtual experiences... I don't feel like it will ever be a world like SL.
I am the mother flippin, snuggly wuggly Pwincess Buttacwup..what else do you need to know?
Resident

Reply to seanabrady - view message

What gets me on all of this the people that play SL have had a buiness in SL and have build is SL for years was not asked to be in on the first wav

[ Edited ]

Eventually SL as it is now will become obsolete and so I think Sansar should be developed with eventual replacement of SL in mind.  I want to see SL thrive for many more years.  Whatever Sansar is like to start with, it should future-proofed so as to be be capable of accommodating the features that SL residents value, like creation, customisation, some form of land ownership and an economy.   

The idea of merging Sansar and SL when the time is right should still should not be ruled out completely.

Arrived in Second Life 27th September 2006.