SS Galaxy has closed down

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

irihapeti wrote:

i disagree with the sentiment

Yadni's continues to exist bc it means something to Yadni

+

how would nuking the Governor Linden mansion serve us better?

what would serve us better on that spot? A garden? A park? And a monument with a plaque that says "Here is the site of the olde worlde Governor Linden Mansion. Is not here anymore bc we nuked it. bc is better for you the person to read this plaque and go here to this website to see a picture of what it was we nuked"

That's your opinion and that's fine.

As for Yadni's Junkyard, if it means something to him he should do what he already does there and get rid of the rest. By that I mean show the history of Yadni's, tell his story, and make it a memorial park or museum. He doesn't need to have the tons of outdated freebie items that end up causing problems all over Second Life and also discourages new users who think nothing works here or fits on their land or puts them over script limits. They should come to Yadni's Junkyard to see what an amazing person and builder he was, not to walk off with a lot of useless crap that makes them think SL is a worthless POS.

As for the Linden places, they should actively use them or sell the land off. No plaques, no monuments, no nothing unless they are active Linden locations. The mansion and the village are full of missing pieces, half finished projects, single parts up in the air, and notices that read "We are working to restore..." dated in 2009.

You know who goes to Linden locations the most? New users. From those empty desolate places they go to other Linden locations, which are also empty and many unfinished. They also go to the Infohubs where there are empty signs and sections that look like they should have something in them. In one of the first InfoHubs new users discover they still have up the feature photo and landmark link to the Gnubie Store, a place that closed in January 2011.

I don't mind those places staying in existence, I actually like a lot of them, but if they are not being maintained there is no purpose for them other than as a historical place that has been forgotten and abandoned by the very people who should care most about it. New users see those places, see the unfinished clutter, the outdated info and links, the notes from 2009, and then many decide that Second Life is a dying place and give up and get off.

What do you think will happen to those places once Second Life closes down? There won't even be a memorial anywhere for them because the grid will be gone. If SL doesn't get new users and keep new users, interest them enough to spend money and time here, Second Life will go away. It will shut down.

Abandoned buildings do not inspire people to stay in Second Life.

That's my opinion. It's obviously not yours. We will probably never see eye to eye on this topic.

But I will say this: I talk to a lot of new users and almost universally they say something akin to, "Yeah. Nice empty building. But let me ask you, what can I DO here in Second Life? It's been pretty boring so far."

*shrugs*

We are going to lose this if we are not careful.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Yeah, I read that on a blog. Color me skeptical.

Yeah, I'm skeptical as well. But, you know, I don't really care about the actual reason why it shut down, only that it shut down. The owner(s) had his reasons, didn't care enough about it continuing on SL to look for other options or people to take it over, and so he/they killed it off.

I'm a bit disheartened that it is now gone, but to be honest I have not visited there or even thought about it in probably 5 or more years. The people I really feel sorry for are the residents and shop owners who had no time to find some place else to go.

A week notice? That's pretty lame.

i post a pic here which I have posted before. i call it Prims Forsaken

Snapshot_002.JPG

is modern me on the left. mesh

and olde me on the right. not mesh. from a time in the past

am standing on the hill overlooking Stillman Bazaar. Looking toward Tower of Prims

is a heap of olde world stuff in the bazaar. Ancient stuff made by ancient people. Same all the land round. Prims and prims and linden trees for miles. On land owned by even more ancient people

in the far far far distance is the remains of the Jessie Wall, and farther across the sea is Clementina, residence of the Kawana (Governor Linden)  

is like a living museum is this part of SL

+

who comes here to this ancient part of SL?

quite a lot of new people do. Is quite interesting what they say when they come, and what they dont say. They found it in Search. They came to discover the origins of SL. To be in it. To feel it. To touch it. To walk with ancients. To be moved and touched by what the ancients did in SL in the beginning times

irihapeti wrote:

Markham Weatherwax wrote:

There are a lot of places in SL that should have been shut down a long time ago. Yadni's Junkyard for one. It serves no purpose and actually causes problems in Second Life because it gives away tons of old items and scripts. Yadni continues paying to keep it going, even though Yadni doesn't live here anymore.

The Lindens are no better. They keep lots of useless places around, but don't upkeep or maintain them. Linden Village is a joke, as is Governor Linden's Mansion. They'd be better served (and better serve us as well) if they got rid of those places and made a big historical museum with photos of all the places and events that were once popular in SL. They could include feature places like Yadni's Junkyard and the SS Galaxy, to name two out of hundreds if not thousands.

i disagree with the sentiment

Yadni's continues to exist bc it means something to Yadni

+

how would nuking the Governor Linden mansion serve us better?

what would serve us better on that spot? A garden? A park? And a monument with a plaque that says "Here is the site of the olde worlde Governor Linden Mansion. Is not here anymore bc we nuked it. bc is better for you the person to read this plaque and go here to this website to see a picture of what it was we nuked"

I still live in the house where I was born and raised. (okay, I was born in a hospital nearby, because my head was too big for Mom's pelvis and they had to dig me out with a backhoe). I've no intention of razing my old bedroom to replace it with a room in which to show photographs of my old bedroom.

Pamela Galli wrote:

So what DO they say (and not say)?

they say: wow! people used to make all the stuff inworld out of prims. This is so retro cool

sometimes they say: Interesting in a archaic way. but I dont see its relevance to my own future

what they dont say is: This is a waste of space. LL should nuke all the olde world stuff on their parcels, and sell the land off. So that new owners can build more modern structures and/or provide services that fit with a future I the observer imagine for myself

those who do imagine themselves buying into this area,and some actual do, do so bc of the history. To be a part of that history

+

i disagree with the sentiment bc is the same sentiment that RL property developers have. Who will cheerfully bulldoze entire city blocks and swathes of natural countryside and fill it with modern materials boxes, bc these are more useful to their hoped-for new tenants and buyers. New tenants and buyers they actual dont have when they start up the bulldozers

the RL property developers have heaps of projections tho, heaps and heaps, that foretell a rich future teeming with new tenants and buyers

and sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. Either way the history, the ways of the people who came before, is consigned to the bin

+

about nuking

the simplist way to nuke stuff, is to deprecate it. Turn it off. Chuck the old stuff in the bin. Start over with new stuff. Apple do it that way. Microsoft dont. LL is like Microsoft in that way. Build futures on the foundations of the past. Legacy

Look, I am not going to continue this back and forth with you because I've ready said we'll probably never see eye to eye on this. You want to argue, not have an evolving conversation or debate.

I will say that nuke, bulldoze, tear down, are not relevant here. You can take everything in a build into your inventory in one block, then put it back exactly where it was or in a new place, complete and intact, in one click. The build isn't destroyed. Even if you delete it LL can bring it back from the backups. It's not like real life at all.

If SL was like real life those Linden buildings would begin to fall apart after years being empty, neglected, and not maintained. Real historical structures have to be cared for, heated and cooled, and repaired on a regular basis if you want them to remain standing. You want to argue RL issues in SL context, but the two do not equate.

I said before, keep them on the grid, but only as long as they are being maintained. You locked onto "if not, sell the land" and went into a diatribe about real life property developers. You are raging about part of what I wrote, not the entirety. You want to argue a point that is out of context.

Stillman Bazaar is updated, maintained, managed. The Village and the mansion are not. That's what we were talking about, or at least I was. You seem to have it in mind that I am talking about every place of historical value in SL that is empty and underused, and I am not. I never was. It's obvious that I never was. I guess you are bored and just want to argue to pass the time.

We should be in-world DOing something, if there was anything to DO in SL these days.

*grin*

Let's agree to disagree. You are not winning me over and I am not winning you over, because we are not having the same conversation.

is not a diatribe. Is a explanation of mindsets

paraphrase your pov: "if something is not being maintained, is in disrepair, or is neglected. or outdated then a) update it or b) remove it

this is a mindset

you specifically mention Linden Village and Governor Mansion. What about Help Island Public and Orientation Island Public. They are in a state of benign neglect also. And the whole games areas next to Ahern and also next to Nix on what was once the old teen grid

Is no c) in the a|b mindset. c) being leave it as it is, and approach from a different pov, issues which are quite complex requiring more than a simplistic a|b remedy

c) is a mindset also

+

about places like HIP/OIP. What is it that they can teach these days? Nothing much really at all, that cant be found already using the v3 viewer help system

about LL maybe losing new business if they dont clean it all up. They are cleaning it up. Is called Project Sansar

about SL specifically

how do LL give people something to do? Can create a toolset so that users can create immersive experiences for themselves and others. Is in beta this now

+

i am not trying to convince you of anything. I am putting the alternative viewpoint and course of actions, actions which are actually happening now. That you seem to not have considered these actions when forming your pov then I dunno why

that you disagree with my disagree is not of any issue to me. Nor is it necessary to agree to disagree

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.